Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had an opportunity to get my mitts on a P365, finally. I took it and my PPS to the range for a side by side and thought I'd record my notes here for anyone who's interested.

The ergonomics of the grip of both guns are on par with one another so I'm going to rate them a toss up. For my hands however, I'm favoring the PPS as it's wider from the front strap to back which allows me a better purchase on my gun. I don't have overly large hands, more like medium size fleshy bear paws (thanks dad) and the P365 felt like I was holding on to a somewhat smaller gun.

I shot at 21 feet and my pattern was noticeably tighter with the PPS. I'm not going to knock the P365 for that since I credit mainly the way I have better purchase on the PPS. Also, I added some after-market Meprolight TruDots to the PPS. Specifically, the P365 sights have one large dot for the front sight and smaller points for the rear. Again, for me, the PPS sight picture is just better with 3 dots of equal size. The pattern being somewhat more spread out for the P365, they were still in the kill zone so I'm going to again call it par between both guns.

The biggest draw for the P365 is the 10 round capacity. Both magazines for the P365 hold 10 rounds. One magazine is slightly extended at the base for a pinky rest. But even the slightly extended magazine is still not that long so the P365 will conceal as well as the PPS. If you're concerned with having more rounds to deploy, the P365 has the clear advantage here.

Probably the biggest problem for me operating the P365, and a distinct clear advantage in favor of the PPS, is the mag release button. I can't quite yet determine why but during magazine changes my thumb cannot connect with the P365 button in a way that cleanly releases the magazine. What physically happens is that my thumb lands on the edge of the button. With the PPS, it's as though the mag release was specifically placed right where I need it to be. Maybe it's me. Maybe I need to run the P365 a few more times. But if'n this keeps up, it would be a dis-qualifier for a carry gun (for me, that is). After wrestling with it, I pick up the PPS and darned if the mag swap is clean and quick.

Both guns ran without mechanical failure of any kind. Loading was easier with the PPS mags probably because they don't have quite as stiff a spring but using a speed loader resolves that problem. Also, both guns were more accurate with 124 gr bullets vs the 115 gr as expected.

If I needed to, I would carry either one assuming I can nail down the mag release issue with the P365. However, my clear preference still is my PPS. It just feels right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Nice report. All I had to do was finally handle a P365 in a gun store and I handed it right back to the associate. It feels terrible in my hands which are medium and that’s enough to just say No!

Reactions: Chief1297

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Nice report. All I had to do was finally handle a P365 in a gun store and I handed it right back to the associate. It feels terrible in my hands which are medium and that’s enough to just say No!
I felt that way about my PPS Classic when I first held it. Bought it anyway, no regrets. It’s was a great gun, although I think the PPS M2 is an improvement in almost every way.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I felt that way about my PPS Classic when I first held it. Bought it anyway, no regrets. It’s was a great gun, although I think the PPS M2 is an improvement in almost every way.
Me too! That's why I never bought a PPS until the M2 version came out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot one more thing. For the PPS costing about half as much as the P365, you’d expect the P365 trigger to be short reset and superior to the PPS. There was a lot of travel to reset, more than I would have expected. Again, I’m a fan of SIG and don’t mean this to be a rag session on the P365. One of my favorite go-to guns is a SIG P225A1. I compete with local buddies using a P226 SAO Legion and my bedside gun of choice is a P220. I was just a little disappointed in the P365 trigger. The PPS has less travel and a more distinctive audible reset.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently bought a PPS M2 to replace a SIG P225 (P6). I also considered the P365. It is a really nice gun with great features. The PPS won out due to price and ergonomics. I can't explain it but the PPS just has a a better feel in my hand. The grip texture on the 365 is better but the overall feel it is like a box. Also, I like how the cocking indicator works on the PPS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also tried out a P365 as I was intrigued by the increase in capacity. But the mag release was a deal breaker, it was impossible for me to be able to eject a magazine without seriously changing my grip. The mag release button is very awkwardly placed and too small.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ditto to all of the above. I figured 4 extra rounds in a gun I can't shoot nearly as well was not an upgrade. It's like anything -- some hands find it a perfect fit and others don't.

Would be awesome to see more subcompacts with higher capacity though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great review. I was torn between these two to replace my Hi Power that is simply too much gun for IWB at my age.

I'll be going to my local gun shop for a hands-on look see.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I used to own a PPS M2. I currently own a P365. For me:
-- In a close quarters gun battle I would want the P365 given its easy to find front sight and its 10 round mag (and the option for a 12 round spare mag.) I also like the way it points.
-- For more precise shooting, the PPS M2 is a better pistol given its outstanding ergonomics and very good trigger. The PPS M2 does have 6/7/8 rounds mags.
Bottom line for me: Both pistols are good, but factoring in cost, the PPS M2 was a better buy for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you seen any mag releases unintentionally with the PPS? I am having a huge issue with it when holstering in a soft holster in the appendix position.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you seen any mag releases unintentionally with the PPS? I am having a huge issue with it when holstering in a soft holster in the appendix position.
Did you mean to ask about the PPS only, or including the M2? I have the M2 and have never had unintentional mag releases. If you have an older first model (paddle release) you may want to have Walther look at the catch as it may be worn. One of my PPKS’s used to drop its mags after several fired rounds. Sent it back to Walther and they fixed me right up. If you’re talking an M2, definitely send it in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I forgot one more thing. For the PPS costing about half as much as the P365, you’d expect the P365 trigger to be short reset and superior to the PPS. There was a lot of travel to reset, more than I would have expected. Again, I’m a fan of SIG and don’t mean this to be a rag session on the P365. One of my favorite go-to guns is a SIG P225A1. I compete with local buddies using a P226 SAO Legion and my bedside gun of choice is a P220. I was just a little disappointed in the P365 trigger. The PPS has less travel and a more distinctive audible reset.

interesting. i'm just the opposite, and a minority voice on this, i guess. i'm a Walther guy. love my PPQ. i own a PPS M2, but i don't shoot it well. i have some old hand injuries, and this gun tends to beat on them. it gets uncomfortable pretty fast. i just bought a P365 and absolutely love it. it's my first Sig. i think the trigger is quite good. smaller than the PPS, more rounds, and doesn't hurt my hand. to each his own...

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Maybe your bellybutton stud is pressing on the mag release button. :D

You may have to consider another holster.....kydex maybe.....something that protect the button.

·
Registered
208 Posts

interesting. i'm just the opposite, and a minority voice on this, i guess. i'm a Walther guy. love my PPQ. i own a PPS M2, but i don't shoot it well. i have some old hand injuries, and this gun tends to beat on them. it gets uncomfortable pretty fast. i just bought a P365 and absolutely love it. it's my first Sig. i think the trigger is quite good. smaller than the PPS, more rounds, and doesn't hurt my hand. to each his own...
Smoke- try a rubber grip sleeve on your PPS m2. When I brought mine I thought it felt great.. but shooting it I found it uncomfortable. The thin relativity pointy backstrap would bother my hand. So much that I considered getting rid of it. For less then $10 I picked up a pachmayr sleeve at basspro and haven’t looked back. 200+ round range trips are a joy and I can shoot the PPS as good as my PPQ. It doesn’t add much to the size and isn’t permanent. If you look in the pic you can barely tell it’s there F755A10C-BB51-4942-AE07-10E19B9ADE9F_1549361242668.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Which soft holster are you using? I haven't had that happen before, although I've quit using soft holsters entirely. Convenient but not as good as I'd like. I had Remora.

If you're pretty much an all-AIWB guy, I'd strongly suggest spending the dough for a dedicated AIWB kydex holster. Check out JM Custom Kydex. They conceal better, are more comfortable, and are worth every penny vs. all-purpose holsters (or especially soft holsters)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Smoke- try a rubber grip sleeve on your PPS m2. When I brought mine I thought it felt great.. but shooting it I found it uncomfortable. The thin relativity pointy backstrap would bother my hand. So much that I considered getting rid of it. For less then $10 I picked up a pachmayr sleeve at basspro and haven’t looked back. 200+ round range trips are a joy and I can shoot the PPS as good as my PPQ. It doesn’t add much to the size and isn’t permanent. If you look in the pic you can barely tell it’s there View attachment 81342

why? even if i shot the two guns the same (and i don't; i shoot the p365 better), the sig is still smaller and carries more rounds

·
Registered
208 Posts
Because you already have it..... I didn’t say go buy one to do it. You said you have one and don’t enjoy shooting it. I was making a suggestion to help you better enjoy what you have.

Besides the pps is a better shooting firearm then the p365

1 - 20 of 26 Posts