Walther Forums banner

721 - 734 of 734 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I got a different account after I couldn't change my username. I heard back from Walther and here is what they said:

Your PPS M2 has been evaluated by our Gunsmith and his findings are as follows. The feed ramp on the PPS M2 is different than most other guns. There are actually two metal pieces brazed together into one and then the feed ramp is cut after that process takes place. The horizontal line you can see on very far right side of ramp is where the two pieces meet up. The Gunsmith did hone on the ramp to enhance the cosmetics. However, there’s a fine line of taking away too much metal and if he goes any further it could result in feeding issues. Many of these guns exhibit the exact same appearance and it’s been like that since start of production. It presents no concern from safety, functionality, longevity, or other. I don’t recall ever seeing one of these actually break or otherwise separate. The appearance was as such when it left the factory and upon you taking possession of the gun. I can certainly understand where a person may not notice the line at first and then discover it at some point, maybe during a cleaning session. The Gunsmith test fired your gun on our range to confirm complete functionality and there were no issues found. If you ever encounter any issues as it pertains to functionality and reliability then please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Your gun has a lifetime warranty against defects in material or workmanship and we’ll take care of any issues that may arise.

Not a bad response, but still is concerning, to me! I've attached pics of what it looked like before and after sending it in. Let me know what you think.

Feed ramp.jpgAfter Ramp 2.jpg
Mine looks exactly the same as the 2nd picture. There is mark on the right side of lower ramp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine looks exactly the same as the 2nd picture. There is mark on the right side of lower ramp.
nothing to worry about. I sent it to fort smith and they said that’s where the ramp is formed and cut. Over time it’ll start to look like a horizontal line. They honed and polished mine but definitely not necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
nothing to worry about. I sent it to fort smith and they said that’s where the ramp is formed and cut. Over time it’ll start to look like a horizontal line. They honed and polished mine but definitely not necessary.
That is also my guess. Thanks for confirming that. I wonder if you also let them check the barrel peening when your PPS was back to Walther?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is also my guess. Thanks for confirming that. I wonder if you also let them check the barrel peening when your PPS was back to Walther?
I did not for the peening although I should have. I read a lot of posts on here about Walther saying it was normal parts mating so I never mentioned it. However, I sent it in last week for what I thought was a heavy trigger pull and the peening issue and they did replace the barrel, trigger assembly, and fire control assembly. They told me there was nothing wrong with my pistol but at least it was replaced. Unfortunately the M2 has some known issues that are somewhat blown off. I don’t like the fact that you can have multiple M2 with different pull weights, some have a hard break and some don’t, some are smooth and some are gritty feeling, some have barrel peening and some don’t. To me I want reliable and dependable. My M2 has over 1000 rounds and it has never failed. However my next will be the 43 or the p365.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand. Although my PPS has been ultra reliable so far, I am still concerned with barrel peening.

I did not for the peening although I should have. I read a lot of posts on here about Walther saying it was normal parts mating so I never mentioned it. However, I sent it in last week for what I thought was a heavy trigger pull and the peening issue and they did replace the barrel, trigger assembly, and fire control assembly. They told me there was nothing wrong with my pistol but at least it was replaced. Unfortunately the M2 has some known issues that are somewhat blown off. I don’t like the fact that you can have multiple M2 with different pull weights, some have a hard break and some don’t, some are smooth and some are gritty feeling, some have barrel peening and some don’t. To me I want reliable and dependable. My M2 has over 1000 rounds and it has never failed. However my next will be the 43 or the p365.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah, the PPS M2 was a bit of a mixed bag for Walther. I can't in good conscience recommend it above the Glocks, M&P's and other CCW guns out there due to it's documented issues. I had to go through THREE PPS M2's to get one that doesn't peen, and even then, I've considered getting rid of it. Even the PPQ has had it's issues (barrel flaking, issues with the M2 mag release). the last really GREAT gun they had was the P99 and P99c's.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
After 4 plus years and hundreds upon hundreds of rounds down range, I have not had an issue with my PPSM2. I do have that tiny nick on mine as well but I am not concerned about it. In fact I have it on my hip as I type which will most likely be the case until we hit fall. If its a problem to anyone at this point, there are numerous options out there in its class and of course a few that outclass it with round count. In the end, "you must do what you feel is right of course!"

Reactions: DapperDeeds

·
Registered
225 Posts
After 4 plus years and hundreds upon hundreds of rounds down range, I have not had an issue with my PPSM2. I do have that tiny nick on mine as well but I am not concerned about it. In fact I have it on my hip as I type which will most likely be the case until we hit fall. If its a problem to anyone at this point, there are numerous options out there in its class and of course a few that outclass it with round count. In the end, "you must do what you feel is right of course!"
yeah, if you get a good one, you get a good one. I've just seen ENOUGH issues on the M2 that I can't blindly reccomend it to friends as you may experience the peening, and of course the probably taken care of barrel flaking that was showing up a couple of years back.

I tend to think of the gun as for us walther enthusiasts who are willing to wade through a few lemons to get a good one. Because the PPS DOES have a goodly amount going for it ergonomically and function wise. It's just that we have to admit that Walther HAS had some screw ups, most noticeably having a problematic trigger bar to barrel function that they are not willing to recall the gun and redesign it for. It is what it is, and I love my PPS M2, but I have to admit that it was my 3rd one I had to go through to get one that didn't peen badly.

not shitting on Walther as a whole, I think the P99 and P99c are some of the nicest polymer striker fired guns on the planet, and the PPQ M1 (and M2 to a certain extent) are almost as good.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
"I think the P99 and P99c are some of the nicest polymer striker fired guns on the planet, and the PPQ M1 (and M2 to a certain extent) are almost as good."

I have the 99, 99c and M1 myself and they are top notch. My 99c is my workhorse but I do give a break for the summer. My PPSM2 replaced my M&P Shield which I shot better but ditched after it started having malfunctions. I suppose I am fortunate not to have had major problems with any Walther and some have been 100% flawless in operation without even one hiccup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"I think the P99 and P99c are some of the nicest polymer striker fired guns on the planet, and the PPQ M1 (and M2 to a certain extent) are almost as good."

I have the 99, 99c and M1 myself and they are top notch. My 99c is my workhorse but I do give a break for the summer. My PPSM2 replaced my M&P Shield which I shot better but ditched after it started having malfunctions. I suppose I am fortunate not to have had major problems with any Walther and some have been 100% flawless in operation without even one hiccup.
I am curious what malfunction your shield had experienced? There is no obvious design flaw that cause the gun to fail and SW is generally very good with warranty services.

721 - 734 of 734 Posts