Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. Purchased a PPS 9mm. I felt I did my due diligence researching the weapon as well actually firing it many times at the range. Unfortunately, when I made my purchase, (purchased online) I was not aware of the "H" vs "S" disconnector variation. As you can guess I have the H disconnector weapon. My question is this, living in Miami, Fl. the gunsmith that I contacted to switch the disconnector tells me that he will not do it because the part is riveted to the gun and as such, he feels changing the part out will make the gun likely to misfire. I purchased the regular disconnector from Smith and Wesson but have no one to make the change. Is the gunsmith here correct in his assertion? If not any suggestions as to whom I can contact to make this switch? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would say that the person you spoke with is full of it. Misfire....? I wish that gunsmiths (and people in general) were more honest when they don't know something, to just say so. He would have been better off saying, "You know, I don't work on Walthers (or the PPS) very much, but if you call their customer support/service, they should be able to tell you the best route to take."

No. People switch out the disconnectors all the time and it has never been known to cause an issue with the PPS.

There are tutorials on this forum to walk you through it if you feel bold. If not, you can send it to S&W.

And it will make a HUGE difference when you get it back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your input. I did contact S&W and per multiple customer service reps, S&W will NO longer change the part. They tell me since the gun was made specifically for Massachusetts they cannot do the change. My gut feeling is attorneys are involved if you know what I mean (cover your u know what). So from what i gather so far is that I have to find another gunsmith either here in Miami or elsewhere. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would not be surprised if S&W changed their stance on the Mass. compliant guns because they are just now bringing their own PPS clone (M&P Shield) to market as an alternative for Mass. buyers. They (S&W) have said the Shield gets to have a 'normal' trigger pull in that state because it is also equipped with a manual safety. 'Can't get your PPS the way you like it? Buy one of these.' :(

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Best bet would be to start taking it apart, don't remove anything you don't think you can put back. See how far you get I'm thinking you'll have no problem. Just take your time work over a tray or cookie pan incase you drop something and you'll be fine. You don't have anything to lose.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Use the money you would spend for a smith to buy a set of brass punches, look at the disassemble thread and get to it, TAKE your time do it slowly and do it right

·
Registered
693 Posts
You're not entirely alone Jam, I overlooked the product numbers on Bud's as well and ordered the WAP10006 instead of the WAP10001. However I realized my error about four hours later, shot them an email and wouldn't ya know it, it had already "gone to shipping" and there was "nothing I could do about it".

Except instead of accepting that, I called up my FFL, asked him to kindly reject the transfer and it was thus sent immediately back to Bud's for a refund. I then promptly hopped on JetGuns and ordered the correct pistol and a 3rd mag (the 9mm 6) for only 6 dollars more than the pistol and just the two 2 mags were on Bud's. :D

It of course tacked on a couple weeks for me getting the right one, and Bud's didn't send the refund until weeks after I had received the 10001 from Jet, but it sounded like a better plan than having to deal with the dreaded 'H'... which sounds like a real pain; very sorry you're stuck in this position!

Perhaps try giving a different, more talented gunsmith than the one who gave you that response, the printed out copies of the instructions for the H > S switch found in the aforementioned thread. That way a 'pro' is doing it with correct instructions and you don't have to deal with it / bubba it up (no offense).

Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's really not that hard....

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My PPS also came with the "H" disconnector. I ordered the part and replaced the "H" with an "S", wasn't terribly difficult, but I would not want to do it again.

Send the pistol to S&W!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Searcher put this sticky together with a lot of Walther resources. In the link in the initial post, there are some smiths later down the list. Worth a try.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...s-gunsmith-unsure-who-contact-start-here.html

Like others here, I have broken down my PPS completely and reassembled it, now using it for CC and it works flawlessly, but I don't want to have to do it again.

Fortunately, I don't think you have to go down all the way to replace the H.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update

Well I have now tried two other Gun Smiths in the Miami area. One with gunsmithing experience since 1978 called me back two days after leaving the pistol with him and left this on my voice mail: "This gun is a F___king nightmare" You need special tools to change the disconnector. Needless to say not a pleasant msg to receive lol. Picked up the pistol and called another gunsmith which was recommended by one of the largest gun dealers here in Miami. This gentleman at least had experience working with the PPS. He told me that the reason no one wants to touch that gun is because replacing the original "H" disconnector would be a big liability risk for him and his shop. He flat out told me that the change will not make the gun unsafe to fire. He just does not want the liability b/c if the gun where to misfire for some strange reason, he would potentially be held liable. I do not have gunsmithing experience. I am extreemly hesitant to break it down and do it myself. Is there any gunsmith that the members can recommend that would do this for me knowing the potential liabilities? I have tried Earls as suggested and he will not do it either. Others that I have contacted out of state say they can but when asked if they have done it before they say no. The guy here in Miami that I gave the pistol to was very confident when I left it. Two days later he gave up. If not I have a massachusetts trigger PPS with a hundred rounds in her for sale cheap. Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Jeeesh...

Send me the gun and a couple hundred rounds of FMJ (as payment) and I'll do it. Sometimes I think "gunsmith" is code for "monkey with a gun store".

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Use the money you would spend for a smith to buy a set of brass punches, look at the disassemble thread and get to it, TAKE your time do it slowly and do it right
Well. This gentleman at least had experience working with the PPS. He told me that the reason no one wants to touch that gun is because replacing the original "H" disconnector would be a big liability risk for him and his shop. .
With that logic wouldn't he be liable for working on any gun? Why did it take him 2days to realize he was liable? Doesn't he have liability insurance? Talk about a clown. Ed

·
Registered
503 Posts
That is a said group of gunsmiths you have in the Miami area. :(

I am sure most (if not all) of us on the forum that have disassembled and reassembled our PPS without issue are not gunsmiths.

Sure, it isn't as simple as a Glock or an XD for that matter, but it isn't rocket science.

Two points this"gunsmiths" made really get at me. First, there is no more liability for working on the PPS than any other firearm. Secondly, no special tools are required to work on the PPS, unless they are referring to a work ethic and cajones, which they very well may not have.

Sorry you are going through all of this trouble to get this done. I hope you don't give up on it as the PPS is a great firearm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts