Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Happened to pull the striker assembly out of my PPS M2 just because I had never done it before and wanted to learn more about how the gun operates and noticed a crack in what I believe is called the striker guide. The small plastic shroud that encompasses the rear of the striker.

I dry fired this gun a lot when I first got it because it was the gun that I learned shooting technique with, but I rarely used dummy rounds when doing so and I believe that may have led to this issue, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I want to replace the guide, or even the whole assembly, but I don't want to send the gun in as it is my carry gun, so I will try to order the part. Out of curiosity, what would happen if the end were to break off? Am I right in thinking that dry firing is the likely culprit? If the striker were to land on a live round every time, would it even make contact with the end of the guide?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Email Walther's customer support the image in your post. I'm fairly certain they'll send you a replacement striker guide under their lifetime warranty. There's no need to send them the entire gun as the striker assembly is extremely easy to take apart.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine was cracked also. I contacted Walther customer service and they sent me a new guide free of charge. It looks a little beefier than the original one. I don't think dry firing is necessarily the culprit. I think the crack on mine was caused by letting the striker slip out when I was trying to put it back in the channel after cleaning it. That has happened to me at least a couple times, so I imagine that might have been the culprit, but I cannot say for sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will contact Walther and see if they will send one to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How do you remove the striker assembly. I searched youtube without any success. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
How do you remove the striker assembly. I searched youtube without any success. Thanks
To remove the striker assembly: use something (I often use a mechanical pencil or sometimes the end of a paperclip) to press in the little black square at the top right-hand corner of the back-plate and then slide the back-plate down and then gently release the pressure on the little black square that you were pressing in. You have to be careful with this part lest it just fly out. Then pull out the striker assembly. To put it back together: put the striker assembly back in, press the little black square in, slide the back-plate up and release the little black square. I hope that helped. I don't have any pictures on me at the moment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Indiana and chandler for your help and advice.

Reactions: IndianaOrdo

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 93179

Happened to pull the striker assembly out of my PPS M2 just because I had never done it before and wanted to learn more about how the gun operates and noticed a crack in what I believe is called the striker guide. The small plastic shroud that encompasses the rear of the striker.

I dry fired this gun a lot when I first got it because it was the gun that I learned shooting technique with, but I rarely used dummy rounds when doing so and I believe that may have led to this issue, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I want to replace the guide, or even the whole assembly, but I don't want to send the gun in as it is my carry gun, so I will try to order the part. Out of curiosity, what would happen if the end were to break off? Am I right in thinking that dry firing is the likely culprit? If the striker were to land on a live round every time, would it even make contact with the end of the guide?
View attachment 93179

I just pulled mine out after watching the striker removal video for the first time, and cleaned everything, then when I was satisfied everything was clean “and dried”, I went to reinstall it and noticed mine was not only cracked, it was broken. I’m calling Walther customer service tomorrow and inform them of this. The PPS M2 schematics can be found here: http://www.carlwalther.com/views/PPS_M2_281_21_26_c.pdf

·
Registered
98 Posts
The M2 could be different than my experience with the M1. I dry fired my PPS-9 M1 hundreds of times many years ago, which was believed at the time to smooth out the trigger. It did help a little. A few years later, after thousands of rounds, I found the strikerguide broken in two. No malfunctions, but I suppose the part was broken almost from the beginning because of dry firing. I replaced it. Like I said, no malfunctions, but YRMV. The replacement strikerguides are tight on the striker shaft, so polishing and a drop of oil should return your trigger pull to standard weight.

Back to the rough trigger, again the M2 could be different but my M1 striker spring buckles as it compresses. As it buckles it rubs on the striker and/or the chamber. I think this is felt as rough friction at the trigger, and polishing the striker shaft, spring, and chamber actually helps a little. I replaced it with a Glock spring which does not buckle, and my trigger is smooth as butter.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have an original PPS that hasn’t been shot in a few years. The grip is designed so that it puts a nice rap on my thumb joint every time it fires. Because of this I don’t shoot it - and haven’t had it out.

So it was just happenstance that I read this thread. Since my PPS has less than a couple of boxes through it, thought it would be OK. But figured I should check anyway, never know when I might get the urge to try it again.

To my surprise, the spring guide was cracked! So thanks to Bandit1 for starting this thread. Looks like I’ll be on the phone with Walther.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
UPDATE

Just got off the phone with Walther. “That’s not a crack” the service rep proclaimed. That’s designed into the part. So while he was on the line I took out the striker and examined it in full light. “Sure looks like a crack to me”, I replied. The guide had a jagged line which didn’t look anything like a molded edge. I advised that I really didn’t want to take a chance on his 3,000 mile / over the phone diagnosis.

In a disgusted tone the rep advises that it doesn’t matter to him and took my information and is hopefully sending a new part.

Didn’t appreciate the attitude, or a broken part on such a lightly used pistol. Once the part is in this PPS will likely be living in the safe for a long while.

·
Registered
104 Posts
UPDATE

Just got off the phone with Walther. “That’s not a crack” the service rep proclaimed. That’s designed into the part. So while he was on the line I took out the striker and examined it in full light. “Sure looks like a crack to me”, I replied. The guide had a jagged line which didn’t look anything like a molded edge. I advised that I really didn’t want to take a chance on his 3,000 mile / over the phone diagnosis.

In a disgusted tone the rep advises that it doesn’t matter to him and took my information and is hopefully sending a new part.

Didn’t appreciate the attitude, or a broken part on such a lightly used pistol. Once the part is in this PPS will likely be living in the safe for a long while.
Wow, what a horrible attitude from the Walther customer service guy. Walther sent me a new one for my PPS M2 which had very few rounds through it. I should check and see how the new one is holding up.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I think this is something any PPS owner should check. I can’t see the gun functioning well if that piece separated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So far the new striker guide in my pps has been holding up. No cracks yet! I will have to check it regularly to see how it does over time.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
UPDATE:

Got a package from Walther mid week.

Inside was a brand new recoil spring.

Not sure it’s worth a second call…

1 - 20 of 21 Posts