Walther Forums banner

PPS IWB (and other) Holster and Mag Holster Recommendations

171K views 324 replies 168 participants last post by  Gman10 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a IWB holster for my PPS 9mm and was wondering if you folks had any suggestions/recommendations? Also, what are people using for spare magazine holsters? In-depth explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#35 ·
Left-hand IWB Holster for PPS .40?

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forum and I've been trying to no avail for quite a while to find a left-hand IWB holster (preferably leather) for my PPS with a rail-mounted laser sight (Genesis rechargeable, if it matters).

From what I've found so far, I haven't yet seen anything matching these criteria ...

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

#36 ·
left handed with laser

doing some holsters with the streamlights and surefire but in dont have access to any lasermax stuff yet, but then i have only done leather n kydex or kydex on kydex, I would check though the list at the front of the thread but most likely ur going to need a custom and someone local which is tuff... best of luck!

#38 ·
I just recently purchase a IWB for my PPS from PJ Holsters and this thing is awesome. It is the most comfortable and easy holster I have ever worn. They are $45 with free ship and if you do not like it you can return it for a full refund. I also picked up a OWB PPQ holster that is going to be perfect for the range. Check out his website.

#40 ·
Hi,

As a, new to handgun ownership, reader here I am in the market for a cary/range holster for my new PPS. I have looked at the leather/Kydex holsters and also the PJ holsters recommended above. It seems, to a novice such as myself, the Leather/kydex would be a bit more comforable but that may not be the case.
I need to get something for now at the outdoor range. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tom
Cape Cod

#41 ·
just my 2 cents worth

My first bit of advice is to get really good training. As for holsters here is what I would do, a Fobus paddle holster OWB for the range, get training on how to draw from your holster among other things! For CC carry IWB, I would go with a leather n kydex option there r lots of good ones.

I made this one here runs $65, has retention adjustment, hight adjustment and kant adjustment, i made this one bc i personally didn't like the options I found out in the market place... there are some good ones just not for me.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/d596bee3.jpg

This is by far the most comfy holster I have done so far and draws like lightning :) and is thin.

Do your research before you buy :) best of luck!

Pictures by hike2fish - Photobucket

#46 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a good "field" holster for the PPS? I'm going for a weekend backpacking trip soon and decided I'll bring it since I can conceal carry at the state parks and would feel better with it than without.

I use the MTAC everyday now, but feel like all that leather on me while I hike is going to be a bad idea. I used to have a cheapo holster from Wally World that was cloth/plastic that could be used OWB or IWB and considered getting something like this again.

Any ideas? Thanks all.

#47 ·
Are you set on IWB?

Personally, I'd never go for a hike IWB. But for me IWB is reserved for rare occasions when I feel the need to go extra-low profile and/or practical clothing options demand it. I hate it.

As far as a better IWB holster than the MTAC (I'm assuming a Minotaur?) for a hike? My opinion is that you'll trade the extra discomfort (probably heat and sweat) from the leather, for more/worse irritation from rubbing (without the leather). Although, you'll obviously get some of both either way.

I'd go OWB even if it meant wearing a cover garment or an oversized tee. I'd be using the Gladiator or an RCS. If I didn't own either and I wanted something fast, cheap, and serviceable for the specific situation... I'd get an Unkle Mikes nylon OWB with a thumb break.

#50 · (Edited)
hiking carry rigs

I just made this for the very purpose of hiking and fishing, this can be worn IWB or OWB by switching the clips. When my pack is on I carry in (see condor link) attached to my belt this way i can put my hand in the bag on the firearm with out anyone knowing and if needed I can shoot though the bag.

3-fold Mag Recovery Pouch

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/d6006d4a.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/b3843150.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/03d33c57.jpg

#51 ·
Those are ideas I was looking for.

Yeah, light backpacking with my Hennessy Hammock :D and you are right about the waist strap interfering....I was thinking about putting it on the waste strap but that presents another problem in that it can easily be separated from me and now is in the open. The PPS fits in that Osprey pack!? how many mags do you bring?

Hike2Fish - I actually have that dump pouch from when I served and never though about using it that way. I'm going to see if the MTAC fits in it fine, and if it does I might have a winner. The pouch drops the PPS below the waist strap and keeps it conceal, nice!

But it does seem that there isn't really anything specifically made for this purpose on the market. Thanks again all, anymore ideas welcomed!

#52 ·
dump pouch

Hammock's rock I use a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater... doing 42 miles next weekend!

Pouch setup works nice while the pack is on, I carry 2 spare mags in the pouch as well this way I can dump the pack and move and the pouch is attached to my hip... not my pack, but like u said it sits lower than the hip belt.

I have made an insert for the pouch that works with my kydex holster, i like the setup and the fact that i can place my hand in the pouch if approached by questionable people... with my hand on the firearm but they cant see what's in the bag, i can shoot one round by just easing the firearm up to uncover the trigger and if needed a first shot though the bag would buy me time to clear the bag tap and rack and follow up if needed! If you need a kydex on kydex holster IWB/OWB made just let me know :) I would do the holster and dump pouch insert for u, would take about a week.

#64 ·
New to the PPS and the forum.

I've got a Fobus paddle holster and a White Hat IWB. Both holsters are new to me as well. The Fobus is a straight forward paddle holster, pretty self explanatory. My White Hat IWB is taking some getting used to, but conceals real well at 2 o'clock.

I have noticed that some of the parkerizing is starting to wear off, near the front of the barrel. Is there anything I can do about this? A holster that has a softer liner?

This is a utility piece for me and I know that this would eventually happen, but this gun has very few rounds through it and it's already showing signs of holster wear.

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.