Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a Springfield Armory XDS .45 ACP to my collection and am sharing my thoughts as compared to my PPS .40:

Background: I have carried my .PPS constantly for several years now and bought the XDS to fulfill the same role. I use the largest backstrap on my PPS and the XDS.

Comparison:

Both of these shoot where I point, as if an extension of my hand, no sights necessary...but the bright fiber as the front sight of the XDS is far superior to the fading white dot of my PPS. Accuracy is excellent in both.

I am left handed and appreciate the ambidexterous controls of both, but the PPS mag release is much easier to operate, and I can use my left trigger finger to operate the slide lock of the PPS, I cannot do so on the XDS.

After putting different kinds of ammo through both...the XDS is not at all finicky about ammo, it will shoot anything all day long. I do not question if the first shot will fire in the PPS...that's why it's my primary carry weapon, but sometimes it gives trouble later in the magazine.

I don't have an issue with the kick of the PPS, I typically but 50-100 rounds through it in a sitting, and while it's not a comfy take to the range for fun gun...I have no complaints. On the XDS: Holy mother of...I'M HOLDING A HAND CANNON! The flip up of the recoil is so severe the bottom of the trigger guard slaps my trigger finger and actually hurts on every shot, with either magazine length. If there was no bottom to the trigger guard I would not complain, but the slapping hurts and forces you to concentrate that much more to keep your shots accurate.

If I could turn back time I would spend the extra $$ on a compact 1911 instead of the plastic XDS. I would not rescind my PPS purhcase.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've wondered about the comparison, especially in a .40 for the PPS.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is a very interesting comparison between the PPS and the XDS. I haven't heard anyone complain of the XDS recoil until this post. I would think it would have a pretty severe kick, but most are saying it's ok. Also interesting to see you would purchase a subcompact 1911 over the XDS if you had to do it over again.

I was on the fence a couple weeks ago. An XDS or a S&W Pro Series subcompact 1911 in 45. I like the looks of the XDS and it is half the price of the S&W 1911. But I stuck with my original idea and bought the S&W 1911. While I haven't shot it yet, it sounds like I made the right choice.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The XDs (and Glock 36) is a mighty small lightweight frame to absorb the recoil. Plus, there's not a lot to hang onto...

The heavier metal frame of a 1911 would handle it much better - I would also agree that a 1911 would be preferred (IMO) over another compact polymer gun. And to fully disclose, I'm not some 1911 fan boy. Never owned one actually,.. Just fired a handful that various friends have owned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like your review. I was in a local gun shop before Christmas and they had an XDS side by side with a PPS .40. Now I have carried my PPS .40 for over a year, and have put hundreds of rounds through it, So I am pretty familiar with it.

I thought for a few seconds that Walther had redesigned the PPS!!

I cannot believe from any of the recent reviews I have read of the XDS that there is no mention of the PPS. Talking like it is some brand new creation.

For anyone that has not seen them side by side, the XDS is a plain as day copy of the PPS with different grip design!!

Granted I am a Walther fan boy, but it kind of aggravates me that they xerox copied the PPS, chambered it in .45, and pass it off as something brand new.

Oh well, I live my PPS .40 so good for Springfield for copying the best.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Too bad they don't make a PPS in 45acp. That would be cool. Springfield definately realized and filled the gap in the market. Ed

·
Registered
269 Posts
Too bad they don't make a PPS in 45acp. That would be cool. Springfield definately realized and filled the gap in the market. Ed
The gap had already been filled for the better part of a decade with the Glock 36.

Personally, I wouldn't give the XDs a consideration with its 5+1 capacity. That's just too darn small.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gap had already been filled for the better part of a decade with the Glock 36.

Personally, I wouldn't give the XDs a consideration with its 5+1 capacity. That's just too darn small.
PPS .40 and XDS are the same capacity: 5 or 7+1...PPS also has a 6 round option.

·
Registered
269 Posts
No I get it. I'm just saying the XDs is nothing spectacular IMO.

If I wanted an ultra-compact 45, I'd be toting the Glock. If I wanted .40, I'd be toting the PPS. The XDs fills no niche for me...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've found I can conceal my sig p250 almost as easily as my Pps. So it has been my primary lately with 9+1 45acp. True that the glock 36 is probably a better option than the xds. ED

·
Registered
36 Posts
I came down to these two as well. I picked the PPS primarily because it fit my hand better. Have not shot the same XDs, but the Glock 36 recoil wasn't difficult at all. I shot a ragged hole with each of the three full mags I have fired with the 36. The 36 isn't as compact, that is why it it was cut from my list. If I was limiting to 45 in a small package, I would the 36 over the XDs, all day, every day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts