Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
First I'd like to thank you for the help getting my Walther PPS serviced. They replaced the slide stop with the newer version, removed burrs and did a couple other things all for free. Just like you all said they would.

When I received my gun back from service there was grease on a few parts inside the gun. Here are pictures:
Walther grease 2 (temp. post) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Walther grease 1 (temp. post) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My question is, did they do that just to protect the parts from corrosion? If so, should I clean it out before I use it? It isn't a whole lot of grease but it seems to me it would just collect debris and gum up the works.

Any help is appreciated!
Tony

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here's the deal....you just learned a lesson about the difference between where the manufacturer "claims" a weapon should be lubed and where a gunsmith lubricates a weapon.

That area is the barrel toggle ramp and actually gets a lot of metal to metal contact when the slide cycles. Any small amount of resistance in several areas adds up to slow down the cycling of the weapon. A small amount of light gun grease should always be applied in that area along with a light application of oil on the barrel where it slides through the hole at the end of the slide assembly.

Other areas, light oil on the slide loading ramp (don’t confuse with the barrel feeding ramp), a small amount of grease on the disconnect tab and oil between the disconnector and trigger bar assembly.

See here also: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-pps/8904-walther-pps-observations.html

The PPS was never designed as a “battle weapon” and has tighter tolerances. Obviously, yours is over lubricated. Clean out the excess with a Q-tip and fire away.

Reactions: searcher451

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information! I am a novice as far as the inner workings of guns and that is very helpful. Up until now I only lubricated where it said to in the manual.

Two questions, one of the issues I was having was the slide not returning all the way. It would hang about 1/8 of an inch from being fully returned and I'd have to bump the rear of the slide with my palm to get it fully into battery. Does the grease help that? Secondly, in the link you provided it states that you should pick the backstrap you like best and not remove it. Why is that? Does removing and installing it cause malfunctions? The reason I ask is because when I go somewhere that I can't take my gun (like a friends house whose wife hates guns) I lock it in a safe in my car but also remove the backstrap and take it with me. I like knowing that if someone broke into my car and did somehow get into the safe they still can't fire the gun. It gives me a feeling of added safety.

Thanks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
A little extra lubrication will help but the gunsmith at S&W probably did what was required to get your PPS operating correctly.

You are using the backstrap Quick Safe as it was designed to be used. The problem is that many owners feel that the continued removal and installation of the strap may lead to wear and that could lead to a weapon failure. I prefer to keep it on the gun and disassemble by using the Glock method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.