Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my PK380 a few years ago, the forums spoke and the Hornady Critical Defense seemed to work best with that pistol. It is an expensive practice round but good for carry or home defense.

I just picked up a PPS M2 LE. I am looking for a practice round that works well with this pistol. What works well for your PPS M2? I plan on using Critical Defense for carry and home defense, any thoughts on that? What carry/home defense works well for your PPS M2?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve ran 1000 rounds of Winchester white box through mine. No issues, jams, stove pipes, or failures. I’ve only used it for range so can’t speak to the home defense rounds.... however everything I’ve heard the M2 will eat anything... except +P

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I bought my PK380 a few years ago, the forums spoke and the Hornady Critical Defense seemed to work best with that pistol. It is an expensive practice round but good for carry or home defense.

I just picked up a PPS M2 LE. I am looking for a practice round that works well with this pistol. What works well for your PPS M2? I plan on using Critical Defense for carry and home defense, any thoughts on that? What carry/home defense works well for your PPS M2?
I've had my PPS M2 LE for a few years now. I also use a dedicated SD round to carry, but practice with something more affordable.. In my case, I chose my defensive round first [Federal HST 147 gr], and then using it's stated velocity and weight, looked for a similar spec'd practice round - that turned out to be the Speer Lawman 147 gr. Comparing the two by loading each as alternate rounds in the magazine, it was obvious how very close they were in terms of recoil and POI. They ended up in the same spot, and felt identical to my hands shooting them. If I were shooting a 135 gr Critical Defense round, I'd suggest finding another [or two] 135 gr practice rounds with close to the same initial velocity, then test them back to back and use the closest match for practice. Since my HST's cost $.80 to $1 a round, and Lawman 147 costs $.20 -.25, the savings stack up quickly. I also run Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P occasionally, and it's also quite close to the feel and POI of the Lawman 147 gr.
Other practice rounds I like to use are the same 147 gr weight, but the velocity is much lower [by at least 100-150 FPS]. I like to practice with those when I've been shooting a lot, and want something more comfortable to shoot with less recoil - or if I'm introducing pistol shooting to a friend, or one of my kids. ASYM's 9mm reman training rounds [925 FPS] are a good example of those - very soft shooting. Possibly a good competition round to give you quick follow up shots, if you're looking for that. These are laughably easy to shoot in my bigger Walther's [PPQ Navy, and Q5 Match].

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Sig Sauer 124gr V-Crown shoots very well in my PPS. This is my go to self-defense ammo. The practice version of this ammo works without a problem. I cannot recall any brand that my PPS didn't like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve ran 1000 rounds of Winchester white box through mine. No issues, jams, stove pipes, or failures. I’ve only used it for range so can’t speak to the home defense rounds.... however everything I’ve heard the M2 will eat anything... except +P
Seems pretty common that the PPS shoots well with whatever is put in it. Makes me feel good about this purchase. Now to locate some ammo and hit the range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my PPS M2 LE for a few years now. I also use a dedicated SD round to carry, but practice with something more affordable.. In my case, I chose my defensive round first [Federal HST 147 gr], and then using it's stated velocity and weight, looked for a similar spec'd practice round - that turned out to be the Speer Lawman 147 gr. Comparing the two by loading each as alternate rounds in the magazine, it was obvious how very close they were in terms of recoil and POI. They ended up in the same spot, and felt identical to my hands shooting them. If I were shooting a 135 gr Critical Defense round, I'd suggest finding another [or two] 135 gr practice rounds with close to the same initial velocity, then test them back to back and use the closest match for practice. Since my HST's cost $.80 to $1 a round, and Lawman 147 costs $.20 -.25, the savings stack up quickly. I also run Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P occasionally, and it's also quite close to the feel and POI of the Lawman 147 gr.
Other practice rounds I like to use are the same 147 gr weight, but the velocity is much lower [by at least 100-150 FPS]. I like to practice with those when I've been shooting a lot, and want something more comfortable to shoot with less recoil - or if I'm introducing pistol shooting to a friend, or one of my kids. ASYM's 9mm reman training rounds [925 FPS] are a good example of those - very soft shooting. Possibly a good competition round to give you quick follow up shots, if you're looking for that. These are laughably easy to shoot in my bigger Walther's [PPQ Navy, and Q5 Match].
That's useful information when choosing similar SD and practice rounds. I see how that would keep shooting similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sig Sauer 124gr V-Crown shoots very well in my PPS. This is my go to self-defense ammo. The practice version of this ammo works without a problem. I cannot recall any brand that my PPS didn't like.
I picked up the only box of sig sauer elite performance fmj 115g I could find. Ammo is hard to find right now. I will give the v crowns a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve had my PPS M2 about 6 weeks and put Remington, Winchester white and Federal through it, along with a bunch of 124 grain reloads from dozens of different brass. All flawless. Love the pistol. It replaced my Glock 43 for concealed carry. A superior firearm, as are all my Walthers.

Reactions: screamingeagle71

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, ammo is hard to find right now. I came across some Herter's and my friend found some Fiocchi. I'm hoping to get to the range this weekend and try what we have. With the variety from all of you and the good results you all are getting, I feel good about this new pistol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Off the top of my head I can recall shooting, in somewhere around 1300-1500rds: WWB, Federal 115gr FMJ (red box now), 124gr and 147 Federal HST, 124gr Speer Gold Dot, Sig Elite V-Crown (don't recall weight), Fiocchi 124gr FMJ, Remington 124gr NATO, and I think some Hornady Critical Defense. No issues. The only ammunition my PPS did not like was some cheap aluminum cased stuff. Had failure to extract because the case expanded too much, too quickly. Had to knock it out from the muzzle end. It was some cheap brand. I hear the Federal aluminum cased stuff is good to go but I have no experience with it.

Bottom line: any factory new, brass cased ammo should be good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve put ~1000 rounds through mine. A mix of Fiocchi 115gr and 124gr fmj as well as Sellier & Bellot 124gr. My indoor range only allows brass fmj so I typically get either Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi 124gr for all my 9mm. They’re pretty clean and consistent, never had failures, and can usually get a good price of ~$.19/rd bulk at sportsman’s guide. Only ammo my PPS had issues with was Winchester Ranger T-series 147gr, had a couple of FTE’s, but ran fine on an M&P - I read somewhere other folks had similar issues with this ammo. Since then I’ve standardized all my SD ammo to Federal HST 124gr. It’s thoroughly field proven and runs flawlessly on everything I’ve got, you can typically find it for $.80/rd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to the range yesterday. Put some Fiocchi 115g fmj, Sig Sauer Elite Performance 115g fmj and Herter's 115g fmj. Around a 130 rounds and this awesome pistol did not skip a beat. I did not have a single problem with the performance of this pistol. Loading the magazines were painful on the thumb after the first 3 rounds but that was fixed by the speed loader I picked up today. I also picked up some Federal 115g fmj. I'll try that next time at the range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My PPS is an extremely fine pistol, solidly made and feels great in the hand. I’ve been using a speed loader for years because of mild arthritis in both thumbs. It is a life-saver.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I carry 147 grain HSTs most of the time and shoot them for practice sparingly. I mostly shoot whatever FMJs I can get my hands on at a good price. But still you need to shoot what you carry. It's summer time and I am carrying my PPS M2 as I give my P99c the summer off.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been running Blazer 225g FMJ rounds in my PPS M2 optic and took it through my annual retired LEO certification course and then ran my agency's shoot house and absolutely no problems. Love the red dot optic.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I use Freedom Munitions 115/124 JHP for the range. I have found that my PPS and I prefer Black Hills 115gr +P TAC for self defense round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been running Blazer 225g FMJ rounds in my PPS M2 optic and took it through my annual retired LEO certification course and then ran my agency's shoot house and absolutely no problems. Love the red dot optic.
Damn! That’s heavy. What are they made of, depleted uranium? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts