Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using or thinking about using their PPX as a competition gun?
3 Gun? USPSA or IPDA?

I shot a USPSA practice match last week.
I used my 28 year-old Ruger P85, because I wanted to see how it would stack up against modern pistols.
It was flawless (as it has been for the last 28 years), but it clearly has weakness when compared to a modern pistol.
But it was fun to run the oldest gun in the building and see it get the job done.

Next time I'm either going to use the PPX or my M&P full size.
I just need a good PPX kydex holster.
I have a OWB leather, kydex, and suede holster, but it's too slow on the draw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought that, too

...you ain't...
So no one responded to ur question? I'm interested, because i was going to buy one of these as my first purchase in many years, and thinking eventual 3-gun with it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...you ain't...
You know how that sentence ends Chief...
(Thank You for your service!)

This post was from a year ago and since that time I've shot more matches than I can remember with the PPX.
I have a match scheduled for this weekend.

It's fast to shoot. A natural pointer and one of the smoothest triggers I've seen.
I feel unstoppable when I'm running this gun.

No real problems other than the magazine base likes to slide around when you drop them on the ground.
So if you're dropping the mags make sure the base is in the correct position before you insert it into the weapon.

Otherwise I think you'll be good to go!

Reactions: skulls

·
Registered
893 Posts
...you ain't...
So no one responded to ur question? I'm interested, because i was going to buy one of these as my first purchase in many years, and thinking eventual 3-gun with it.
You give up a pretty big chunk of capacity in 3-Gun though. Competitors with a 2011 have 23ish rounds compared to the 17 you will have. At the SW 3 Gun Nation match, there were a couple of stages that you would have wanted 18 rounds at least, any less and you are reloading, or eliminating pistol as an option and going shotgun. Glock, Springfield, S&W all have aftermarket support that better allows them to function as solid 3-Gun choices if you really want to run polymer.

If you have fun, and enjoy it, why not go for it? Even knowing the limitations, I looked pretty hard at the 5" PPQ for 3-Gun just because I liked the gun, even if it was not the ideal choice. I ended up going another direction, but I sure as heck can't fault someone for picking something they enjoy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nothing special. It gets the job done...

Reactions: Mattiooo

·
Registered
51 Posts
The question was, for a race gun.

Accuracy, well I gotta tell you, I have the 40S&W and it will stay within a couple inches out to 50 feet... with a couple outliers, and gonna explain why

It is the amount of slack it takes until the trigger breaks.

As good a shooter as it is, that trigger just is not meant for rapid fire.

At the 40cal I think it is more accurate than the 9. Just the nature of the weight, slide, feel etc etc.

Until there is an aftermarket option to get rid of that slack, I just don't see it being a consistent "race" gun.

Awesome awesome shooter, but not race gun.

Doc

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know I’m bumping an old post, but just wondering, I tend to do an inadvertent mad drop while rapid firing my PPX 40. Love this gun EXCEPT for that. Anyone else have this problem or hopefully a solution?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts