Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd add my experiences with my new PPS. I really wasn't too exited about this pistol when I first heard about it. My primary carry weapons are a SW SW99 compact (9mm) for colder weather and a Kahr PM9 or SW MP 360 for warmer weather with less cover garments. That being said, I was at the local Range/Gun Pusher last week and there was a PPS First Edition just sitting there between a few other P99?s, I almost didn?t notice it. But I did and made the mistake of just asking to take a quick look.....30 minutes and $625.00 (Ouch!) later, I walked out the door with my new toy.

This being the ?First Edition? model, it came in a really nice metal case, with the additional back strap and 3 magazines (6 shot, 7 shot and 8 shot). I?ve been dry firing and fondling it over the past few days, and must say it really feels good in my hand. I found the trigger to be excellent (that being totally subjective of course), very smooth with no gritty feel for a new striker fired polymer pistol. After ? inch of spring tensioned slack was taken up, the actual let-off is very crisp and smooth with no perceived over travel. My trigger gauge only measures up to 4 pounds and wouldn?t release the striker, but it didn?t take much more force to release the trigger after that. I would guess-timate the pull at around 5-6 pounds, which I personally feel is about perfect for a carry weapon, not too light but light enough to be able to obtain good accuracy.

Take down is Glock-like with one cool twist. You can do it just like the Glock, remove the magazine, check the chamber, pull the trigger, pull back the slide a bit and pull down the slide release, and remove the slide. The twist is that if you remove the removable back strap, it also de-cocks the striker! You don?t have to ever touch the trigger to break it down, just pop the back strap off after you remove the magazine. The SW MP9/MP40?s also get around the trigger pulling thing with the de-cocking lever that you have to reach into the mag well to release, which I still like, but this is even slicker and much easier to use.

Along the same lines, I know a lot of folks don?t like built-in gun locks. Well the PPS does have one, sort of?.I think the way they designed this one is pretty clever. You just remove the removable back strap and the gun de-cocks and can not be re-set, the gun can not be fired until the back strap is re-installed. Walther calls it their ?Quicksafe? feature. It?s a locking function without a lock that can fail or that needs a key to use (or loose). The way the magazine base covers the bottom of the back strap and the release notch, it can?t be accidentally released and render your firearm in-op at the wrong time.

Well, I got to the range this morning to put a few rounds through it. I didn't have a whole lot of time so I only fired 250 rounds, 200 Winchester white box value pack rounds and 50 Winchester 115 gr JHPs. Right up front, I wasn?t shooting for accuracy at this time, I just wanted to check it out for reliability and handling so all firing was from 10-15 yard only. I ran the fist 100 value pack though it in quick order just to get comfortable with the mechanics of everything. Very impressed! For as thin as it is, recoil was minimal and it came right back on target quickly for easy follow-up shots. I did have 1 failure to eject at around the 50th round fired. I actually was trying to get it to fail by holding it loosely while shooting. I did this for a total of 21 rounds, a full cycle through all 3 magazines. It did fire 20 shots through this little un-scientific test so I was OK with this performance. I didn?t have any other failures for the remaining rounds fired. I blazed though the 50 JHP rounds without a problem. Not fully tested and trusted for carry yet, but a good start. While not shooting for accuracy, I can still say that this is little pistol seems to have great accuracy potential. I was getting 1-3 inch groups consistently through each magazine?s worth of rounds fired. I don?t have any impressive pictures of the targets as with each magazine change, I was adjusting my grip and finger placement on the trigger to find the best setup, so my overall groups for each target show an unfair more scattered grouping. Needless to say, the potential for some impressive accuracy for such a small pistol is definitely there. I think this is due to the excellent sights that this gun has. They are fixed with 3 white dots. The rear is drift adjustable with a rather large notch that made lining up the front sight quick and easy. The front sight is removable via a screw inside the slide. The package did not come with additional different front sights like the P99/SW99?s do, but I?ll assume they will be available from Walther at some future time. I did check, the sight from my SW99 are not the same and won?t fit on the PPS. Either way, for me the sights, as installed, were right on the money, put the center dot where I wanted the bullet to go, and it did!

Sorry for rambling on for so long, hope it is of interest to a few folks.

Ok, I took a few pictures (150 all together, rather a lot really) and here is the photo essay with a few of them?.Enjoy!

The whole package:

More pictures to follow....

Cheers....Obi-GUN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As promised?.

6 shot magazine:

7 shot magazine:

8 shot magazine:

The included factory fired test target:

More pictures to follow?.

Cheers....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More?.

This one has the larger back strap installed:

Broken down:

Cheers....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few more?.

Close-up details:

Cheers....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the report and pictures! How do you feeel like it compares to your kahr as a pocket gun? How long does the trigger reset feel to you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SoyBomb, while they are both the same width, the Kahr is a true pocket pistol, the PPS could also be pocket carried but is a little bigger. Here's a couple comparison pictures. In the limited firing with the PPS the biggest advantage I see with it over the PM9 is it conceals as easily as the PM9 thanks to the narrow width, but has a much better sight picture, longer sight radius, and a much better trigger. As much as I like the Kahr, I was never able to shoot it very well. I could always keep my shots inside the effect area of the target, but the grouping looked more like a shot gun blast, not a tight grouping. The sights are just too small and the trigger too long and heavy.

Here's some with my SW99 also:

As for the trigger reset, I measure it at 3/16 of an inch. It doesn't seem as short as my SW99 with the DA/SA trigger or a Glock, but it's still pretty good and very crisp.

Hope that was the info you were looking for!

Cheers....Obi-Gun

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great Pics...Thanks for sharing and making this hard to resist. :D
I'm trying to wait for the all black frame hopings its cheaper but the First Edition is gnawing at me. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great Pics...Thanks for sharing and making this hard to resist. :D
I'm trying to wait for the all black frame hoping its cheaper but the First Edition is gnawing at me. ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Obi, can you tell us where you bought this pistol? I'd drive up to NOVA from down in Richmond if I thought I could find one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the report and great pictures!

One question: Why is the top of the ejection port angled as it is, when front of the chamber doesn't seem to be, as in this picture?

Thanks again to you and everyone else with your reports!

·
Registered
118 Posts
That was a really great report thank you.

However it just makes me more comfortable with sticking with my Kahr P9

I have the Kahr and the magazines and the holsters. At this point it just seems to be better to stick with what I have.

If I was in the market looking for a a subcompact I would be comparing G26, Kahr P9 and PM9, PPK I would certainly add the PPS to the list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Obi, can you tell us where you bought this pistol? I'd drive up to NOVA from down in Richmond if I thought I could find one.
Guevera, I bought mine at Gilbert Small Arms Range in Lorton VA (703-550-8005). They just had the one when I bought mine and when I was last there they still didn't have any more. You may want to give them a call to see if they can get any more. I've only been shooting there a short time and while I really like the range and the people, their prices are a little high unless your a member, then you get a price discount.

Cheers....Obi-GUN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts