Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JMOFO"

I love my P99c/AS.... I simply cannot imagine a better cc pistol..

If any of you have experience with both the PPS and the P99c/As please share it with me.

I've changed my mind several times about whether or not I wanted a PPS, so input from someone with actual personal experience with both would be helpful..

Thanks!

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
256 Posts
I very much liked my P99C with the AS trigger, found it a very accurate and comfortable pistol to shoot. I had purchased it new a couple of years ago. Workmanship on the P99C was typical Walther, excellent. However, I have found the PPS to be a better pistol for me personally, in a few areas, and have given up the P99C, as well as my P2000SK and P239, in favor of pretty much exclusively using the PPS. First, I find it to shoot even more accurately than the P99C, and I do not know if it is a more accurate pistol or if I personally am able to shoot more accurately with it, my sense is that since I am able to acquire a more comfortable and consistent grip on the PPS, believe that may be the factor that yields better accuracy in my hands. I found the P99C grip just a tad to short and would make acquring a consitent grip a little bit of an issue. In contrast, the PPS seems ergonomically perfect for me.

Secondly, I can make follow up shots with the PPS noticeably quicker than with the P99C.

Third, and absolutely no question about it, the PPS is more comfortable to carry due to it being thinner than the P99C.

So, while I very much liked the P99C, and based upon the excellent workmanship and reliability have no problem recommending it to anyone that would like one, I personally just do not miss it at all. For me, the PPS is a better choice.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Hey, 8049: Just curious -- did you sell your P99c or just relegate it to the safe for the moment? That's a heck of a nice pistol to waggle on Gunsamerica or Gunbroker. And I'd wager that were you of a mind to sell it, a lot of folks on this forum would love to have a shot at it. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Already gone to a local gunshop; if you are looking for one or know someone that is, pm me and I will be glad to let you know what shop it went to. When it comes to purchases or selling an occassional firearm, I will only deal with a local retail store FFL.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know the feeling. However, I came to the realization a while back that once I decide something is going to sit in my safe and not be used, time to sell it in favor of something that will be used. A few years ago I really wanted a nice M1 Carbine, told myself that if I ever was able to find one in nice shape that would be the only (almost) non-shooter I keep, well I made an incredible find, purchased a Milsurp fresh arsenal refinished M1 Carbine, looks like it may never have been fired after leaving Springfield Armory. While I intend at some point to take it to the range and try it out, decided that will be my only 'collector' item.

·
Registered
87 Posts
0849's response about the difference between the two pistols is absolutely correct. PPS is a big step forward for Walther and will, in my opinion be the gold standard for single stack 9mm's. It points and shoots far better than a Glock 26 or a P99c.
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
To me they are two different designs....and not to be compared
for many that love their P99's series with the DA/SA mode the PPS will not be something special....
for people that don't like the DA/SA and think the "QA" sucks since it is soo much longer and heavier in pull than a Glock it will be the answer.
The PPS might not be a small as many were hoping for but that goes back to 1968......
I think Walther did the right thing and can move forward and secure a market share and get the Walther name better known out there if there isn't any problems with the PPS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I very much liked my P99C with the AS trigger, found it a very accurate and comfortable pistol to shoot. I had purchased it new a couple of years ago. Workmanship on the P99C was typical Walther, excellent. However, I have found the PPS to be a better pistol for me personally, in a few areas, and have given up the P99C, as well as my P2000SK and P239, in favor of pretty much exclusively using the PPS. First, I find it to shoot even more accurately than the P99C, and I do not know if it is a more accurate pistol or if I personally am able to shoot more accurately with it, my sense is that since I am able to acquire a more comfortable and consistent grip on the PPS, believe that may be the factor that yields better accuracy in my hands. I found the P99C grip just a tad to short and would make acquring a consitent grip a little bit of an issue. In contrast, the PPS seems ergonomically perfect for me.

Secondly, I can make follow up shots with the PPS noticeably quicker than with the P99C.

Third, and absolutely no question about it, the PPS is more comfortable to carry due to it being thinner than the P99C.

So, while I very much liked the P99C, and based upon the excellent workmanship and reliability have no problem recommending it to anyone that would like one, I personally just do not miss it at all. For me, the PPS is a better choice.

Thanks! My P99c/AS put my previous all time favorite Sig 239 back into the gun lockbox too.. I appreciate the input.

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
923 Posts
My difficulty with the PPS in light of already owning a P99C is that I really don't see myself getting very much and giving up a lot. What follows is the way that I see it.

When you do a size comparison the differences are negligible. With regards to height, the P99C is actually smaller by .26 inches, a factor that can be significant with concealed carry. There is the same difference with width with the PPS thinner by .26 inches, and when these two dimensions are considered I'd have to give the slight nod to the PPS. Of course how a gun feels is not always accurately reflected by looking at dimensions alone, but size isn't a huge factor here for me. The thinner PPS is fine, but the greater height takes away from that.

As to the trigger, some of us don't think that the QA sucks :) With that the case the PPS is less of a desirable change. While the first QA shot may be a bit long and heavy, subsequent shots seem less so, at least to me. Quite frankly I like a carry gun that has a bit longer and heavier pull. Owning a gun to acquire a lighter pull just doesn't do it for me when I'm already quite happy with the heavier pull.

The real downside to me is capacity. For what I see as marginal gains I'm giving up at least two rounds and no way to (currently) use extended mags. That alone keeps the P99C tops over the PPS.

On the other hand, I will probably acquire a PPS as I believe that a gun needs to be shot extensively to be truly judged, and this is a gun that I want to like and find a use for. Also, the collector in me would want it for nothing else but to own it as it is a Walther.

BTW, for my use they could have gotten rid of that rail.

Q

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Que On the other hand said:
Que:

Well, I think I'm probably right where you are in that I just don't feel any pistol will "beat" the qualities I've found in my Walther P99's... I know my Walther P99c/AS is my all time favorite for cc, and it's just hard to imagine something coming along better.

But, I like all things Walther (excluding the P22 & PPK's), so I'll probably buy a PPS anyway just to see for myself. I don't care for the looks of the Limited Edition's so I'll just wait for the standard ones to hit the market.

In fact I've changed my mind on this issue at least 3 or 4 times already, and probably will do so again a time or two before it's all over. I certainly don't "need" a new 9mm pistol, probably don't need the 6 I already have, but I like compact 9's and any new one always peaks my interest.

If the PPS were available in "AS" mode it would be a no-brainer I'd get one for sure, but I'll probably wind up with one sooner or later anyway just to lay in the drawer next to my P99/AS & P99c/AS.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
This is all-too familiar ground: going back and forth, loving the P99c AS and needing no other 9mm for carry, questioning the reliability of a new design, worrying about magazine capacity, etc. But then, today, I made it official and secured a First Edition that showed up unexpectedly at a small gun shop two and a half hours east. I was waiting for the all-black standard production version to come out, figuring that any kinks in the deisgn would be worked out by the time the new one arrived. What changed my mind? Well, imagine owning any Walther ever produced with no more than three digits in the serial number (the one I just bought is numbered under 250).

So now the only thing left to do is ... continue to wait for the all-black version to show up so that I can get one of those, too. It's true: You can never be too rich, nor too thin, nor have too many Walthers. :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Searcher, all things considering, I would have done exactly as you did and would not be experiencing one bit of buyer's remorse.

Truth is, I really enjoy all of this "anguishing" over whether or not to buy the PPS. In the grand scheme of things it's really a luxury to "worry" about such things. A death in the family this week has put all of that into perspective, and the moments spent thinking about the merits of the PPS and P99C are fun diversions that only add to the enjoyment of all of this. I know darn well that I'll get a PPS, and will probably end up regretting that I didn't go for a Limited Edition.

Congrats on the acquisition. I suspect that you'll look back on it and thank your lucky stars, especially someday when the rest of us are prepared to offer a left testicle to own one :)

Q

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Que: Well then, sometime down the road, be sure to offer your left testicle for my PPS. I guarantee that I won't want it - shudder at the thought, in fact :D -- but it's good to know the extremes that some folks might well go through to get their hands on one. Unless something happens dramatically in the marketplace, I won't live long enough to see the benefits of this as a collector's piece. But ...

I'm imagining 60 years from now or so, when my son's son takes a look great-grandpa's NIB PPS with a low serial number on it and says, "Wow -- what the heck is that?"

On the other hand, in 60 years, who knows what new laws, new challenges, and new possibilities await both the world and the Walther lover? Wish that we would all be so lucky to see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts