Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Looking for some guidance. Recently purchased a new, well better stated unused (manufactured in 2009) PPS in .40 S&W. Love it! BUT.... went to the range and fired it for the 1st time. Loaded the 6 round magazine with 5 rounds, slow fired (at 15' covered a 3" circle). No issues. Release mag, reloaded with 5 rounds, and fired without issue. Repeated one more time with out issue.

Then, getting a bit cocky, loaded 5 rounds, and proceeded to do a rapid fire (as quick as I could cover the target). 4 round fired nice, and then the 5th nothing, I looked and the last round was sticking straight up - bullet up, case down, between slide and breach. Cleared the weapon. checked everything, reloaded clip with 5 rounds, slow fire - no issue.

Again, loaded 5 rounds, rapid fire, last round sticking up (like a stove pipe). Loaded 5 rounds, slow fired, no issues.. ran another 40 rounds through it slow fire w/o incident. Did one last rapid fire run.. and again last run FTF, stove pipe like.

Okay, beside NOT throwing the gun against the wall (just kidding) .. any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like only one magazine came with the gun. From what I have read (not experienced first-hand) the magazine is usually suspected for the pattern of problem you encountered.

Make sure the magazine follower moves freely in the magazine, especially where it is positioned when loaded with 1 and 2 rounds. Press against it from different angles to see if it has smooth motion.

Also, does the last round in the magazine sit at a different angle (in the feed lips) compared to the second to last round?

Notwithstanding the above, I would begin to suspect the magazine spring is out of spec.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Dirty mag?
Brand new mag? (as in, stiff, not "broken in"?)
possible limp wristing during rapid fire?

Make sure your mag is clean and free of any bits of debris that might impede the follower from a smooth steady travel as rounds are fired.

Also, let it sit for a few days/nights, mag fully loaded, and in the gun. Doesn't have to have a round chambered, doesn't even have to have the mag(s) in the pistol, for that matter.

Maybe during the rapid fire your grip shifts and you lose a little "force" holding the pistol that you otherwise do not during slow fire..

I can deliberately induce stove pipes in my PPQ by limp wristing, but it does take some rather deliberate, almost letting go of it to get this result.
The PPS, nada. Even limp wristing my 9mm doesn't cause a stovepipe.

Good luck, and if you figure it out, let us know. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
My first thought is that something about your technique while rapid-firing is causing limp-wristing, since you don't get FTFs when you fire deliberately. Try rapid-firing again with particular attention to limp-wristing, and/or let someone else try and see what happens.

Otherwise, clean the gun and the mags, and then see if this occurs only with one particular mag or with others as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight and suggestion folks.

Okay, field stripped the PPS, polished the feed ramps, polished the underside of the slide in contact magazine round, cleaned it (white glove clean), and lightly lubed rails.

Then took apart the magazine. Checked magazine tube/tunnel for burrs and high spots (none), thoroughly clean it and the spring. Smoothed out a burr/gouge on the follower caused by feeding the last rounds. Check magazine lips for burrs/dents (none). Reassembled and worked the magazine many times (with dowel, and pushing down) and found no hang ups.

To test the magazine, fully loaded it, and one by one, using my thumb, pushed out the rounds. All but the last one, slid out nicely. The last one stood-up!

Appears the last round, due to the drag and shape of the follower, does not slide out as smooth as the others, and the follower spring "pop" it into a standing position if not fed fast enough - adding support to the "limp wrist". Limp wrist might have slowed the velocity of the slide, and as such, may not be pushing the last round into the chamber fast enough.

Okay, a lot of guessing. Needless to say, I and the PSS are ready for the range, and in the next two weeks I will be there, strong wrist in all.

BTW - I am a big man, large wrists, have many large caliber, hard rocking pistols & revolvers the I enjoy shooting. Never thought of meself as a limp wrister. {sigh}.

Thanks for the assistance folks, will let you all know of the results.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 40 along with 5, 6 and 7 round magazines. I was having an identical issue with just the 6 round magazine, except mine seemed ammo sensitive. I disassembled the mag, but couldn't find any obvious issues. I contacted Walther and they asked me to send the magazine to them for evaluation. I just sent it yesterday so I haven't heard back from them yet. I hope I can get this resolved soon - the 6 rounder was my favorite sized magazine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
BTW - I am a big man, large wrists, have many large caliber, hard rocking pistols & revolvers the I enjoy shooting. Never thought of meself as a limp wrister. {sigh}.
It's got nothing to do with strength, really. I'm 5'11" and 165lbs. If you and I shook hands you could probably crush mine.

It's all about technique. Yours must be breaking down when you fire rapidly, which is magnified on the PPS because it is a subcompact and has such a stiff recoil spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
{sigh}

Well, went to the range ... and same issue as before .. stove piping a live round at the last round in the magazine (6 Rounder) ... given a few comments on the is thread of late, appears this might not be that rare of an occurrence.

Awesome shooting .. 25 ft, cover a 10 shot group with a closed fist ... just can't trust the last round to feed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay this is scary .. mine is also the 6 rounder!
I got my magazine back from Walther... in a box with only the magazine and a simple note on the statement that said "Tested magazine 2 full mags and no issues found". My first thought was - Wow, what an extensive test (sarcasm)!!! So, I took it outside with a new box of Monarch Brass (Privi) 180gr JHP. The last time I had this issue I was shooting Federal Champion 180gr FMJ, so at least I tried different ammo this time. The first full magazine ran fine. On the last shot of the second magazine - guess what - the case rim buried in the magazine with the bullet jammed into the roof of barrel hood, almost straight up and down, just like before!

My second thought was - Walther Customer Service SUCKS, I'll fix this myself!!!!!! So I got out my trusty Leatherman and carefully bent the lips of the magazine in and down, almost imperceptibly so. I spent the rest of the box firing them out of the 6-round magazine 2 or 3 rounds at a time and did not have another issue. Can I say this minor tweak is the answer - probably not yet, but so far so good.

You might give tweaking the feed lips of your 6-round magazine a try and see if it helps??? This simple job fixed a feeding issue with a $180 Taurus, so I hope it will work for my $520 Walther too. Good luck with yours!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
How about sending a note directly to Glen, the head of customer service, and let him know exactly what took place here ... or what didn't? The only way they are going to know that all is not well in Walthertown is for folks to tell them.

Walther Arms Inc.
7700 Chad Colley Blvd.
Fort Smith, AR 72916
(479) 242-8500
[email protected]

Glen Seiter is the head of the customer service operation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's a thought, if it's only happening with the 6 round mags...

Best I can tell all the magazine configurations use the same spring. In the case of the 6 rounder, that would mean that the last round is under significantly more spring tension than when the last round feeds from a longer mag. If one was in the mood to experiment, taking some off the spring might be another option to try instead of bending the feedlips.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It didn't happen all the time with mine either. Seemed especially problematic shooting Federal Champion 180gr range ammo. I've shot 88 rounds (50 Champions) 2 or 3 at a time since I tweaked the feed lips of the 6-round magazine and it hasn't failed so far. I don't want it to happen any time, or either the magazine, or the pistol, or both will have to go. I'll put more rounds through the mag and pistol before I consider it/them fixed, but it's a good start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will have to do more shooting to find out if my 6-rounder is reliable. I thought it was probably limp-wristing that caused my several ftf, but it was strange that it happened only on the last round in the 6-rounder. During my last range trip I made sure I had a firm and tight grip with every shot and had no ftf. I may try your "fix" of bending the feed lips if I continue to have the problem.

On another note, I used to use the small backstrap, but now use the larger one. I believe the larger backstrap allows a higher grip (in that it forces your palm to angle up a little higher) on the gun with the grip more in line with the barrel, which helps prevent my limp-wristing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last rd ftf on 6rd mag

Same problem, brand new PPS. Only happens with 6rdmag. Doesn't matter if I fire fast or slow, short load or fully load.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll hopefully have a definitive answer tomorrow or Tuesday about this. My new PPS M2 had FTL problems with the last round in the 6 round mag on 2 of the first 8 uses. The slide locks back with the round still in the mag. It was sent back to Ft Smith on Feb 3 and I got a shipping notice from Fedex for a Feb 16 delivery. Problem is that Walther hasn't contacted me about what the problem and solution was. Since tomorrow is a holiday I may have to wait for the box to arrive and check their documentation.

Edit. This thread may be about a problem different from mine. Sorry if I jumped too fast.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Same problem, brand new PPS. Only happens with 6rdmag. Doesn't matter if I fire fast or slow, short load or fully load.
Went to the range and fired 50rds out of my new PPS M2. Went great but noticed when I was almost done with the box of ammo. On the last 2 mags with only the 6rd mags that I was having the same problem. Would eject the round but not pick up the round. Fire, fire, fire, click... fire, click... I figured it was ammo or the mag. After reading these 6rd mag problems. I am going to figure that is the problem.

To add, I am going to clean that 6rd mag and have another go. Hope that will clear everything up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts