Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've had a number of problems with my PPX 40S&W Until now I've given Walther the benefit of the doubt. I've completely lost confidence in this pistol's suitability for anything more than light intermittent use; I'll get another gun. It won't be a Walther.
I hope You do realize that the PPX is the bare bones entry model in the Walther line for 9mm and 40 S&W!

The PPX is not a P99, PPQ and absolutely nothing like a P5C!

I really believe they squeezed every penny to make that near $300. price point. If you really want to see a quality Walther buy a P5C!

If you want polymer go with a P99 or PPQ.

Maybe Walthers' are just not for you, go buy a Glock or an M&P. :confused:

My Dad lives in FL and just bought a PPX, he has nothing but good stuff to say about it! :cool:

I just wish he would have shot one of my Walthers or told be before he bought it. He has never shot one of my P99's P-5's or P-5C so he really had no Idea what a Walther was like! :eek:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I picked the PPX based on considerable research that indicated that it provided the best pistol for my limited budget.
That is your whole problem in a nut shell! You bought the PPX on a budget that really is not in line with the product you actually want!

During your considerable research how many people did you meet that shoot competitively actually use a PPX? If so, How long? If none, Why do you think that is? :eek:

I had a Walther P22 and that was a terrible pistol that ranked just above a Stoger Luger in 22LR I owned. I no longer have either pistol. Do I cry about it, no just a lesson learned!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
During my numerous conversations with Walther staff the one thing each of them stressed is that Walther does not have a "cheap" gun in their product line, and while the PPX doesn't have all the bells & whistles of some of their other guns it's still a Walther. They also said that because it's a Walther it should not be having the problems I've experienced. They added the 7000 rounds I've fired through the gun and my current usage of 1000+ rounds per month is well within the PPX's capabilities. And yes, there are a number of people shooting PPX's in competition in production and limited classes. I'm happy you apparently have the resources to simply go out and purchase pistols costing $150-300 more than a PPX. I don't. I still feel I selected the best gun for my needs and budget. Walther has told me the problems I've experienced are not normal. I've shot 600 rounds through it with the new barrel they furnished after the feed ramp issue I had. It's working fine so far. My biggest gripe with Walther at this point is that their customer service manager has not answered or returned my calls.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have no idea of the percentage of folks with problem guns versus those with problem-free guns, but I would hazard to say that the majority of folks are happy with their PPX.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
During my numerous conversations with Walther staff the one thing each of them stressed is that Walther does not have a "cheap" gun in their product line, and while the PPX doesn't have all the bells & whistles of some of their other
That's either the company line from the script they are told to read or they aren't paying attention, or both. Even newcomers to the world of firearms can recognize the difference between a P99 and a P22.

My biggest gripe with Walther at this point is that their customer service manager has not answered or returned my calls.
Not the first report we've heard of this ... a customer service manager in title only, apparently. Shameful. Today should be his last on the job.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have no idea of the percentage of folks with problem guns versus those with problem-free guns, but I would hazard to say that the majority of folks are happy with their PPX.
Since I ventured into the Walther World just over two years ago with my first PPX, I have only come across a handful of people that were not happy with it. I've also seen where a few people were not happy with the P99 or PPQ. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm happy with my PPXs and my P99s! :D

·
Premium Member
13,565 Posts
I've shot 600 rounds through it with the new barrel they furnished after the feed ramp issue I had. It's working fine so far.

!
That's GREAT......let's hope the problem is solved.....which would solve problem no. 2....no more emails to/from Walther. :D

Now go try to wear that puppy out.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
During my numerous conversations with Walther staff the one thing each of them stressed is that Walther does not have a "cheap" gun in their product line
Sorry to inform you, but Walther does have a couple of Cheap Pistols in their product line!

One is the P22 another may be the CCP, I bet if you thought real hard about it you could figure out the Third one on your own!

Granted, most people are not putting over 1-3K rounds down the pipe each month of one of the cheaper Walthers though!

That could be a big reason why they are pleased with their pistols! I would further bet those that are putting 3k rounds down the pipe quickly learn the lesson you are learning now & upgrade their pistol to match what they are trying to accomplish with it!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bravo,
If they put "Walther" logo on this gun, the consumer has every right to expect the long tradition of Walther quality standards. It is really unfortunate that certain products in Walther's line are causing such embarrassment.
If you purchase an entry level automobile, you don't expect the refinement of the high end model, but you don't expect it to fall apart either.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Glad it was worked out to your satisfaction. Next time, buy the PPQ. One has 7,000 rounds and still going strong. Only changed out the recoil spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Glad it was worked out to your satisfaction. Next time, buy the PPQ. One has 7,000 rounds and still going strong. Only changed out the recoil spring.
Here is something I learned during the research about my gun's problems. After they approve the prototypes, most manufacturers pull the first production samples of that pistol for testing. The typical requirement is that they endure 30,000-50,000 rounds through them without failure of components. The tests are done using "normal duty cycles" which means they aren't fired continuously. They have the chance to cool down after the equivalent of several magazines. During those tests the guns receive nothing more than the maintenance recommended in their owner's manual. 7,000 rounds through any halfway decent pistol shouldn't scratch the surface of its capabilities.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The PPX has only been out just over two years. Maybe we'll start seeing some reports 10K, 20K, or 50K rounds soon. It won't be, me since I'm too busy to shoot like I'd like to. Maybe one day.

Keep on shooting! :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well it kinda makes sense right?

PPQ = Performance. Protection. Quality.

PPX = Performance. Protection. X'ed out the Quality part. :D:D:D

So what are the current quality guns in Walther's stable right now? PPQ and P99?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
So what are the current quality guns in Walther's stable right now?
Maybe you should do a little research and report back your findings. I have four Walthers and they all work just fine. I can't speak for what I haven't experienced or looked into extensively.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well the CCP and PPX are the newest additions to Walther's lineup right? I'm a little shocked to hear that there are a lot of complaints about these new guns, given the "Walther" name and reputation. Would it be fair to assume Walther quality is going down the drain?

Don't get me wrong.. I love my PPQ and I plan on soon adding a P99AS to my collection. These are two high quality guns that showcase Walther's quality. I just don't get why not one, but TWO, of the latest additions are getting this much flak even by Walther fans.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
What we don't hear about is the number of folks that are happy with their PPX and don't bother to post anyhing online.
I disagree. I have been following this forum and other places since I got my first PPX in March of 2013. Mostly what I have heard and seen have been good reviews on the PPX and that people were happy with this gun. I have only seen a handful of complaints in over two years.

I have bought both a PPX 9mm and .40 and they have performed well. I now also have a P99 and a P99c and they have been excellent. My plan is to keep on shooting all these babies and loading them up with quality hollow points just in case. Maybe we will find out in say three to five years how well the PPX holds up. Until then, peace! :)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts