Walther Forums banner

661 - 680 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Interesting. I didn't think to take photos of the 2 "possible peening" issues I have (or don't have). Literally almost invisible to the naked eye, like the point of a pin pressed into the metal right at the natural seam.

IF I had bad peening, I would write a strongly worded letter to Walther demanding a completely replaced barrel and trigger bar that would restore the gun to proper design.

Good luck to those with this issue, which again seems like a present but rare defect.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my first one was moderate, but when Walther said "it's normal" I sold it off. the second one (a year later) was near new out of the box and I watched the trigger bar impact the barrel side and just washed my hand of it before it became worse

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seems like only a very, very, very small handful of very vocal people who have accounts on multiple gun related sites who all reference one or two threads (this thread mainly) on this site have had any issues. I believe they're making the issues they had appear to be more wide spread than it ever was (IMHO). I only have one, and it's been fine. The PPS M2 has been around for years with many thousands of people owning one or more, but I haven't heard of much chatter about this issue besides in a couple of threads...

The most recent regurgitation was recently on the S&W forum by Moonpup, and then again on TheHighRoud forum by another member who referenced this thread...

I only have a couple of hundred through mine so far using both brass and aluminum cased ammo. I'll shoot another few hundred next week.. Just curious for those who had issues, how many rounds did you put through the gun before the peening appeared?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I remember correctly, some have noticed the peening within 100-200 rounds fired. There certainly are thousands of PPS's out there and VERY few complaints of peening, but you also have to take in to account that the VAST majority of PPS owners aren't as obsessive about their firearms (being obsessive about firearms is a good thing) as many on this forum. I would bet that most owners haven't even heard of the problem let alone looked for it. Heck, I bet most owners rarely if ever field strip their gun to clean it properly so they would have no way of knowing if the problem is there. Who knows, it really may be a very rare issue, but without inspecting a huge number of randomly selected guns, we'll never know. If was really that rare, I have to wonder why some of our members had the issue on multiple guns, even some purchased a year apart. Coincidence? Maybe, but mathematical probability would say otherwise. My PPS has mild rubbing, but no peening. I would certainly recommend that all PPS owners inspect their firearm. I really wish that Walther had handled this better and corrected the problem right up front. It's way better to admit a problem and get out in front of it before it becomes a PR nightmare.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine became noticeable between 200-250 rounds. I am going to continue to use the gun and monitor. I used a gun black touch up pen on the spot and shot it an additional 150 rounds today. The black rubbed off and the spot seemed to get slightly larger but it is hard to tell. Man is the trigger sweet so hopefully this ends up being a non-issue or Walther can correct it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine became noticeable between 200-250 rounds. I am going to continue to use the gun and monitor. I used a gun black touch up pen on the spot and shot it an additional 150 rounds today. The black rubbed off and the spot seemed to get slightly larger but it is hard to tell. Man is the trigger sweet so hopefully this ends up being a non-issue or Walther can correct it.
Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I noticed your serial begins with AV. Since mine is AT wouldn’t that suggest this is not limited to a small batch? Not sure how the numbering works though.

Sunman, I wish I could be more informative on the serial numbering. For my PPS, The BI build date is '18. Considering this thread started about a year and a half ago, I'm thinking it's not limited to a small batch but instead it's a characteristic of this model Walther and happens in varying degrees.

I'm going to keep an eye on mine and photograph it after a few hundred more rounds to track the wear. The photo you see is greatly magnified. The pointer you see in the photo is a computer stylus and the peening is probably about .3 millimeters. Compared to Gordo's photos, I'm finding it hard to get real excited about it at the moment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took some measurements and after the disconnector releases the trigger bar it moves up as expected but also inward about 3 hundredths of an inch. It seems to have entirely clearanced itself on the barrel at this point so I don’t expect it to get much worse.

With the gun field stripped the trigger bar lays perfectly flat against the rail when moved back and forth through the entire range. So it is really odd that it moves inward only when in the “up” position. Anyone have any ideas what it could be hitting on in that position that would force it inward?

·
Registered
817 Posts
The back end of the trigger bar is tilting too much. So when the left hand side cruciform dips the trigger bar tilts and the front end move in toward the centerline. This is because the "horn" is located close enough forward on the trigger bar that it will hit the barrel, unless it is vertical when the barrel is near lockup. For the horn to be vertical the back end left hand side cruciform must not tilt too much.
Walther should fit the m2 trigger bar and internal parts better during assembly to constrain the cruciform to remedy the peening.

The pps classic has a different design than the m2 at the cruciform and disconnectors that constrains the cruciform end better. Yet even the classic comes in very slight contact with the barrel if the trigger bar is tilted too much.

I do not have a p99 or ppq but compared to the Glock 19 and 26. The Glock trigger bar horn is far enough back that it never can contact the barrel. The pps m1 and m2 the trigger bar horn must clear the back end of the barrel and position exactly in the recessed area of the barrel right hand side. Otherwise it will cause peening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I understand what you are saying but nothing appears to be forcing the left side of the cruciform down. Instead something seems to be forcing the right side inward.

·
Registered
817 Posts
When the trigger bar left hand side cruciform tilts downward at the back end, the trigger bar front end moves upward and inward due to the tilt, if the trigger bar back end should also move to the right, the front end moves to the left inward even more (see saw action). So due to the trigger bar shape, bar bends angle etc the horn is moved inward enough to hit the barrel and cause peening.
The extent of movement and resulting peening varies by how much variance there is in the trigger bar movement at the back end. There is not a pronounced channel or guide (channel block perhaps) to constrain the trigger bar cruciform movement in the m2 design, so assembly of parts is very important in maintain proper trigger bar orientation during the firing cycle. If there is too much room to drop the back end downward that is when the peening can result.
Alignment and fitting of the internals can prevent the problem. Apparently many m2 are assembled ok but some are not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is old but I figured I would share what I have found with mine. I have over 2000 rounds through my pps m2. The finish Is just barely rubbed off but nothing bad compared to others I have seen. Mine is only a few months old and outside of the recall so hopefully they got this resolved. I called Walther just for the heck of it and they said it is completely normal. Loving the gun so far besides my 6 round mag feeding issue. It is currently at Walther getting looked at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I called Walther customer service last week asking them about the issue. The fellow was very nice when I asked him about the barrel peening issue with the PPS M2.

He said there have been reports of peening but that it was perfectly normal. I asked him why it would be normal to have the trigger bar impact the barrel and peen it. He indicated that was a normal function and it would not affect the operation of the gun.

I asked if taking the black finish off of the barrel could result in rust or damage and he said normal maintenance of the gun would prevent any issues.

It is too bad Walther hasn't resolved this issue as the M2 is available at a great price and should be an opportunity for folks to get into the Walther higher-priced offerings with this initial purchase.

This issue has dragged on for several years online and seems like it could have been relatively easily fixed and thus a non-issue for Walther.

I have never experienced a peening issue with any other 9mm and don't relish taking a chance on having it with the PPS M2. That is too bad as for $299 for the LE version they look to be great values.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Since you brought it up I've had mine over three years with hundreds and hundreds of rounds down range. No issues with mine and I've only heard of a few in this forum since they came out. It's a fine gun from what I've experienced but there are tons of other similar options out there in this day and age.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

He said ...it was perfectly normal. I asked him why it would be normal to have the trigger bar impact the barrel and peen it. He indicated that was a normal function and it would not affect the operation of the gun.

Does that answer strike you as having the substance of baby food?

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
How could it reasonably be considered a "normal function" for two parts which ordinarily have no mechanical interaction to be violently gnashing themselves together, leaving a gouge in the barrel which ought to tell any engineer that something is not right and needs correction?

My guess is that Walther's engineers long ago identified the flaw, but management told them to ignore it. It's cheaper to declare that it's "normal".

M

661 - 680 of 720 Posts