Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the PPS for ankle carry? I know a few people that carry the Glock 26 on their ankle and the PPS seems much thinner and was wondering if anybody here has considered carrying their PPS on the ankle?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I tried it out for an afternoon with mine. Holster wasn't made for the PPS, but I wanted to see how it worked. Very light, very low profile. Inside a pair of jeans, above tennis shoes, it was very well hidden. The gun is very light compared to my Walther PPK!

·
Registered
529 Posts
More power to you guys who can use this type of holster. I didn't even like this carry mode with an original 22lr TPH and a Null ankle holster. Just not for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
More power to you guys who can use this type of holster. I didn't even like this carry mode with an original 22lr TPH and a Null ankle holster. Just not for me.
I always wondered the benefit of such carry. How the heck do you pull, if you are confronted while standing up (which is most common position to be in while shopping, walking to the car, pumping gas, walking down the sidewalk, etc.)? Do you "stop, drop and roll" coming up with gun a-blazin'? For some situations like sitting in the car, it is better, I grant that. Or as a last chance, on your knees before the perp puts one in the back of your skull... But for everyday carry, there are far better ways of packing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I always wondered the benefit of such carry. How the heck do you pull, if you are confronted while standing up (which is most common position to be in while shopping, walking to the car, pumping gas, walking down the sidewalk, etc.)? Do you "stop, drop and roll" coming up with gun a-blazin'? For some situations like sitting in the car, it is better, I grant that. Or as a last chance, on your knees before the perp puts one in the back of your skull... But for everyday carry, there are far better ways of packing.
I've always considered ankle carry to be used for BUG. The only reason I see for ankle carry would be as a third BUG. I would prefer the first BUG to be in a pocket.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ankle carry is not for a fast draw. If you're walking down a street and you're confronted by a bad guy with a gun in your face, the ankle rig won't do you any good. Even a bad guy with a knife has the advantage over your access to an ankle gun.

But a bad guy with a gun in your face has the advantage over any other kind of holster rig too. Unless you're as fast as Bob Munden. The Fobus outside waistband paddle holster provides me with the fastest draw without a coat or shirt covering it (concealed). I'm fast too. But I dunno if I'm that fast. I'd have to tell the bad guy that I am getting my wallet in my back pocket, when I'm actually going for my gun. I guess we can all talk about what we'd do, but drawing and firing on a guy who has already drawn and is pointing may not always be the best idea. Of course there are many variables to the situation which none of us can guess without being in it.

I was at an event where I could not wear a jacket. I could not conceal my gun any other way except for an ankle holster. This is what it's good for.

While an ankle rig is terrible for a face to face, immediate confrontation, it is excellent for having a gun on you when no other carry choice is available.

Let's say it's 85 degrees outside. You must attend a function in the city at an outdoor patio restaurant. The dress code precludes a jacket to cover your hip holster. It's not likely that, in a crowd of 20 people, you're going to have a face to face encounter. But, we used to always think of having a gun just to protect ourselves.

Let's say you hear gunshots from next door. Any type of forwarning like this allows you to retrieve your ankle gun.

That's it's purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's say it's 85 degrees outside. You must attend a function in the city at an outdoor patio restaurant. The dress code precludes a jacket to cover your hip holster. It's not likely that, in a crowd of 20 people, you're going to have a face to face encounter. But, we used to always think of having a gun just to protect ourselves.

Let's say you hear gunshots from next door. Any type of forwarning like this allows you to retrieve your ankle gun.

That's it's purpose.

Its exactly for this reason that i carry it. I definitely plan on carrying a seecamp or the new Ruger LCP as a pocket gun. But as a physician most of the times i am in scrubs in my office. I just need to have something on my ankle that if hear something upfront or something similar that at least i can reach and have a gun ready. I have IWB for my kahr pm9, but the bottom line is that if someone unexpectedly pointed a gun to my hear or my chest, i am not trying to provoke him by trying to be john wayne. Now if i sense that i am screwed anyways, then who knows.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ankle Holster

I ankle carried daily for several years a pistol larger and heavier than the PPS. I tried just about every ankle holster I saw for sale by the major holster manufacturers, found the absolute best for comfort and security is the Bianchi Triad, highly recommend it as the best for that mode of carry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the ankle is one of the main ways I plan to carry my PPS. Since the majority of my work day is spent sitting infront of a computer, ankle carry makes sense for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I operate a bar where I assume (and in a few cases KNOW) that many of the patrons carry concealed. It is "against company policy" for me to carry, but I say damn the policy. I refuse to be the only unarmed guy in the room. This necessitates deep concealment, and leads me to believe I may have to explore ankle carry as soon as I get a compact.

At first, I hid my weapon in a strategically placed Crown Royal bag. Very ghetto, but it did the job. Currently I keep a Hatch concealment briefcase (available at US Cavalry) w/ P99 handy for emergencies, but my reasoning behind wanting to switch is as follows:
1- If my briefcase is two feet away I consider that too far.
2- Given my uniform, ankle carry provides the deepest possible concealment.
3- I've thought the physics through, and believe I can achieve a very fast draw with training. Lifting my ankle to my hand isn't much slower than clearing my shirt and reaching to my strong side or mid back.
4- If a stupid drunk spots a weapon on my side, he could easily attempt to take it from behind. Trying to take a gun from my ankle would prove to be dumb, as I would be in a great position to stomp their guts out....lol

My training plan is to emphasize a quick knee snap upward, solid grip acquisition, and simultaneous stomp down while pulling the gun onto target. I believe I'll also practice incorporating a knee strike to the groin for good measure.

Given my choice, I would carry strong side 24/7, but given my circumstances ankle carry is a good compromise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts