Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen these 50$ mail in rebates floating around now for a while, and I have been looking at the PPS for about a year. I think I have finally decided to get one, but now that I am checking prices again, it seems to me that all the local gun shops have raised the price 50$ to about 679$. They all used to be about 629$. Does this correlate with the mail in rebate, does history show prices dropping back down at the conclusion of a rebate, or should I purchase one while I can?

Plus any thoughts on .40 vs 9mm? I plan on it being a CCW, but will most likely shoot it for fun down on the farm. I have a P99 in 9mm and love to shoot it but think I may like having the .40 as I do not own one, and yes, I know that means buying separate ammo, but that's not really a problem.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked up a 40 PPS last month for $599.00 before the rebate. I think the shop I purchased it from always had them at $599.00.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I always look at Buds to start price comparison shopping. I've ordered from them several times with no problems (disclaimer: I have no business or financial interest in Buds). They're advertising one at $578. and my FFL costs me $20. here locally. Walther PPS 40S&W Concealed and Carry $578.00 SHIPS FREE

I have one in .40. I like it and enjoy shooting it; others may complain it is too snappy.

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would take advantage of the rebate! Well actually I did...just the other day.

I too kind of used Buds as a start price for different firearms I was considering. When I ultimately decided on the PPS I went to my local gunshop; they had the PPS in stock and were selling it for $649. I referred to Buds price and while they weren't able to match it, they did knock off 20 bucks. The price on Buds represents a 3% cash discount. I didn't want to go through the hassle, and I wanted to support the local shop so I bought the PPS then and there. See if your gunshop will come down on the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link... but I actually already have the rebate form completely filled out except purchase date model sn etc. :)

I just talked to the gun dealer I have done alot of business with in the past, and he said that he would sell me the .40 PPS he has in stock for 600$ (+tax) which seems to be an amazing deal seeing as after FFL fees, I would be looking at about 600$ anyway. The amount of tax seems very worth it to me to have (semi)local available help if I run into any problems and and supporting his business.

Can't wait to head down there Friday! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now to find a good CCW holster... and wait for my license to get approval! One of the people I took the class with lives in the city and got his approval within two weeks, yet since I am in the county I am still waiting... grrrrrr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the link... but I actually already have the rebate form completely filled out except purchase date model sn etc. :)

I just talked to the gun dealer I have done alot of business with in the past, and he said that he would sell me the .40 PPS he has in stock for 600$ (+tax) which seems to be an amazing deal seeing as after FFL fees, I would be looking at about 600$ anyway. The amount of tax seems very worth it to me to have (semi)local available help if I run into any problems and and supporting his business.

Can't wait to head down there Friday! :D
Congrats on the purchase! You got a great deal. I'm with you; I would rather support a local business (where I'll be shooting) as opposed to buying from people I'll never meet...so long as said local business is willing to be competitive with their prices. Just one more day until I can pick mine up!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any rebate is valid only if purchasing from an authorized Walther dealer. Not sure if Buds qualifies, anyway. Also, lots of FFL transferrers will assess the local State tax so trying to avoid tax will often not work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any rebate is valid only if purchasing from an authorized Walther dealer. Not sure if Buds qualifies, anyway. Also, lots of FFL transferrers will assess the local State tax so trying to avoid tax will often not work.
I called Walther on this and it can be purchased from any licensed FFL to qualify for the rebate. I ordered my PPS .40 with night sights and 5,6,7 round mags for $666 shipped to my FFL and paid him $10 bucks for the transfer so I am sitting at $626 so I am pleased. I just got an email that my supertuck shipped today too

·
Registered
33 Posts
I called Walther on this and it can be purchased from any licensed FFL to qualify for the rebate. I ordered my PPS .40 with night sights and 5,6,7 round mags for $666 shipped to my FFL and paid him $10 bucks for the transfer so I am sitting at $626 so I am pleased. I just got an email that my supertuck shipped today too
That's awesome - I do a lot of rebates (not guns) and the redemption company's always trying to figure a way out of paying it (as they're paid to).

I was going to buy a new one for the rebate, a local dealer (not a Walther dealer) quoted me $595 for the base .40 package plus tax - actual Walther dealers were asking $629 (or $680 after tax) - was considering it (and a lot of other guns) then I found a PPS 9mm at the Pawn shop just the other day for $350 and jumped on it - it's a bit of savings for my first gun in awhile - easier to spend - leaves my options open if I want to get a second ;-). Came with the box, papers, factory test round, and was in adequate shape, but (A) series (and without the little leg on the slide lock). I like your deal, though! Sweet! I need a 6-mag.

My shells arrive tomorrow and it's off to the wood real soon now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well...Gander Mountain around here wants $749.00 for this gun. (Yeah, keep smoking that dope.) I bought it at Ft. Lauderdale gun show for $614 as I thought it was OK that the seller made a few bucks. Then $37 Tax, $10 Transfer and $5 Background Check. $670 less $50 for Rebate = $620.

A Lot less than local Gander Mountain which would play out to about $800.00, but still a fair bit more than some of you guys. I guess I'm "OK" with it but I will probably "squeez the system" a little harder on the next toy purchase.

BTW, how do your FFL's react when you bring these things through them for almost Zero-Profit pricing and just use them as a conduit? Don't they get a little pissed? Just curious as it seems like the smartest way to go if you are going for the best price possible...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats.

My FFL is a local pawn shop, and they don't really carry new inventory. It's worth the 25 dollar transfer fee for them, they're happy and I'm happy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
BTW, how do your FFL's react when you bring these things through them for almost Zero-Profit pricing and just use them as a conduit? Don't they get a little pissed? Just curious as it seems like the smartest way to go if you are going for the best price possible...
I was at a shop that sells guns for a $50 over factory markup, but sells mostly archery equipment, and asked about FFL transfers - their fee is $20.

The guy then said as an afterthought that I should be careful about on-line purchases because "most" guns available on-line for a low price are blemishes that were sold at a lower price to the online retailer.

The only logic in his argument I bought was that paying the $50, or buying from inventory, allows me to inspect the weapon, etc., before committing. Take Bud's gun shop or Jetguns for example, I would bet that most of the guns from these guys are factory new without any extra baggage associated.

Of course, the din my case would rather make $50 instead of $20. They quoted me $595 for a PPS (either caliber) - whereas Jetguns for $556 would have been $576 - not a big difference but that does suggest that the factory price is $545.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was at a shop that sells guns for a $50 over factory markup, but sells mostly archery equipment, and asked about FFL transfers - their fee is $20.

The guy then said as an afterthought that I should be careful about on-line purchases because "most" guns available on-line for a low price are blemishes that were sold at a lower price to the online retailer.

The only logic in his argument I bought was that paying the $50, or buying from inventory, allows me to inspect the weapon, etc., before committing. Take Bud's gun shop or Jetguns for example, I would bet that most of the guns from these guys are factory new without any extra baggage associated.

Of course, the din my case would rather make $50 instead of $20. They quoted me $595 for a PPS (either caliber) - whereas Jetguns for $556 would have been $576 - not a big difference but that does suggest that the factory price is $545.

At that price point I'd buy local every time, sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see a bunch of people got slightly better deals than I did, but I am happy with my purchase. Supported the guy that supports my habbits... :). Anyway, I did go ahead and purchase the .40 for 600 +8.5% (GAHH) tax -50$ rebate that I am going to send in tomorrow. So I am right at 600 for the gun.

It only came with one magazine though, that was disappointing, and it has a BA date code so it was made last year, must have been sitting around for a bit. Anyone know where I could get a flush baseplate for cheap? I'd like more concealability as I am a slender build.

Also looking for holsters. Pretty much set on a Supertuck unless other options are thrown around here.

I noticed at initial stripping (pre-shooting) that the underside of the slide has a odd brasstype coloring on the flat protrusion, not sure of the technical name. I have read around here that people polish that up (I believe that is what they are talking about). What does that help with/why should I do it/ how do I go about doing such?... Should I be doing that if I am not having problems?

Needless to say, I only fired around 50 rounds this weekend but did not have any FTE/F's. It was a bit snappy with the 180gr. FMJs I bought but that made it kinda fun IMO.

Finally... yea I know, tons of questions (sorry) wondering what type of ammo for the .40 is typically considered "best" for close distance personal protection. I found a site called doubletap and he offered anywhere from 135gr. to 200gr. .40S&W. The site owner was VERY quick to respond and suggested the 150gr. Nosler JHP. I've done a ton of looking and found all sorts of ammo. Some options I am considering are cor-bons, ranger sxt's (t-types if i can find them), double tap, hydrashoks, or winchester silvertips. Any other suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and as always I am willing to answer any questions and looking for any suggestions! Thanks a ton

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I see a bunch of people got slightly better deals than I did, but I am happy with my purchase. Supported the guy that supports my habbits... :)
There's much to be said for shopping local, even if you have to pay a bit more from time to time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts