Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a walther PPS, CLICK HERE for the overall report as well as for the specifics of the failure which led me to sending the weapon back to walther for repairs (catastrophic failure after 20 rounds total through the weapon). i got the weapon back today.

the good news: the weapon appears to function. either the slide lock spring has been redesigned, or the gunsmith made a custom spring. the new spring is definately longer than the original, and it has a 90 degree bend to prevent the spring from coming out of the notch.

the trigger was initially a little rough, but a little lubrication on the bar smoothed it out.

the bad news: the weapon suffered two stove pipe failures in 120 rounds. the first was with a 125 grain corbon +P jhp and the second was with WWB. the weapon is still new and therefore failures are acceptable at this point, but its never happened with any other walther ive ever owned so i felt it was worth mentioning. on the corbon stove pipe there was no magazine in the weapon. on the WWB stove pipe there was a magazine with three rounds in it.

the worse news: my weapon and case were damaged.

here is a picture of my weapon the day i received it, as well as the day i boxed it up to ship it back to walther. notice the perfect finish.

this is my weapon upon opening the returned box. notice the scuff on the slide. i dont mind holster wear that tells a story, but this type of mark simply shows negligence and is unacceptable on a brand new weapon. it may be a minor scuff, but it is much worse than it appears in the picture and it was not on the weapon when walther got it back. i bought the first edition for two reasons...i was excited and did not want to wait, and i felt there was a certain collectors value to it. this negligence only detracts from the overall collectors value.

this is the case prior to shipping it back to walther. notice the perfect finish, in fact i commented on how beautiful it was in MY INITIAL REVIEW.

this is the case i got back from walther. in the lower corner the case is actually buckling from being crushed, and there are multiple scuffs which is evidence of neglect. i do not believe that UPS is reponsibile for any of this, as the cardboard box that it was shipped in is in perfect condition as if it had just been assembled.

by the time i got home and opened my package walther customer service had left for the day. ill be calling them first thing in the morning and hopefully they will make this right. i look forward to completing an impartial review of this seemingly fine design, but at this point my opinion is definately biased against it due to the failure and neglect. due to my inability to remain impartial i will wait to review the weapon further.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear that the spring looks like it's been improved. Real sorry to hear about the damage. I hope thye make good on that.

Keep us informed on the performace of the pistol. Thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I am really sorry and disappointed to see the rough handling your pistol recieved on it's trip back, glad to hear they were able to fix it -sort of.

I am suspicious of the change in the spring, did they make a custom part? Was the original defective in some way - or pre-broken? Did Walther provide you with any explanation?

You have taken alot of heat for running your new pistol with the "hot" ammo, and I understand your reasons for doing so. But I have to admit that when I read you were again shooting the Cor-Bon, President Reagan's "There you go again."" comment immediately spring to mind.

Why not go a little easy on this new baby. She's been a through a lot in her short life, try some 115 White Box stuff for a while, ease her into the Cor-Bons.

That damage though ...unacceptable!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am suspicious of the change in the spring, did they make a custom part? Was the original defective in some way - or pre-broken? Did Walther provide you with any explanation?
its hard to say. i can scan the letter that was returned with the weapon but there are two lines of explanation:

REPAIRED - slide lock
REPAIRED - slide lock spring

nothing else other than my address, weapon ser#, etc. is on the page.

when I read you were again shooting the Cor-Bon, President Reagan's "There you go again."" comment immediately spring to mind.

Why not go a little easy on this new baby. She's been a through a lot in her short life, try some 115 White Box stuff for a while, ease her into the Cor-Bons.
again, the weapon is designed around 9mm NATO. the weapon is designed to run these pressures from day one and there is absolutely no valid reason why its "bad" to use them from day one.

all that said, i just got off the phone with customer service. theyre shipping me a return label. the gentleman on the phone told me that he would simply ship me a new weapon. thats customer service! :)

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Hooray for that. My experience with the customer service folks is that they generally do the right thing, and often without being prompted. It was definitely the right call. Keep us all posted on your next round of break-in work, MB -- and good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interesting type of damages, the mark on the slide and then the damage to the case. Given the types of damage, even though cardboard box appeared ok, I would still maybe be a little more suspicious of shipper than Walther. My experiences has been that firearms companies just tend to be pretty careful in handling, Walther and S&W especially I think are a couple of the best with customer service.

UPS, while perhaps better than some other shippers, still can have their problems and on occassion be pretty rough. Not to be too paranoid, but have to also consider that there are plenty of people out there that do not like firearms and find them working for all kinds of companies. Do you think there was any possibility the cardboard box could have been opened and resealed somewhere during shipping ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very strange, over the years I have sent well over a dozen guns to S&W for either custom work or repairs. The only problem I have ever had was a slight and I mean slight mark on a screw.

Of course I don?t return a gun in their Performance Center Aluminum cases; I usually use a regular plastic blue case because they hold up to shipping much better.

Finally, the box they sent to you might have been perfect but what about the box you sent to them? Did you use a heavy shipping box and bubble wrap? A UPS driver in Miami threw a package from his truck and hit my door causing the package to burst open on my doorstep.

Here is the sad thing, if you sent a Berretta in for service it would be at least another 6 weeks before you got it back. If you sent something to Taurus it would be months and probably not even fixed when you got it back. Even though your case was probably damaged during shipping, S&W will most likely eat the cost and replace the case because they a very good company.

·
Registered
256 Posts
JayFrame, You make very good points. The damage may have even occurred on the way to S&W.

I have had only absolutely great experiences with S&W Customer Service; Walther could not have picked a better company to partner with here in the USA.

For anyone residing in the New England area or anyone that can make it though on a road trip, I highly recommend stopping off at their factory retail store and range in Springfield, it is the example for how customers should be treated, plenty of S&W pistols to try out on the range, plenty of interesting items in the store and firearm knowledgeable staff to talk to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
sounds like a nightmare. you have every right to be flamming mad even thought u dont seem to be. the pistol is unexceptable and so is the case. i hope they do u right, let us know. i will wait for the standard PPS and maybe they will get it right by then. good luck

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
all that said, i just got off the phone with customer service. theyre shipping me a return label. the gentleman on the phone told me that he would simply ship me a new weapon. thats customer service! :)
looks like some of you missed the last few lines on Montana's post

1 - 12 of 12 Posts