Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is more of a rant more than anything, but way back in the middle of March I was going to unload my PPS before going into the gun show. The gun has about 500 rounds through it and it's the .40. I went to draw the gun out of the holster and pieces of the gun scattered on the ground, and by pieces I mean the extractor and a spring and I think a detent. Awesome... This is my everyday carry gun that I rely my life on! I was so unbelievably pissed at that moment. Has this ever happened to anyone??

I call up Walther customer service on Monday, and tell them exactly what happened. They tell me to send it back and e-mail me a basic form with a FA#. I have to call them up again to find out what they need. Do I ship it with mags? With the original case? Will I get my case back? Do they need the parts that fell out? They respond oh yeah if you have the parts send them because we won't get more parts till the end of April! Otherwise it will be a 72 hour turn around time.
I call them up before I head to FedEx a couple hours later, because I realized they never sent me a shipping label. I ask them isn't there supposed to be a shipping label you can send me, Smith and Wesson always gave me one? Oh yeah we can get you a shipping label. I ask them why wasn't one provided the last two times I was on the phone, and the guy responded, "Uh I guess it slipped my mind.". What in the world?! Why do I have to ask for service? Why isn't it just provided?

So a little over two weeks goes by and I finally call them up to ask where the heck is my gun and they respond. "Um looks like the gunsmith just looked at it today and we are going to need parts that we are waiting to get from Germany. They won't be here till the end of April.". Even if they had the parts so much for a 72 hour turn around time, if it took them over two weeks to look at it!

I just called them again last week and asked them what the hold up was, and they said they were still waiting on parts, and it would be another 2-3 weeks! So frustrated! The whole thing just disappoints me horrible communication, horrible organization. I think I'm going to sell the stupid thing once I get it back and I was thinking about getting a PPQ too. I'll probably end up getting an HK now. The gun literally falls apart on me then takes well over two months to fix?!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I'm very curious what would cause such a catastrophic failure of your gun and be unnoticeable before that. When was the last time you shot it? I just can't imagine a gun falling apart just from being drawn.

As for Walther's service, I guess this is uncharted water since we have all used S&W in the past. I hope that this is a case of them being new and inexperienced and that they will improve in time. I also suspect they are very busy given the state of everything in the gun industry.

I understand the frustration, I have had similar experiences with other manufacturers in the past. This is a great justification for having a backup carry gun. Not necessarily the same gun, but something else that you have ensured reliability with and have a holster and mags for. Then you at least have a carry gun and have the flexibility to let Walther keep the gun for a long time if it comes to that.

If you don't have such a gun yet, I'd recommend looking into what you might want to replace the PPS if you do get rid of it. You had mentioned H&K, the P2000sk is dimensionally very similar except for width. Get that, carry it, but when the PPS comes back, maybe throw it in the safe for a month or two to let yourself cool down. The PPS is a great gun, and the chances of something like this going wrong twice seem slim. Coming from someone who sold a PPS once, and found himself missing it terribly, I'd urge you to give it another chance.

Out of curiosity, what date code was the gun?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Was the extractor broken? Or the part of the slide that holds the detent in?

It sounds like it was installed incorrectly if the detent just fell out like that. The tension from the holster holding it in place.

For warrantee repairs, just send in the empty pistol and the pieces of the extractor. They don't need mags or the original case. Make sure to put a note in with the gun as communication between CS and gunsmiths can be limited (at least it was with S&W).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ScotchMan:
I want to say I shot the gun sometime during the winter maybe January or February. You're absolutely right about a backup gun. When I got the PPS its all I could afford, but never thought about. I have the money now I can afford it. I found a Sig P6 I really like it's cheap and a lot of gun for the money, just kind of stumbled upon it. Just a little bulky compared to the PPS of course, but it will do for the time being.

The P2000SK sounds great. I have also been eyeballing the P30 as a PPQ alternative. Oh but the thinness of the PPS. You're right it is a great little gun and I shoot it so accurately. That's why I'm torn to get rid of the thing. Maybe I'll switch to a Kahr for the thinness. I've always wondered about those and they're not super popular they seem like good enough guns to me.

As far as the date code I have no idea. I had pics of it on my old cell phone which is now dead, and never paid any attention to the date code.

British Agent:
As far as I know the extractor wasn't broken. and I did not find any broken parts. (not to say there wasn't any) the only thing I found on the ground was the extractor and a spring. I think the detent was still in the slide. The whole thing is kind of perplexing to me because I had it in and out of the holster so many times. Unloading, reloading going in and out of gun shows, and had about 500 rounds through it, and all of a sudden. Whoops!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I call up Walther customer service on Monday, and tell them exactly what happened. They tell me to send it back and e-mail me a basic form with a FA#.

I call them up before I head to FedEx a couple hours later, because I realized they never sent me a shipping label. I ask them isn't there supposed to be a shipping label you can send me, Smith and Wesson always gave me one? Oh yeah we can get you a shipping label. I ask them why wasn't one provided the last two times I was on the phone, and the guy responded, "Uh I guess it slipped my mind.". What in the world?! Why do I have to ask for service? Why isn't it just provided?!
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I just tried to send a part into Walther for them to take a look and was refused a return authorization and shipping label. Heck they did not even email me a form or anything. He did not even offer the address to ship it to or what department to notate.

The problem part is the 5 inch target barrel kit I purchased separate of my p22. One of the retaining screws on the compensator failed. The shoulder of the hole the retaining screw seats on cracked and came off of the compensator. I had my own gunsmith take a look and confirm it was a casting flaw, thereby a defective unit. And he told me to request the RA and they should cover a replacement.

I told the CS rep Derek this all and was promptly told they don't do authorized returns on things like that. But that I could pay for shipping myself and their gunsmith could take a look. Wtf...

Another rep told me a few days back the compensator is $35 with shipping for a new compensator and screw set. That they don't do warrenty work on those... that's why I had the gunsmith take a look in the first place.

Is this normal? I figured if there was any chance that the part was defective they would email you the label and if it was deemed that the customer was a fault and not the part, then we would settle up the shipping when the customer pays for repairs?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting the "oh its just some chick on the phone" and they are trying to hose me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So update on my situation just got my beloved PPS 3 weeks ago! Finally! Went out to the range to see if I still wanted to get rid of it and it shot beautifully.... until about 50 rounds in when it started having problems extracting. I started only extracting about 30% after I had about 100 rounds through it. Then after that the slide lock started engaging after every shot. It engaged and then the slide release was extremely hard to release to get the slide to go forward. I was using Winchester white box 165grn FMJ's. Has anyone had this problem before. I just got off the phone with Walther customer service and I'm sending it in again. I probably won't see it again for another 3 months again... so lame :/
Anyways I decided I'm done with Walther absolutely over them. I'm buying something else in the mean time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/12176-pps-reliability-4.html

Grab a bottle of scotch and peruse this thread. You are not the first and you definitely will not be the last to get screwed by the extractor of a PPS.
My .40 Shield has been everything the turd like PPS was meant to be.
And I can testify (google the origin of this word) the SA XDS is also a fantastic slim weapon.
My opine is cut your losses, peddle the poopy pistol and get yourself a dependable weapon.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I remember that thread. 14 pages of folks loudly singing PPS praises, somewhere in there are like a total of three guys with actual gun issues.

That was even before the 2011 update/"bug fix".

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Internet has a magnifying effect on reports of issues. The people who's guns work well sometimes post positive reviews, but the ones that don't work well BLOW UP every forum they can find. So it seems like whatever brand you're researching has a lot of problems when its really just because that's what is reported. You also have to assume some sampling error considering the fact that only the people posting online are included in the sample; how many people never use a gun forum and have good, working guns? It seems probable that the presence of an issue might be what gets an otherwise non-user to sign up for a forum, creating skewed results.

So, if you dig deep enough, ALL guns appear to be garbage on the Internet. They all have some huge issue you can read about for hours and hours. If they all suck, how do you decide what to buy?

Ultimately, gun parts are made to a specification, and those specs have ranges. It is prohibitively expensive to guarantee that every part will be exactly identical to another. There has to be a range of what is acceptable. When the right parts are on the right extremes of those ranges and make it into the same gun, you can have an issue. No one is immune to that. The tighter the specs, the more time-consuming and expensive it is to produce the gun; that cost is passed on to you. I can think of one other German brand that is very expensive but has a sharply lower number of reported issues; I would submit there is a correlation there.

I think that the majority of guns produced today are reliable. I would put odds of getting a bad one around 5-10%. I have owned 11 handguns (off the top of my head, might be +/-) and only had one with an issue, two issues actually. Doing research, those issues appear extremely common for that gun. But there are dozens of reports of no issues and it too being the best gun ever made. I've had two PPSes and never a single malfunction of any kind.

So it comes down to probability. I can't say I blame someone for swearing off a brand if they have repeated issues with it. I mostly did the same for the gun above that didn't work out for me. But in the end, any gun can have issues, so its just a crap shoot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The folks running the warranty department at SW / Walther will disagree with both of you.
The gun had a problem and this forum is chock full of examples. No, I won't paste links, look it up yourself if you can be impartial. The PPS is a great example of a poor product riding the reputation of a good company. If you like yours, swell, but don't try to change the facts just because you don't want to feel like a schmuck for owning one.

I remember that thread. 14 pages of folks loudly singing PPS praises, somewhere in there are like a total of three guys with actual gun issues.
Your memory is not very good. Go read it again. Heck, just look down the list of active topics in the PPS section and you will see several threads on PPS un-reliability at any given time.
PPS (precise pile of shat).

·
Registered
578 Posts
So update on my situation just got my beloved PPS 3 weeks ago...
What was the factory report? What work did they say they did? After 500 functional rounds, it sounds like a part failure (as opposed to a major component).

Other users are in operator error denial.

·
Registered
693 Posts
PP? said:
Your memory is not very good. Go read it again. Heck, just look down the list of active topics in the PPS section and you will see several threads on PPS un-reliability at any given time.
I read it again in it's entirety before I made my previous post. You and maybe two other's had issues that didn't end up being op-error. Heck I'm not even convinced yours wasn't op-error, it just sounds like you don't know how to re-install an extractor, but we'll give you the benefit on that. Every single other post was praise.

Every thread about reliability that you mention is a hundred people with no issues, and a few with 'operator error denial', and a lemon or two maybe...

The information available on this forum and many others simply doesn't back up your grossly exaggerated attempt at point.

I had a Mossberg that gave me nothing but problems, I sold it... I also accept however, that not all mossbergs are like that, and most are actually very reliable. The 500 my Dad had is pretty cool, for example.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The folks running the warranty department at SW / Walther will disagree with both of you.
The gun had a problem and this forum is chock full of examples. No, I won't paste links, look it up yourself if you can be impartial. The PPS is a great example of a poor product riding the reputation of a good company. If you like yours, swell, but don't try to change the facts just because you don't want to feel like a schmuck for owning one.

Chocked full of examples? What is the failure rate of these guns exactly? Your data comes from people *****ing on the net? You might have a reason to ***** because YOUR PPS is a lemon but mine has 2600+ rounds without a failure. Who knows, maybe it's the shooter in your case, a schmuck who can't shoot a compact gun. You won't luck it up because you would fail in your attemp to prove a grossly exaggerated point. My guess is the majority of PPS owners have no issues, know how to shoot it based on the low number of complaints both on this site and others. Seems you are in the minority so good luck with your issues :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
^Honestly I don't think that was necessary.

He had a lemon - twice back to back from what I've read - which if it happened to anyone, they too would be discouraged. Same with OP, if extractor fell out from just unholstering the gun, I'd be pissed too.

While I don't agree with slandering, I do feel for him and the OP in this case. Everything man made has chance for failure "lemon" and they were unfortunate to be the recipients of such lemon. Stats on here as well as other forum shows that PPS runs and functions well, but you can't discount someone having a lemon, for one reason or another.

I think it'd be best for everyone to just leave it at that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So update on my situation just got my beloved PPS 3 weeks ago! Finally! Went out to the range to see if I still wanted to get rid of it and it shot beautifully.... until about 50 rounds in when it started having problems extracting. I started only extracting about 30% after I had about 100 rounds through it. Then after that the slide lock started engaging after every shot. It engaged and then the slide release was extremely hard to release to get the slide to go forward. I was using Winchester white box 165grn FMJ's. Has anyone had this problem before. I just got off the phone with Walther customer service and I'm sending it in again. I probably won't see it again for another 3 months again... so lame :/
Anyways I decided I'm done with Walther absolutely over them. I'm buying something else in the mean time.
Sorry to hear of your troubles and given your experience with the PPS I don't blame you for looking at another platform. Its unfortunate for sure because many of us have very reliable Walthers and I don't believe your experience is typical. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/12176-pps-reliability-4.html

Grab a bottle of scotch and peruse this thread. You are not the first and you definitely will not be the last to get screwed by the extractor of a PPS.
My .40 Shield has been everything the turd like PPS was meant to be.
And I can testify (google the origin of this word) the SA XDS is also a fantastic slim weapon.
My opine is cut your losses, peddle the poopy pistol and get yourself a dependable weapon.

PP? long time no see! Glad your Shield has worked out for you. My PPS has continued to be reliable since you last disparaged the PPS a year or so ago, although I must admit with the ammo shortage I haven't been shooting it as often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts