Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!
Just wondering if anyone got their PPS back after recall fix and was able to tell what was done.
Walther would not answer my questions as to what EXACTLY will they be doing, I wonder WHY they are so secretive about that....
Does not make me feel warm and cozy.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
They will not let you talk to the gunsmith, and with so many pistols coming in, I understand that. Just not enough time for that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello, all!
Just wondering if anyone got their PPS back after recall fix and was able to tell what was done.
Walther would not answer my questions as to what EXACTLY will they be doing, I wonder WHY they are so secretive about that....
Does not make me feel warm and cozy.....
Probably b/c they want to ensure it's done correctly, and that DOES give me a warm and cozy.

I don't want to come into possession of Bubba's PPS home-fixed special ...

·
Registered
196 Posts
it maybe just my eyes but has the trigger center safety release look as if
it might be a pinch wider . . . front to back ? (more travel to release)

Got mine back a couple hours ago... 6 days turn around including shipping :D

My trigger pull is poor, very bumpy. (it was "acceptable" before) I also noticed that IF you pull the trigger back slow and "centered" no side load,
STRAIGHT back till release, it isn't too bad. If you do give it the slightest side load, which would be normal as your finger is making an arch to pull, it is terrible !

Well i'm on the backup EDC so a disection is in order as this is not gonna fly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leadcounsel, SIG was open on their P320 recall fix. I see no reason why Walther should not be. I am not worried about Bubba's fix on MY gun.... :)

Scouts10, that does not sound good....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Leadcounsel, SIG was open on their P320 recall fix. I see no reason why Walther should not be. I am not worried about Bubba's fix on MY gun.... :)

Scouts10, that does not sound good....
SIG was open? By what definition?

A cop is injured from a dropped P320. SIG denies a problem.

Military realizes they fire when dropped and, facing a lost contract, SIG creates this crazy "fix" and gives it to the military without telling the public.

The "fix" is crazy as the weapon can still fire from inertia - the distance it must fall is simply more. No one knows how much more, but give it time and someone will find out.

Then, only after Omaha Outdoors puts out the video causing everyone else to try it and then everyone figures out there is a problem.

Then, and only then, does SIG tell the consumer the following: our gun is safe because it passed the military tests; but it will fail if dropped at this one angle, so if you want to, you can send it in for an upgrade. But, this is not a recall because there is nothing really wrong.

And then that fix. . . wow. Let's take so much weight out of the trigger group parts rather than simply putting in a trigger blade drop safety like everyone else has so that after the "fix" the parts begin "splintering" (read the military report) and now our dangerous gun that would be fine with a bladed trigger safety is filled with parts that have been hollowed out so much you can cook waffles on them. And all of those angles and corners are great places for stress fractures. So, now the parts will splinter, and the end user does not even know when it will happen.

Yeah. That's the very definition of "open."

By the way, did you all hear that Ron Cohen got arrested when he went to Germany because SIG Sauer allegedly violated German laws on selling guns to countries not on the approved list. His explanation? "We sold them to the US Government and they sold them to the non-approved country."

The old Ron Cohen two-step. Same dance, different song.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Shawn, wow! What a rant :)
What I meant was that SIG was open in saying what the fix to your gun would be and left it up to you to decide to do or or not...
Why should the SIG use the blade "like everybody else"???? Cause YOU like the idea?
As we say in the IT world "even if you create a most comprehensive editing routine in the world, there will be an ingenious idiot, who will break it..."
To be honest with you, I think that MANY guns would fail MANY tests if someone would make it their business to come up with some weird situations to test them in.
As far as this Walther recall - if they have a solution - they should make it a public knowledge. Their Reps are saying it straight out - Walther is not disclosing the fix, so that is corporate policy. And I don't like it! Regardless of what any other company does, did or will do in the future! You will probably be the first one to run to the lawyer if something goes wrong and your PPS will fire after the fix, if it falls out your hand as you are sleeping and lands on your slipper at 34.567 degrees when the room temp is 73.38 and NO ONE TOLD YOU ABOUT THAT BEFORE!!!!! You see, it's MY gun, I put my trust and my life and the lives of my family in Walther's hands, so I deserve to know what happened and how it is dealt with. And then I decide what to do next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If they are having to do the fix anyway, I don't see why they wont say what it is. Maybe they are afraid some folks will try to "rig it" themselves instead of sending it back if they knew what the problem was.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Eh, I don't really have a "urgent need to know" what the precise "fix" is. Given that it's a small batch of guns, with those before and after not impacted, my educated guess is a small defective part in a small isolated batch.

As for Sig being "open" about it, I seem to recall differently and agree with Shawn. Sig did minimal reporting and a lot of damage control.

As for creating a "weird situation" - um, no. Dropping a gun is not a "weird situation." Modern guns should go thru all manner of drop tests from extreme heights and "hammer on the back of the gun" to resist firing, before being released to the public. Hardly a weird situation.

Sig "dropped" the ball big time on the P320 and I still believe the military went with the wrong gun. Glock 19/17 was an "off the shelf" proven design for 4+ decades and the obvious choice. Ample aftermarket and armorers out there only reinforces that belief.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1. thanks to those who send in their PPS-M2 AND then report how it is different when returned. Need a few reports before considering sending a working PPS-M2 in and getting it back "improved."

2. Physics of Glock solution to trigger bar movement when subjected to force: If a trigger bar (as in P320) is at all able to travel other than when unlatched by an actual finger on the trigger, then a drop can fire the pistol. Probably SIG just did not want their trigger to look like that of a Glock.

Please, more before and after reports.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I don’t think it’s anything internal in the frame or the slide. I haven’t shot my PPS in awhile but carried it frequently. Subsequently, it’s packed with lint. It came back this afternoon still packed with lint. Only think I could see different was the dot on the grip. There was still a dust bunny in the barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got mine back yesterday, two week total turnaround including the Thanksgiving holiday.

Gun looked like it had been cleaned adequately, though not detail stripped (and I'm okay with that).

Trigger feels different but but not bad. Take up distance feels the same as before, there is a very (very) slight stack right before the trigger breaks. It's slight enough that I'm not convinced it wasn't there before, and I'm just noticing it now because I'm hypersensitive to it.

This next part may be completely in my head because I don't know what was done that could have caused this, but the final break feels slightly heavier than before (not badly so) but even more clean that before (and I was quite happy with it before). I actually think it's every bit as good as before, just slightly different and possibly just a little better even. Reset is unchanged.

Visually the trigger safety looks like it protrudes a slight bit more than before. Not badly though and not tactilely different.

Gun was returned FedEx signature-required delivery in a stout cardboard box (far sturdier that the FedEx box) with a warranty work receipt and two Walther stickers as swag (the only disappointing part for me!)

All of this is from dryfire. Will have it on the range this weekend as that will be the real measure of performance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
PPS arrived back today. Trigger is no different, and perfectly fine.

14 days from when it left my hands. I went from being annoyed to rather pleased with how it was handled. FedEx was the biggest culprit for my annoyance. Walther did great! Kudos.

Gun was returned with paperwork, dimple, and stickers.

The invoice reflects shipping of $35, service repair of $45. There was also shipping on the front end, not reflected. Cost Walther at least $79, maybe over $100, per gun to do this. Outstanding customer service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine came back yesterday. Visually I can not see anything different, but they must have changed something. Before, even with the burr on the barrell from the trigger bar (common to all of you, I would guess), the trigger was smoother. If feels heavier on the break now and not as smooth. Walther did not bother smoothing the burr I had.... Not nice! My gun was pristinely clean and lubed, so they did not need to do anything on that front. I had filed down the burr and polished it a bit and the trigger felt better.
You may think that it was in my head and it was the burr all the way, but NO! I took a good mental picture just before I send the PPS out. And it does feel different now. Not worse, not better, just different. Crisper if anything...

·
Registered
316 Posts
All they are doing is changing the little safety blade on the trigger. Simple swap. Pop that pin out replace the blade pop a new pin in. Don't even have to disassemble the gun.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
All they are doing is changing the little safety blade on the trigger. Simple swap. Pop that pin out replace the blade pop a new pin in. Don't even have to disassemble the gun.
Just curious.....have youattempted to "pop" the trigger safety out just by removing the pin?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts