Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer the look of the FE finish to the black and was interested in purchasing one...BUT...after reading that the FE coat flakes off, I'm not so sure anymore.

Has anyone experimented with spraying the FE coat with a layer of Duracoat? Did it work? Is it advisable?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would not be too overly concerned about the finish issue that some have reported. My FE has been through duty qualification and daily carry for months both in a high ride hip holster and shoulder rig and frequent trips to the range, so considerable amount of both actually firing and time in a holster and finish on mine looks like new. Not sure why mine is holding up perfectly. But in any event, appears not an issue to all FEs or all owners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! So it doesn't seem to effect ALL the FEs. Just in case, I wrote these guys; /www.ironridgeguns.com, to see if they do duracoat clearcoat jobs. Once they reply, I'll post an update.

Even if they don't do clearcoats, it would be pretty cool to buy an all black and duracoat it green or tan. Just an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would not be too overly concerned about the finish issue that some have reported. My FE has been through duty qualification and daily carry for months both in a high ride hip holster and shoulder rig and frequent trips to the range, so considerable amount of both actually firing and time in a holster and finish on mine looks like new. Not sure why mine is holding up perfectly. But in any event, appears not an issue to all FEs or all owners.

I would be. I've never even fired the FE I bought last week and the coating is coming off the trigger guard already. I just finished packing it up for it's trip to S&W.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interesting. One of the holsters I tend to use more often is an El Paso Saddlery 'High Slide' model that I had previously purchased for an H&K P2000SK which fits the PPS pretty good. For weapon retention purposes, I have the adjustment screw tightened down so far that it takes a great deal of muscle to pull it out of the holster actually bordering on locked down so tight almost cannot be withdrawn, so substantial amount of drag as the PPS is inserted and pulled out. Would think if mine was going to lose some of the finish, this would have done it.

Here it is in that holster:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/stoshie/ElPaso.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/stoshie/PPSHighSlide003.jpg

Here it is after what was probably several hundred times being inserted and pulled out under high tension in that High Slide.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/stoshie/PPSincase.jpg

I now have probably twice that much use on it and still looks fine. I can not explain why mine is holding up so well, maybe that will change tomorrow, don't know, but looks ok now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am inclined to believe that no FE PPS will retain 100% of this finish, unless the pistol is locked in it's case and not touched. I say this in all seriousness. There is clearly nothing in the way of what we would consider to be "durability" in this finish, and if you handle and shoot your FE PPS, that finish is going to start to come off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts