Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting aspect of the PPS is that it has three different capacities, varying externally to the pistol. 6, 7, and 8 rounds. The First Edition comes with all three.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more mag stuff

There is a metal part at the bottom of the spring that extends with the spring into the base. When taking the mags apart, press up through the hole in the bottom of the mag, grab the metal base insert and pull upwards. Then slide the plastic base off.

Correction: There are 7 witness holes on all capacity magazines. The top round does not show through a hole.

There are two thinks I don't like about these magazines. One is the extra witness holes on the 6 and 7 round mags. I plan to mark the bottom witness hole with a paint marker. Quick determination whether it is a full mag is the goal instead of remembering or counting how many holes should be used or empty for a given capacity mag.

The other beef I have is the tail that sticks out on the back of the mags. Its only purpose seems to be to lock in the release tab on the removable quick safe backstrap. IMO, if that wasn’t there, the 6 round mag would be really nice in a pants pocket. I may buy another magazine to cut that off.

Something I really like about these magazines is that they easily insert into the pistol when full and the slide is forward. Not slamming them in to get 'em to stick.

Enjoy!

Don

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The other beef I have is the tail that sticks out on the back of the mags. Its only purpose seems to be to lock in the release tab on the removable quick safe backstrap. IMO, if that wasn?t there, the 6 round mag would be really nice in a pants pocket. I may buy another magazine to cut that off.
I would say that the rear tab is an extra safety measure to make sure that that backstrap does not come off while firing the weapon. If it did then you would be in a world of hurt if the SHTF...so does the PPS have the capability to fire without a mag in the gun and just a round in the chamber?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The mags appear to be made by Mec-Gar, yes?
That's exactly what I was thinking. The whole "Made in Italy" thing... and you know the best company in Italy for magazines is MecGar... right??!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Jake Starr,

To answer your question, my new PPS will fire without a magazine inserted. However, according to Page 12 of the PPS Safety and Instruction Manual that came with my pistol - Walther does offer a magazine disconnect feature on some PPS pistols.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say that the rear tab is an extra safety measure to make sure that that backstrap does not come off while firing the weapon.

I thought that went without saying. It's good to spell out the risk before mentioning modification to design details of a firearm.

Then again, if one strickly adheres to always having the backstrap release tab covered by the magazine tail, then you wouldn't allow yourself to change mags during a fight. That doesn't make sense either.

The two barbs are what really bother me. When mag prices fall I might trim one back to just past the barbs. There would still be enough tail to cover the backstrap release tab. This would be for a backup mag in kept in the pocket. I'm just thinking out loud. Perhaps it is a stupid idea.:D

Don

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Jake Starr,

To answer your question, my new PPS will fire without a magazine inserted. However, according to Page 12 of the PPS Safety and Instruction Manual that came with my pistol - Walther does offer a magazine disconnect feature on some PPS pistols.
that is 100% correct...
the "first edition" should be without the magazine disconnect according to Walther

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
This would be for a backup mag in kept in the pocket. I'm just thinking out loud. Perhaps it is a stupid idea
Not really. Someone has to be a pioneer and try things that are "outside of the box." If you do try it, please let us know.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
catch notch

I was looking at the mags some more today. The notch for the mag catch is unique compared to other pistols I'm familiar with. It is wedge shaped (vs rectangular shaped, as viewed from the side).

It appears that this allows the mag catch to be more supported and to rotate into position. Perhaps with the grip so thin, the stronger part of the catch needed to be moved towards the center of the grip and needed the extra room in the magazine's notch.

Just sharing a unique detail I noticed...

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts