Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering how you guys and gals like to carry your P99's.

I prefer the Fobus paddle holster for strong side carry, but depending on the situation and my clothing I could go with a cross draw shoulder holster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a fobus owb, a desantis owd leather, and a don hume iwb. I though iwb would be uncomformtable but its not at all and thats what i use most of the time now. the desantis leather is very nice but it drags my pants down.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Interesting survey....

I would like to add a small fact that should enter into your choice of CCW methods:

I think it was Toeball that mentioned how poorly most of us are at quick drawing from a CCW position....we just don't practice that much at this wearing various types of clothes.
So to equalize this deficiency....we can place some hope in "suprise" and "planning ahead".

To me this means placing a CCW weapon in a position that is a "natural grab" for me and not changing this position unless absolutely necessary. It would be very embarrassing to grab for my CCW under extreme stress and grab at the wrong location. I have found, that more times than not, I am dressing around the CCW, rather than placing the CCW around the clothing I am wearing at the time.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread....

JF.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I train for both carry methods (shoulder holster and strong side hip). 95% of the time I wear a shoulder holster is for a back up P99 (I'm a bodyguard and private investigator). I train to go for hip first and shoulder second. I think I have only worn a shoulder holster by itself once.

I usually only carry one 99 in a fobus, but depending on the degree of the protection detail, I will carry two (same caliber) one in a fobus and one in a shoulder holster.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I plan on carrying using IWB holster. I have a P99 AS 9mm and a P99C AS 9mm. I plan on using the compact for my main carry in a Don Hume IWB but I cant get it out of my head that its to big to et away with. Obviously some of this si in my head but even after getting over that. What are your thoughts on the fullsize or the compact with IWB. IM 6'1" 250 and a jeans and untucked t-shirt guy. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BlakeTyner @ Dec. 29 2005,00:41)]Where's the SmartCarry option?
Has anyone used the SmartCarry? If so what were your thoughts! Im having trouble figuring out how Im im gonna conceal carry my P99c.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Strong side IWB in a quality holster and belt combo will work with almost any clothing arrangement. If you get a quality rig IWB is comfortable for all day and then some. I havent tried cross draw IWB. Who makes a holster with the reverse cant? If youre wearing it on your belt, dont go buying a $10 China Mart belt and hope that it will do the job. I cant tell you how many people bitch about how hard it is to conceal their gun... only to be trying it with a flimsy POS belt that couldnt even hold their pants up, much less than an added pound of steel. Splurgeo n a quality belt and holster combo and you'll be thankful you did for years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mizzle,

As far as the SmartCarry is concerned, I bought it after reading a lot of positive reviews over on GlockTalk. As of right now, my Texas CHL is "Processing" so I'm not legal to carry yet, but I've been wearing the thing around the house to try and get used to it. First of all, the fellow that owns the company will talk to you personally to answer questions and resolve any issues you might have. From ordering online to having the holster on my doorstep was about 3 days. The customer experience nets an A++.

Regarding concealment, you will most likely not find a system that conceals as well as SmartCarry. I am 6'0 and 145 soaking wet, so it's rather difficult to find a spot on my frame where a pistol isn't really obvious, but nobody can tell when it's in my SC. From the wearer's perspective, looking straight down, it looks pretty good, too. Comfort is an A+. You'd think having a big hunk of steel/polymer riding on your man parts would not be such a comfortable thing, but sometimes I forget I'm wearing it. Using the restroom will take a little practice (with an unloaded weapon) but after a time or two you'll be all set.

I'm able to fully conceal a full framed P99 .40 along with the extra magazine. Tight jeans would be a problem, obviously. Drawing the weapon involves using two hands; your weak side thumb to pull your waistband out, and your strong side to physically retrieve the gun. I've experimented with wearing the rig a bit higher up, so that the butt is exposed enough to draw with one hand...results are good, but you won't be able to sit down comfortably when wearing it that way.

Drawing from a seated position requires straightening your body. Imagine how you look in your car when you have to dig our your wallet, and that's basically how it's done.

Some people are a little scared because it's basically just denim fabric covering the trigger guard. I followed the advice of a GlockTalker who said to unload the gun, double check, then wear it around the house for a day or a week, doing everything imaginable. At the end of that period of time, your trigger will not have moved. I did pushups, situps, ran, even physically tried to get the trigger to pull, but it never did.

I do not represent SmartCarry and, unfortunately, get no kick-backs for my recommendation. I think it is a rig that certainly has its place, particularly if you have a habit of wearing shorts (which I don't). You can wear a business suit with everything tucked in and nobody would know you were carrying.

Happy to answer more questions if you have 'em.
Blake

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I work in a small, private business office. Dress is business casual so I always carry my 99 in a portfolio and have a Kel-tec 3at on my ankle. When my dress code allows, I always carry in the same place that I shoot from when shooting USPSA, strong side hip, Fobus paddle. Same gun, same trigger system (AS) same place all the time. Muscle memory reinforcement.

·
Registered
93 Posts

The Belt Man is making holsters and sending out a new catalogue in a couple of weeks. If I don't get one of his holsters I'll get the Answer from Tucker Gunleather, pictured above, but with V-Clips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don Hume IWB...I'm a full time student (have to leave weapon in the truck when on campus) so I needed an easy on easy off rig...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anybody use the Alessi Talon Plus IWB? Just was wondering if the cant (compared to the Don Hume straight down) make it a lot more comfortable...???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! i thought picking a gun out was tough! Ok maybe not so tough before I had the Walthers but after was! I should have my ccw license in the coming months and every holster mfg has on their site "Why spend hundreds trying to find the perfect holster when you can get it here on your first try!" YYYUUKKK!!! Someone needs to come up with a blog(wow Im so hip!) about different holsters on different size and shaped peoples.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good luck Mizzle187. You, much like the rest of us, will soon have a box of hosters to ebay or sell on boards. Its the bane of concealed carry. There are some sites out there that offer some reviews of gear, but in the long run, holsters are a personal item. What works for me may not even come close to working for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TAZ @ Jan. 04 2006,11:35)]Good luck Mizzle187. You, much like the rest of us, will soon have a box of hosters to ebay or sell on boards. Its the bane of concealed carry. There are some sites out there that offer some reviews of gear, but in the long run, holsters are a personal item. What works for me may not even come close to working for you.
The bad thing is I have yet to find a IWB holster out there that is mad for the P99c. There are some for the SW99c but the trigger guard is different. There some for the P99 fullsize but all the mfgs dont recommend using the P99c with a fullsize P99 holster. ARRGGHHH!!!!! Milt Sparks said if I send them my gun they can make me one for my gun for an extra $50 plus the extra shipping. It would be about $200 to do this which is alot for something that might not work! LOL! Im leaning mroe and more to smartcarry!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
MOST of the full size holsters are advertised as working w/ the SW99 and the P99 - I don't see why one for the SW99 wouldn't work, even with the very slight difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dont know much about the compact versions and their differences, but unless the SW99C is RADICALLY different from the Walther P99C a leather holster designed for the SW will work for the Walther. The only place where you will run into a problem is with Kydex holsters as these use the trigger guard as the retention feature, or if the Walther trigger guard is longer or bigger than the SW version. Currently I am carrying a 2005 mfg. P99 in a Sparks Summer Special2 designed for the pre 2004 trigger guard. Not a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DTQ @ Dec. 29 2005,17:35)]

The Belt Man is making holsters and sending out a new catalogue in a couple of weeks. If I don't get one of his holsters I'll get the Answer from Tucker Gunleather, pictured above, but with V-Clips.
Does anybody know if this holster ("THE ANSWER") is availible for the Walther P99

1 - 20 of 38 Posts