Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a couple and by a couple I mean two to be exact, failure to ejects like the shell got jammed in the slide when I was at the range today. I was using Remington 115 grain full metal jacket range ammo; now I have upgraded my recoil spring from the factory polymer based one to a stainless steel, it also went up from 18 pounds to 22 pounds. now my normal ammunition is federal premium plus P 9mm 147 grain hollowpoint, Which is going to have a little more pressure to push that slide back, do you think that by upgrading my regular recoil spring that I should continue to run plus P? I normally keep it loaded with plus P Hollow points because I use it for concealed carry.
Also this is a M1 can someone point me in the direction of an affordable reliable rail mountable laser for the front

I don’t want a junkie Ebay one but I don’t want one that’s going to set me back too far where the wife is going to yell at me 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Was the pistol cleaned and lubed before you shot it?

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Limp wristing? The PPS needs to be treated like a hot girlfriend around all your single buddies...keep your hands on 'er tight and don't let go.. LOL

I've got a DPM spring kit in mine and run 124gr +p. Been this way for 5 years and counting. No issues, other than than the damned ammo is $$$. ;)

If it's cleaned and lubed as per Vandal's suggestion, I'd be sure you're squeezin' her tight..remember...hot chick in front of your single homies... ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Limp wristing? The PPS needs to be treated like a hot girlfriend around all your single buddies...keep your hands on 'er tight and don't let go.. LOL

I've got a DPM spring kit in mine and run 124gr +p. Been this way for 5 years and counting. No issues, other than than the damned ammo is $$$. ;)

If it's cleaned and lubed as per Vandal's suggestion, I'd be sure you're squeezin' her tight..remember...hot chick in front of your single homies... ;)
Link for the dpm spring kit?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you think the new spring may have attempted to eject, but the slide didn't have enough umph to cycle another round, spit out the case; leaving the case back in place? I still have the OEM spring from 2008. If you just put in this new spring and its causing problems now. My guess is the spring.

The only issue I ever had with my M1 PPS was failure to extract. This was only caused by Blazer Aluminum case ammo. Its cheap crap ammo and did not go well with PPS. My guess there was extractor didn't grab a hold on the rim. It feeds everything else.

I personally would not feed it a steady diet of +p for range ammo. Cost, wear and tear etc. After a very long view of Ammo Quest's series on 9mm carry ammo in 3" pistols I went with Federal HST 150gr for less recoil (for follow up). I would also have no issue with the 147gr or the +p. I wish they tested the 150 gr in the series although it was surmized a few grains heavier was expected to perform a tab better than 147.

Nothing wrong with the +p. For me, I would replace the OEM spring back, but ensure the +p will work well. 100 rounds is good for me. Practice with range ammo but keep in mind elevation- point of aim and impacts may vary slightly with the +p and 115 range stuff.

As for a laser If you do go that route green does pick up faster to the eye. Give Crimson Trace a call to see if they have something that may fit. I personally don't think they help. I feel you spend more time looking for the dot vs getting the sights up. I'm sure there are departments someplace that have them but I don't think its a clear advantage as much as a light as far as issuing rail add-ons. You didn't ask but Olight mini Valkyrie will bite on, but not good/flsuh enough for CCW. It could serve as a night stand add-on in a pinch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my experience a 22lb spring is too heavy for a short barreled 9mm. It will work for the hotter cartridges but in my opinion it’s probably not ideal to setup a gun that can’t devour a variety of ammo in the event of an ammo shortage. 19-20lbs should be good.

As a side note: the original is solid and if you go up from oem springs it’s best to do so no more than two pounds from my experience with 9mm unless you are running +p+ cartridges. I customized an M9 years ago with a Barsto barrel which can handle +p+ and test +2 and +4 pound springs. I found +4 to be okay with my hot defensive ammo. I ended up dropping down to +2 in a CroSil spring and it worked perfectly for 10,000+ rounds until it was sold at which point I slapped a spare spring in and was still a tack driver. I would never dare shoot +p+ in my PPS even though I’m sure it would be fine for a while, yet being so short of an action seems like it would be too violent a recoil impulse. The HST for micro pistols works well for me with the factory springs. I would not be above finding a CroSil spring or spare oem due to the fact that I do not know what Walther uses for springs. That said mine is running strong at probably around 1000 rounds or so, maybe 2000+ now that I think about it. 2-3000 is where springs will show signs of atrophy if they are not made of higher end materials like piano wire or silicone types which I have yet to retire in a rifle running 15k+ military cartridges. That said I have had oem springs made in other countries start to crap out in 1000 rounds. The silicone spring I have in my 1911A1 is still going at 15,000+ rounds of 45 Auto.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am not sure why you want to change out the spring?? I typically carry 124 to 147 gr ammo. Never had a problem. But, I don't usually carry +P..
And, at the range, I often run a clearing drill by loading an empty case someplace randomly in the stack on multiple mags. Mix up the mags, then shoot.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I own a couple of PPS M1s. They seem to prefer hotter ammuntion. The only chokes I've ever had was with 115 grain range ammuntion. 124 grain seems to work just fine.

Reactions: usvi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts