Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walther P99s that are pre 2004.
When did they start calling the p99 da/sa the AS model?
Will all of the walther p99s that are DA/SA say AS on the gun?

I'm assumeing:
If it is marked P99 it is the same as the AS...DA/SA.

If the Walther is the QA it will always be marked QA.
P990 is marked P990?

If your just looking at a walther and not pulling the trigger how can you tell what it is (da/sa..qa..p990)

·
Registered
471 Posts
With my limited knowledge, I'd say by just looking at it. it would be the decocker that would give it away. It's much larger on the DA/SA, AS models....

I have a 2003 and a 2004 P99. Both are DA/SA. The 04 is marked with the "AS" and the 03 has no reference...

·
Registered
821 Posts
In 2004, when they redesigned the P99, they changed the name of the traditional DA/SA P99 to AS.  Pre 2004 P99s without "QA", "DAO", or "990", or any other designations I might have forgotten, all have the "AS" trigger system.  It just doesn't have "AS" stamped on the slide.  As a side note, in the 2003 and earlier catalogs, I believe Walther makes mention of the Anti-Stress trigger system, even before they decided to change the designation on 2004 model year.

"QA" or quick action I think will always be designated with the QA.  And if you find a 990, I think it'll say so on the slide.

SO...to recap, if you're looking at a gun that just says P99, then you've got yourself a 2003 or earlier "AS" or DA/SA pistol.  990=DAO, DAO=DAO, QA=quick action.  An "AS" on the side of the slide designates the DA/SA in 2004 models.

Was I clear?  There were a lot of questions there to answer.  Check out the P99 FAQ, its a great resource.  P99 FAQ

-stunks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hal, ya beat me to it!

AND, your answer was much clearer than mine! I tend to get overcomplicated when explaining things.

AND, you right about the decocker!

-stunks

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ah, ya did just fine, and besides, ya just barely missed it! By one minute!

·
Registered
310 Posts
The way to tell if your older P99 model is an AS or just a "standard" DA is to cock it and dry fire it. If you feel a "click" when the trigger gets about half way back, then you have an anti-stress model. The AS have that longer first SA shot...but when you get to the reset point, you can hear and feel the difference.

Without pulling the trigger (as you asked) all you can do is look at the date code. I'm not sure what year they introduced the AS system (2002 or 2003) but if it's older than that, it's probably a standard DA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts