Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my issue today. The PPS shares the cover with M&P.45. Article is pp 62-66.

The author (Patrick Sweeney) was extremely impressed with the thinness.

His description of the trigger pull was different than I would have given mine. "On the PPS the trigger feel is simple: You take up the slack (which is the cocking part of things), and then you press through the clean, crisp pull that feels a whole lot like a 1911 trigger. ... The out-of-the-box trigger on this PPS is better than some custom guns I've shot. ...someone has finally made a factory striker-fired pistol with a really good trigger on it." That's good news to me! Why haven't I shot it this week?

The import mark on page 63 looks nasty. (like a fuzzy burr on the edges of the letters) My First Edition isn't.

They don't give much accuracy data, but do say that 4 inch groups at 25 yards were easy with several ammo brands. More good news.

They do give a table of velocity data comparing it to his "fastest 9mm barrel", a 4 3/4 inch Novak Hi-Power. Loss of 46 to 87 fps for the 124gr bullets.

Overall, a very positive piece. I like how he praised several of the details we've liked about the P99 for years.

I haven't decided whether I'll post it or not. If others feel like it, I won't complain.

Don

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Quote: "I haven't decided whether I'll post it or not. If others feel like it, I won't complain."

Fellas, the magazine IS copyrighted. M

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just hope on one sends me a copy of that article at: [email protected]! ;)

My Seecamp is paid for, time to start saving for another Walther!

JP:D

·
Registered
821 Posts
I pulled a "library" at Kroger this morning and read the article. Good stuff! Makes me want one even more.

I did read a little bit about the trigger. The author said that he LOVED the trigger (felt lighter than it really was), and hoped that the "production" models would be just as good.

Those that have their First Edition PPS, what do you think about the trigger?

-stunks

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I don't think much of reviews in Gun Mags, read them for 30 years and never read a critical review of ANYTHING!!

I am sure the Walther is a fine gun. I have more faith in Walther engineers than Gun Magazines!!!

Nowdays I just look at the pictures!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't think much of reviews in Gun Mags, read them for 30 years and never read a critical review of ANYTHING!!
I think thats worth quoting. I've never felt like nodding when reading them. Sometimes even gun they get is flawless, othertimes something like the AS P99 is too complicated....

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Well I got the issue too.....
I think it was well done and is about spot on to what I thought when shooting the PPS in Germany.
The trigger was great and I loved how it handeled. Yes with the 6 round mag you have to put your pinky on the bottom of the base plate... just as it is with the P99c without the mag extension. I expected the PPS to recoil much more than it did. The only thing that I don't care for much is how "cheap" the mag release feels. Even though, as you can see on some pictures, the mag release is one piece it feels too light and like it could break anytime.

Now I think there will be a total of 2000 "First editions"
1000 for te US and 1000 for te rest of te world.

*edit sorry I got a letter not working on my keyboard

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I did some digging through my PPS info and yes there will be 2000 PPS
the IWA2007 flyer stated that the first edition starts at serial range AA0001.
The PPS I shot while in Germany was AA0052.
So I think the regular black PPS starts with serial range AB0001, which also would make sense when looking at the first pic I got from Walther way back when we first started talking about the PPS (AB0004) coming out and the one used in Guns and Ammo has serial AB0005.

Here is the link to the first PPS flyer
http://www.iwa.info/main/link-dy877...db.cmspage=evpbrcyi&module=exhibitordatabase2

and some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some digging through my PPS info and yes there will be 2000 PPS
the IWA2007 flyer stated that the first edition starts at serial range AA0001.

My PPS has a serial number "PPS000", where the last two zeros are other numbers. That would fit if 1000 First Editions are planned.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
That is correct for the american market.....
the european market has the other 1000

·
Registered
256 Posts
Found a copy of the September Guns & Ammo at the news stand today. Enjoyed reading the article, worth getting that issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts