Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very accurate out to 20-25'. Didn't see much point in going out any further, but I'm sure if I can aim the PPS on target, it will hit it.

Low recoil, even with +P ammo. Double-taps were surprisingly closely bunched, even out to 20'.

Went through 300 rounds of WWB, one FTE early on. None later.

The slide failed to lock back a few times. One of the shop guys said a stretch of the mag spring may remedy the issue. We stretched them out just a bit and I only had one more empty mag fail to lock the slide back. Cured? We'll see...

I'm not crazy about the location of the trigger safety. It was rough on the finger pad after 200 rds. Maybe I'm not supposed to shoot so many in a row!

FWIW, the performance was quite good with WWB and 124gr +P ammo. I can't wait to get to an outdoor range and try some steels!

hth!

·
Registered
256 Posts
<P>The accuracy, low felt recoil and ability to do quick second / follow up shots is very much consistent with my experiences with my PPS. The excellent accuracy really pleasantly surprised me.  </P>

·
Registered
525 Posts
Stretching a magazine spring sounds like a really bad idea, that can't possibly be good for it. Is it possible you have a high thumbs forward grip thats touching the slide release? I've found thats usually the cause of failure to lock back. Thanks for the good report.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible you have a high thumbs forward grip thats touching the slide release? I've found thats usually the cause of failure to lock back. Thanks for the good report.
Yes. After a few 100 rds I noticed my thumb getting dinged up from riding on the slide release during recoil. I had to think to make sure I moved it lower.

That has to be it, thank you!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Slide lock-back problem most likely had to do with your thumb.
Try thumb down position instead of thumb up. I see the problem frequently.

PPS is not perfect, but considering its size and weight it is a well engineered little pistol. I believe that it will become the gold standard for single stack 9mm pistols. Walther still does beautiful work.
I like the Kahr PM9 too but I much prefer the PPS trigger and find my split times and accuracy when shooting very fast are better with the PPS. They approach the Sig P239.
I prefer +p stuff in lighter weight to enhance expansion from short barrel. The +p also keeps slide velocity up which minimizes FTF because of poor grip
My .02
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, jhiller, fancy seeing you over here. :)

You said your PPS wasn't perfect. That could mean so many different things. What are you referring to? Dependability, accuracy?

Thanks.

ought6

·
Registered
87 Posts
The perfect pistol would be the same size as a Seecamp 32, have the power of a 375 H&H ,the recoil of a 22, be as reliable as a sledge hammer and cost a nickel.

The PPS isn't there yet !
It was designed for a purpose. It is an easily concealed single stack 9mm. It is not a target pistol. It certainly would not be my first choice as a primary duty or daily carry primary weapon although I do think 9mm is just fine. Some of the most high speed low drag outfits in the world use 9mm's and are very happy with the results.

All short slide lightweight pistols are more likely to incur stoppages than long slide steel pistols. That is a function of momentum and slide energy. That makes a PPS a compromise. That's what I meant.

So far as bullet weights, I would stay away from 147gr in anything smaller than a Glock 19. Mouse guns like the PPS just don't generate the velocity required to take full advantage of that round. Remember that historically the 147gr 9mm was designed to mimic the effectiveness of the 158 gr 38cal out of a 4" barrel. We can do better than that now with the lighter weight projectile ammo which approaches 1200 fps. That seems to be a velocity where the chance of bringing hostile intent to a rapid conclusion becomes a probability not just a chance.
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts