Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...

What is the general consensus? Will the PPS first edition will be a collector's item or will it always be a mass produced, albeit nicely manufactured, plastic pistol? If you buy one, would you consider sitting on it, keeping it nice and new in the box or would you shoot it every chance you got?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just curious...

What is the general consensus? Will the PPS first edition will be a collector's item or will it always be a mass produced, albeit nicely manufactured, plastic pistol? If you buy one, would you consider sitting on it, keeping it nice and new in the box or would you shoot it every chance you got?
Me, I would shoot it every chance I got. I'm not going to live long enough for it to be double in value to make it worth the expense.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Both

For myself, I see it as both. I initially purchased the First Edition PPS to shoot and have been taking it to the range often. I justified the slightly higher expense of the First Edition PPS over what the standard model will sell for by considering that it comes with the three different size mags and nice case, really cared more about the mags than the case.

While I do not consider myself a collector, have very few pistols, every once in a while I see and shoot something I like and want to keep one in new or like new condition just to have. And again, not to develop into a collector, I generally sell or trade one pistol in when I do that. Have decided I think enough of the PPS to want to purchase another First Edition PPS either new or like new to keep and not have to worry about the amount of holster wear and scuffs it picks up at the range, and not with the intent / hope of it appreciating and making money on it, but rather just to have because I consider it something nice / worhtwhile. I do not spend any money on booze or cigarettes, so feel it okay to justify a small indulgence like that, not sure if that makes sense to everyone, but seems to work for me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Whether or not you think of it as a collector or shooter, in my mind, is not the real question. It is if Walther released it to be a collector or shooter? Walther is a manufacturing company that makes their money in sales not collector value. So collector value does not necessarily increase current sales although it may further future sales. Here is my take on the issue?and it is only my surmising. Walther did well with the P99. But the P22 and G22 were far from being a big success. Walther has had this idea of the PPS in the works for some time. They even had a proto-type, all black too, in the works as was featured in their P99 dvd. Hence they have been planning this for some time. I think they released the 1st Edition model with just enough goodies to entice people to buy it based on the hope that people ?would? shoot it. I think Walther is not really concerned with how many 1st Editions sell, as compared to how many are shot and what bugs or defects can be found. In my thinking the first edition is just the trial run in order to work out all the kinks before they release their really ?market? version. I don?t think they want to go through the hassle that they had with the P22/G22. They want a good seller that will take the US, CCW market by storm. So I wouldn?t hold my breath thinking that the ?black? version will be released on time?..

Shoot it or not to shoot it, that is your choice. But I don?t think that is what Walther intended. They needed a good test market gun so as to prepare the way for their main line production piece. IMHO

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't fall for "manufactured collectibles". Here's a good rule of thumb- if someone issues a "collector's edition" or even a "first edition", chances are it's never going to amount to anything more than what the market will bear on the standard version of the item (sometimes, they're worth less in the long run).
The truly valuable items are the ones introduced to the market with no fanfare and without anyone telling you that it's a collectible.
That's like some film maker claiming to be working on a "cult movie". It doesn't work like that.
The collectibility of items and the cult status of films are things that are determined by the consumer.
Speculation on the future collectibilty/desirability of any object is just that- speculation. If you can stand the look of the PPS First Edition, then buy it and shoot it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts