Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to non-destructively disassemble the PPS M2's factory RSA?

Not long after I acquired my first PPS M2 a few weeks ago, I ordered a stainless RSA from Lakeline LLC. When I installed the Lakeline unit in my PPS, I immediately noticed that the springs were weaker than the ones in the factory RSA, i.e., it took less effort to rack the slide. Shooting the PPS confirmed this, as recoil was harsher and spent brass was being ejected farther with the Lakeline RSA.

I contacted Lakeline to inquire if I could swap the unit with one that had stronger springs, and they said they don't make their PPS RSA with different springs. They did, however, offer to take the RSA back for a refund.

I was about the mail the unit back to them when it occurred to me that I could just install the springs from the factory RSA in the Lakeline unit. However, examination of the factory RSA reveals no obvious way to disassemble it in a non-destructive fashion. Does anyone here know if this can be done? I'd like to retain the ability to reassemble and reuse the factory RSA.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
dleong, can't help you of the disassembly of the PPS rsa. I'd recommend sending it back to Lakeline for a refund. Then, as chandler suggested, contact BT Guide Rods.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I agree thAt returning the Lakeline RSAA is best. I noticed that Galloway Precision sells a RSA with a choice of three spring tensions including the original spec. I think it cost just under $40. I have purchased some items from them I the past and they were high quality. I am just sticking with the OEM RSA in my PPS M2.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Actually, I would really like to keep the Lakeline RSA as it is extremely well machined and easily disassembles for cleaning using just an 8mm open end wrench and a 3mm hex key. Some options that come to mind:

A: Return the Lakeline RSA for a refund (less initial and return shipping).

B: Revert to the factory RSA and keep the Lakeline unit as a backup.

C: Use the Lakeline RSA as is. The slightly weaker springs used vis-à-vis the factory RSA probably won't prematurely batter the frame to death, especially since I'm mostly shooting light subsonic handloads. Factory RSA is left intact as a backup.

D: Eventually find a way to non-destructively disassemble the factory RSA and use its springs in the Lakeline unit. This is a best option which allows reassembly and reuse of the original RSA as a backup.

E: Destructively disassemble the factory RSA and transfer its springs to the Lakeline unit. Least desirable option, obviously.

There are other aftermarket RSAs for the PPS that are less expensive than the one from BT (for example, this one from Galloway is $30 and can be ordered in a variety of spring weights), but I'd have to find out if they disassemble as easily as the Lakeline unit for cleaning. For better or worse, I'm very OCD about keeping my firearms clean.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
but I'd have to find out if they disassemble as easily as the Lakeline unit for cleaning. For better or worse, I'm very OCD about keeping my firearms clean.
Instead of disassemble/assemble of the RS I suggest you use a good cleaning solvent and blow the residual off with compressed air.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
There is a reason that Walther selected a certain spring tension for the RSA. My guess is that their design engineers believed it to be the proper tension for the gun to accommodate a range of bullet weights, etc. I just do not see myself second guessing the Walther. My PPS M2 functions flawlessly with the factory RSA. The so-called advantages of a SS guide rod are not very convincing. The rod takes such little pressure that is highly unlikely to break. The extra weight of the SS rod is insignificant in reducing muzzle rise or recoil. So why not just leave it be, and either return it or keep i t as a back up if you fear a failure of the OEM RSA.

Added after above. I just read the Lakeline specs for the PPS M2 at the website. They state that they lengthened the rod over the factory spec to reduce the possibility of it dropping out of place. They do not state the specs of the spring they use so it might be factory spec or it might not. So it is not clear if the spring tension or the increased length of the RSA is causing the problems experienced. No way would I keep the RSA after reading that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Lakeline RSA uses the same strength and length springs as the factory. Letting them extend a few thousandths more so the recoil assembly doesn't drop out doesn't change a thing except make the pistol easier to put together. And, if I remember correctly, the factory part is crimped together, which is why they vary so much in length, and is also why they can't really be taken apart in a way that they can be used again. But, you can get them apart without damaging the springs. You can see in the OP's photos that the coil count is the same as is the wire diameter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts