Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
just my 2 cents worth

Hi,

As a, new to handgun ownership, reader here I am in the market for a cary/range holster for my new PPS. I have looked at the leather/Kydex holsters and also the PJ holsters recommended above. It seems, to a novice such as myself, the Leather/kydex would be a bit more comforable but that may not be the case.
I need to get something for now at the outdoor range. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tom
Cape Cod
My first bit of advice is to get really good training. As for holsters here is what I would do, a Fobus paddle holster OWB for the range, get training on how to draw from your holster among other things! For CC carry IWB, I would go with a leather n kydex option there r lots of good ones.

I made this one here runs $65, has retention adjustment, hight adjustment and kant adjustment, i made this one bc i personally didn't like the options I found out in the market place... there are some good ones just not for me.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/d596bee3.jpg

This is by far the most comfy holster I have done so far and draws like lightning :) and is thin.

Do your research before you buy :) best of luck!

Pictures by hike2fish - Photobucket

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you all again. I will be ordering a fobus owb for the range. They offer two models one with more adjustment, any thoughts on which one to get?

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
which one

Thank you all again. I will be ordering a fobus owb for the range. They offer two models one with more adjustment, any thoughts on which one to get?

Thanks again,

Tom
Well again just my 2 cent worth get the one with out adjustment, your going to grow out of it any way... once you learn to draw from the OWB your going to want to switch over to whatever IWB you use on a daily basis. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation for a good "field" holster for the PPS? I'm going for a weekend backpacking trip soon and decided I'll bring it since I can conceal carry at the state parks and would feel better with it than without.

I use the MTAC everyday now, but feel like all that leather on me while I hike is going to be a bad idea. I used to have a cheapo holster from Wally World that was cloth/plastic that could be used OWB or IWB and considered getting something like this again.

Any ideas? Thanks all.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation for a good "field" holster for the PPS? I'm going for a weekend backpacking trip soon and decided I'll bring it since I can conceal carry at the state parks and would feel better with it than without.

I use the MTAC everyday now, but feel like all that leather on me while I hike is going to be a bad idea. I used to have a cheapo holster from Wally World that was cloth/plastic that could be used OWB or IWB and considered getting something like this again.

Any ideas? Thanks all.
Are you set on IWB?

Personally, I'd never go for a hike IWB. But for me IWB is reserved for rare occasions when I feel the need to go extra-low profile and/or practical clothing options demand it. I hate it.

As far as a better IWB holster than the MTAC (I'm assuming a Minotaur?) for a hike? My opinion is that you'll trade the extra discomfort (probably heat and sweat) from the leather, for more/worse irritation from rubbing (without the leather). Although, you'll obviously get some of both either way.

I'd go OWB even if it meant wearing a cover garment or an oversized tee. I'd be using the Gladiator or an RCS. If I didn't own either and I wanted something fast, cheap, and serviceable for the specific situation... I'd get an Unkle Mikes nylon OWB with a thumb break.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah, it will most definitely be OWB for the reasons you said, and with a shirt over it.

I think an Uncle Mike's might do it. Those nylon ones will work to protect it if I decide to stuff it into the pack too. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're actually going "backpacking" (and not just hiking), then you'll find neither IWB nor OWB carry will work because of the backpack's hipbelt.

I use one of these attached to the shoulder straps of my backpack: Osprey Grab Bag Accessory Pocket at REI.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
hiking carry rigs

I just made this for the very purpose of hiking and fishing, this can be worn IWB or OWB by switching the clips. When my pack is on I carry in (see condor link) attached to my belt this way i can put my hand in the bag on the firearm with out anyone knowing and if needed I can shoot though the bag.

3-fold Mag Recovery Pouch

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/d6006d4a.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/b3843150.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/hike2fish/03d33c57.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
Those are ideas I was looking for.

Yeah, light backpacking with my Hennessy Hammock :D and you are right about the waist strap interfering....I was thinking about putting it on the waste strap but that presents another problem in that it can easily be separated from me and now is in the open. The PPS fits in that Osprey pack!? how many mags do you bring?

Hike2Fish - I actually have that dump pouch from when I served and never though about using it that way. I'm going to see if the MTAC fits in it fine, and if it does I might have a winner. The pouch drops the PPS below the waist strap and keeps it conceal, nice!

But it does seem that there isn't really anything specifically made for this purpose on the market. Thanks again all, anymore ideas welcomed!

·
Registered
114 Posts
dump pouch

Those are ideas I was looking for.

Yeah, light backpacking with my Hennessy Hammock :D and you are right about the waist strap interfering....I was thinking about putting it on the waste strap but that presents another problem in that it can easily be separated from me and now is in the open. The PPS fits in that Osprey pack!? how many mags do you bring?

Hike2Fish - I actually have that dump pouch from when I served and never though about using it that way. I'm going to see if the MTAC fits in it fine, and if it does I might have a winner. The pouch drops the PPS below the waist strap and keeps it conceal, nice!

But it does seem that there isn't really anything specifically made for this purpose on the market. Thanks again all, anymore ideas welcomed!
Hammock's rock I use a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater... doing 42 miles next weekend!

Pouch setup works nice while the pack is on, I carry 2 spare mags in the pouch as well this way I can dump the pack and move and the pouch is attached to my hip... not my pack, but like u said it sits lower than the hip belt.

I have made an insert for the pouch that works with my kydex holster, i like the setup and the fact that i can place my hand in the pouch if approached by questionable people... with my hand on the firearm but they cant see what's in the bag, i can shoot one round by just easing the firearm up to uncover the trigger and if needed a first shot though the bag would buy me time to clear the bag tap and rack and follow up if needed! If you need a kydex on kydex holster IWB/OWB made just let me know :) I would do the holster and dump pouch insert for u, would take about a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The PPS fits in that Osprey pack!? how many mags do you bring?
The PPS easily fits in the Osprey pack along with a spare mag. You could bring several spares, if you wanted. In fact, an 8 shot .357 Magnum Smith and Wesson 327PC with a 2" barrel and a moonclip reload will also fit in there.

Here is the Osprey pack attached to my Granite Gear Vapor Trail backpack:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for the idea 47D! After a ridiculous amount of searching, I think I found the ticket. A Kifaru Koala Lite will let me keep a firearm and ammo in a front pouch with quick access. It has a couple mounting options and I'm sure I'll be able to rig it to quick (dis)connect to my pack straps. I could even use it standalone or as a sling bag. Expensive, but it has me hooked.

https://kifaru.net/koala_lite.html

The PPS easily fits in the Osprey pack along with a spare mag. You could bring several spares, if you wanted. In fact, an 8 shot .357 Magnum Smith and Wesson 327PC with a 2" barrel and a moonclip reload will also fit in there.

Here is the Osprey pack attached to my Granite Gear Vapor Trail backpack:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the idea 47D! After a ridiculous amount of searching, I think I found the ticket. A Kifaru Koala Lite will let me keep a firearm and ammo in a front pouch with quick access. It has a couple mounting options and I'm sure I'll be able to rig it to quick (dis)connect to my pack straps. I could even use it standalone or as a sling bag. Expensive, but it has me hooked.

https://kifaru.net/koala_lite.html
It looks good. Let us know how it works out.

41 - 60 of 322 Posts