Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are hammers coming back? The hammerless Striker-Fired pistol seemed to be sweeping all others aside. Yes, the 1911 clones still had their advocates and the 1911 shape/function has crept down to 380 pocket guns. But other than that hammers seemed gone.

I'm not in tune with the fashions, has someone influential proclaimed hammers good?

(I bought my PPX because I liked the trigger and the price point. The hammer was not a plus or a minus to me.)

·
Registered
772 Posts
At least in theory, hammers are more reliable, since they don't resist the slide going forward like strikers do.

Ignition force is generally higher than strikers in recoil operated pistols.

And exposed hammers offer a means to prevent holstering ND by placing your thumb over it, which may have something to do with the PPX design for police.

There are arguably some internal safety aspects that make a hammer fired pistol less likely fire from an internal failure.

Hammers didn't really go away. Aside from all the HK, Sig, FN and Beretta models that have traditional hammers, all the Keltec/Ruger LCP style pistols use hammers in much the same way as the PPX and Creed, and have been very successful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts