Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the peening issue (trigger bar impacting right side of barrel). Is it still an issue? I got the impression that although Walther has said (to owners) that it's not a safety or functioning issue, recent models of the PPS M2 are not displaying the problem. Am I in error about that? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Only a couple of issues I’ve ever heard of since it came out. I’ve had one for 2.5 years with no peening or problems. It’s a great little gun.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My M2 has 332 rounds through it and have evidence of peen strike though it's pretty minimal. I've been reading a lot about it since it was posted by Gordo Feb 2017:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/70650-pps-m2-barrel-peened-near-feed-ramp.html
Long but interesting read. Looks to be hit and miss (no pun intended). Some are greatly concerned and rightly so if it really looks like its tearing up the barrel. For mine, I took this photo as of this a.m. and though you can see the extremely small strike, at this time it's nothing that concerns me, at least for the moment.

I notice in the Walther PPS owners manual, it states to put a drop of lube on the trigger bar up near the striker safety. I've never read to do this for other pistols and I'm wondering if it might be addressing this issue. I'll continue to shoot mine and will take another photo at 600 and then 1000 rounds just to compare.

Other than what I've discovered to be the usual break-in stuff that these guns go through, so far I'm happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just picked my LE model up yesterday. For 319.00 could not pass it up. Not one mark after 150 rds.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Photo log - 600 rds

Here’s 600 rounds. I’m seeing just a tad bigger. Again, using the tip of a computer stylus for size comparison. Next photo at 1000 rounds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
This seems to be fairly common, what I don’t understand is how that little piece of stamped metal, the trigger bar, can gouge something as hard as the barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
750 rounds

Decided to get another photo at 750 rounds as the peening is bigger but really small overall. The tip of the stylus is used as a constant in all photos. 2mm maybe? The peening is taking a more defined shape. I’m really not expecting more than this but I’ll snap more at 900 - 1000.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone filed the tip of the trigger bar down, that you know of. Maybe enough to relieve peening but not so much to cause malfunction?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
The same way a soft lead slug (maybe copper plated) can pierce a steel plate. Hit it very fast.
Yes, I believe you are correct. And the way the two parts interact could also be a factor. As that barrel moves back to engage the locking block, it’s isn’t hard to see how that peening takes place. And since I posted that question, I have put a few hundred more rounds through my PPS, and that little ding in the barrel as seen in pictures in this thread is indeed there. There is simply no other answer to the problem. And, like others, I’m not overly concerned at this time. I did clean it up and then cold blued the spot. I’m going to go to the Range again on Saturday and will see if continued peening has occurred. I am just about convinced that it’s as dinged up as it’s going to get and am chalking it up to breaking it in, at least for now. Appreciate your response.

·
Registered
373 Posts
900 rounds - noting the original peening appears to slightly spread upwards toward receiver but not significantly. Also noting bare steel appearing on lower edge. I’ll continue to track with photos here until peening stabilizes.

Computer stylus tip is about 2mm and since photos are magnified, using it to reference relative size.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
1000 rounds. The peening appears to have been stabilized so I'm going to stop here. Let me know if anyone needs or wants any additional photos on any other part of the gun but at least this is a documented photo history from beginning to present.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
1000 rounds. The peening appears to have been stabilized so I'm going to stop here. Let me know if anyone needs or wants any additional photos on any other part of the gun but at least this is a documented photo history from beginning to present.
Thanks for the update and photos! Are you pretty confident it's stopped? I know some people in this thread said it just continued to get bigger and never stopped. Here's to hoping you're good from here on out...

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Yes, I believe you are correct. And the way the two parts interact could also be a factor. As that barrel moves back to engage the locking block, it’s isn’t hard to see how that peening takes place. And since I posted that question, I have put a few hundred more rounds through my PPS, and that little ding in the barrel as seen in pictures in this thread is indeed there. There is simply no other answer to the problem. And, like others, I’m not overly concerned at this time. I did clean it up and then cold blued the spot. I’m going to go to the Range again on Saturday and will see if continued peening has occurred. I am just about convinced that it’s as dinged up as it’s going to get and am chalking it up to breaking it in, at least for now. Appreciate your response.
Follow up: I cleaned then cold blued the spot where the peening to the right lower side of the feed ramp was. Another 200 rounds fired since then and NO more evidence of it happening. I am now thinking that it’s “broken in” and not going to be an issue. My peening looks like the other pics in this thread so not going to bother take no more unless something else occurs. The gun just continues to impress me with its handling and accuracy. I am not going to worry about this issue on an inexpensive poly pistol. Walther told me, as apparently they have others, it’s quite normal, not all guns do it, but some do. The fellow I spoke with said he thinks it’s sure to “tool wear” during the manufacturing process. if this was a $1,500 Gun, well I’d not be too happy. But it’s a $300-$400 Gun so I’m good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the update and photos! Are you pretty confident it's stopped? I know some people in this thread said it just continued to get bigger and never stopped. Here's to hoping you're good from here on out...
I've not been worried from the outset because the peening seemed to be pretty small. After 1000 rounds the peening appears to have stopped along a 3mm edge and possibly 1.5mm wide as you can see in the photos. And the last few times to the range visually it really doesn't look any different to me.

After proper break-in, I've not experienced ANY failures. I also take care to oil the trigger bar as indicated in the owners manual which I'm assuming is the answer to minimize barrel damage during that break in. There could be other reasons, or even completely different reasons, but to me lubing metal is for metal on metal friction and there really isn't anything else that this could be for.

I'm really REALLY happy with this gun. With the Lakeline RSA added, she's a great shooter, soft recoil, & deadly accurate.

Reactions: socrates007

·
Registered
365 Posts
I put another 150 rounds through my PPS M2 at the range yesterday. I also shot another pistol and a revolver while I was there. I really love how accurate my PPS M2 is, and it's actually fun to shoot for such a small gun. It now has over 1,200 rounds through it with zero signs of peening. Maybe I was lucky, but there is not even the faintest spot on mine where people report peening. For a $300.00 9mm pistol in this size class, it has no competition IMO. Reliability has been perfect!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't know why the image is not showing up other than in link form.
Possible thread settings? Try this:
Go to User CP
Left pane under Control Panel select Edit Options
Right pane, scroll down to Thread Display Options, under the top box Visible Post Elements, make sure the 3rd box is checked: Show Images.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.