Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
several months ago i had asked my local gun shop to notify me when they got a standard(black) PPS in, well they got one in today and they are holding it for me in the back so no one molests it. they said they want $569 for it, what is the going $ for the standard(black) PPS's? has anyone seen the going $ at gun shows?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Impact is selling it for $530 or $540

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i put in lay-a-way, would have brought it home but getting new Harley in a week and a half, wanna put as much $ down as possible right now. doubt i will leave it in there long. looked it over and dry-fired it twice and then i saw the target and it sold me.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
congrats.... I think you got it at a fair price....
FWIW... the costof the PPS is just under $500.... so your dealer isn't making all that much money...

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

I've got several dealers on the lookout for me a black PPS and I expect to wind up paying (after 7% sales tax) around $600.00 more or less before it's all settled..

If one of my dealers calls and says he has a new black PPS for $569.00 I'll buy it.

I don't think you got hosed. (And hey, you've got YOURS.. The rest of us are still looking). :D

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i normally buy guns at gun shows but i had store credit there for $173 and just use it to put the PPS in lay-a-way. dont know how much longer i can hold out going and getting it out though

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

I've got several dealers on the lookout for me a black PPS and I expect to wind up paying (after 7% sales tax) around $600.00 more or less before it's all settled..

If one of my dealers calls and says he has a new black PPS for $569.00 I'll buy it.

I don't think you got hosed. (And hey, you've got YOURS.. The rest of us are still looking). :D

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

Well, $569.00 is looking better all the time.

My dealer called me today and said he had one PPS in and did I want it at $595.00 (+tax).. I'm not into "instant gratification", but I knew if I didn't buy it someone else would before sundown, so I bought the sucker and I will try and get out and shoot it in a day or two.

I can see already I prefer the feel of the PPS with the 7 round magazine.

Good news is that my FIST Kydex iwb holster I have for my Walther P99c/AS (and P99/AS) is a perfect fit for the new PPS..

Gotta love Walthers!:D

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats PX, I eagerly await your range report and concealability report. Please let us know if it'd be pocketable in something like "Dockers."

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congrats PX, I eagerly await your range report and concealability report. Please let us know if it'd be pocketable in something like "Dockers."
Thanks.

BytorJr:

I've got to wait until the temperature rises above freezing before I can do any shooting, but I'll be out there as soon as it warms up a few degrees.

My initial thoughts on the PPS regarding cc is that for me (I'm a runt, 5'9"/155lbs) the PPS is simply not going to be a "pocketable" cc firearm choice. I think a larger person might be able to cc it in a pocket, but I never will be able to.

I will cc the PPS in a FIST Kydex IWB holster that I had custom made for my P99AS & P99c/AS. The PPS fits the holster perfectly, and I can see already that if it shoots nearly as well as my all time favorite P99c/AS it will become my cc larger caliber pistol of choice. My P99c/AS is simply the most accurate pistol I've ever owned, or ever fired... Amazingly accurate.. I just hope the PPS will offer the same, or close to the same, accuracy.

My all time, anyplace, cc pistol is a Seecamp LWS32. (I have an LWS380 on order). Nothing conceals as well as the diminutive Seecamp and I cc it in a rear wallet holster. :D

I'll be back after I run a few rounds thru the PPS... I DO like the slimness of the PPS vs the P99c/AS. It's definitely easier to cc iwb.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

P.S. Here's a photo of my P99c/AS & LWS32... Hopefully before long I can take another picture with the PPS & LWS32 as my cc duo. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
BytorJr:

Okay, I went out to the firing range (my back yard) and ran roughly 4 magazines (7rd'ers) of cheap Wally World White Box ammo thru the PPS from 7 yards..

I only shoot from seven yards (or less, generally less) because I'm an old fart (65), my hands and vision aren't what I like to remember they were several decades ago. This PPS is, for me, strictly a cc self defense pistol and would only be fired in self defense at very close range.. Probably more like 3 yards, max..

I was well pleased with the accuracy of the PPS. I DO NOT like the trigger as much (by far) as I do the smooth DA/SA triggers on my P99's, but I can live with the little safety lever (whatever) in the center of the trigger. It just doesn't feel right when I've been using the P99/AS's so long, but I expect the more I shoot it the happier I will be, but right now that's my perception.

I AM happy enough tho that I will immediately start carrying the PPS over the P99c/AS because it is simply much easier to carry concealed because of how slim it is, and additionally the pistol "feels" better in the small of my back..

It's a brief test, but after 28 or so rounds I am definitely more than pleased with the accuracy of the PPS.. I think the more I shoot it the more accurate I will become because I know the pistol has accuracy capabilities I simply cannot take advantage of.

I do not like the mag. release as well as I do the larger, independent ones on the P99's, but I am already familiar with the type and function and so that's not a problem. Truthfully any self defense I have to do in a crisis don't involve a mag change anyway. My mag change is the LWS32 in my back pocket.

I am more than pleased with the ease of cc regarding both comfort and ease of concealability.

Function right out of the box was great.

I prefer the 7 rd. magazine which allows for a good grip that the 6rd'er, even tho slightly more concealable does not.. I would be surprised if many folks unless they have very small hands would prefer the 6rd mag.

All in all I'm well pleased with my new Walther PPS. I think I probably paid $50 too much for it, but I'm still happy with the deal. (Hey, I got a free t-shirt).

Very nice weapon, and once I can accustom my trigger finger to the Glocklike trigger I think I'll be happier still...

I'm happy I bought the PPS, and just from my brief experience I would recommend it to anyone.

The picture below is the results of the very first magazine fired thru the PPS. (7 yards standing, two hands, freezing :D )

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great review, Mr. Pomeroy. Thanks very much.

Personally, I have yet to find a pistol I'm comfortable carrying in my pants pocket. Even the oft-touted J-frame makes it feel like I'm walking around with a balled-up fist in my pocket, flops around (even in a holster), and makes me feel very conspicuous. And I'm 5' 11", 170lbs, and really consider myself more of a "revolver guy". I generally carry IWB, and will do so with a PPS when I finally get one.

As for the price; after doing this "gun thing" for a couple of decades I've given up on worrying about $40-50 ($75?) difference on the price of a gun. I know I'm going to use up that amount in ammo within the first month anyway, so why get worked up over paying the absolute bottom dollar for the gun itself? Besides, my local dealer has finally woken up and is not trying to charge $100 higher than going Internet prices... Maybe I got lucky?

-- Sam

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's a beautiful picture of your Walther trio. I hope to take a similar one soon.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yosemite Sam As for the price; after doing this "gun thing" for a couple of decades I've given up on worrying about $40-50 ($75?) difference on the price of a gun. I know I'm going to use up that amount in ammo within the first month anyway said:
Sam, I'm with you on buying or not buying a firearm I want because I think it's priced a bit too high.. I'm smart enough to know that the rarer a desirable firearm is worth the more 99% of dealers are going to expect to make more profit on it... If I hadn't bought my PPS there were others waiting on a PPS like myself that would have snatched it up in a second and laughed at me for passing it up... After shooting the PPS earlier today my buyer's "remorse" over having paid a bit too much has already gone.. :D

I love my Walthers, all of them. But I find I can carry my LWS32 concealed 99.9% of the time. If you want a real "pocket" pistol check out the www.seecamp.forum and consider a Seecamp LWS32. A new LWS32 will set you back around $425 but is worth every penny.

Obviously I will be cc my PPS when I can, but even then I will have my LWS32 in my back pocket.. When my LWS380 comes in (next September) if I like it better it will replace the LWS32 for daily cc..

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
158 Posts
BytorJr:

I prefer the 7 rd. magazine which allows for a good grip that the 6rd'er, even tho slightly more concealable does not.. I would be surprised if many folks unless they have very small hands would prefer the 6rd mag.

Did it come with the 8 round magazine too? I thought I had heard a long time ago that only the First Edition came with all three mags. That was before the normal black ones came out, so would like to hear what they are actually doing.

thanks,
Don

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did it come with the 8 round magazine too? I thought I had heard a long time ago that only the First Edition came with all three mags. That was before the normal black ones came out, so would like to hear what they are actually doing.
thanks,
Don

Don,

The black PPS comes with only two mags.. You can buy the 8rd'er retail if you wanted one, but I just don't see the need. The FE DOES come with all three.

JP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts