Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a gun shop today looking for another gun model but they told me they would have to order it. When I went with the guy to call about pricing he and I started looking through his distributor catalog to find the model I was looking for ... we stumbled upon the Walther page and I asked him to wait a second so I could see. In his book they listed both the PPS 9mm and .40 cal for a cost of $489. I inquired a little more and he told me that was his dealer cost and he could get one for $550 cash. He called but of course none in stock.

I thought I would just post this as having seen with my own eyes what the dealer cost of this gun is and hopefully people will come to their senses and stop paying $700 for this gun.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
203 Posts
good to know. i believe i paid about $550 out the door for mine. unfortunately the price of a black pps is dictated more my supply than demand as there are people willing to pay more to be able to get one. if you can find one in the low 5s, that's a great deal today. i agree $699 is a bit much but there aren't enough pps pistols to go around in the $500 price range. also wasn't there an msrp price hike in jan '08 (which is probably after your catalogue went to print)?

if a 40cal went on the market today, i bet it would fetch $800+. lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
if a 40cal went on the market today, i bet it would fetch $800+. lol
:( :( :(

Thats the sad part. I'll just have to play the patient game when it comes to the PPS 40cal. I remember it taking me forever to get my P99 because all of the local gun shops wanted to rip me off. It wasn't until I went to the local gun show that I was able to get a fair price for it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Went to a gun shop today looking for another gun model but they told me they would have to order it. When I went with the guy to call about pricing he and I started looking through his distributor catalog to find the model I was looking for ... we stumbled upon the Walther page and I asked him to wait a second so I could see. In his book they listed both the PPS 9mm and .40 cal for a cost of $489. I inquired a little more and he told me that was his dealer cost and he could get one for $550 cash. He called but of course none in stock.

I thought I would just post this as having seen with my own eyes what the dealer cost of this gun is and hopefully people will come to their senses and stop paying $700 for this gun.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks for posting this ispeed. This is exactly WHY I won't buy a PPS via Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etal. My dealer origianally told us the PPS would cost us $485.00 He told this to a close friend who then told me. When I was at the dealer's place recently we looked at a distributor's list and it showed the PPS at $489.00 dealer's cost. I think he might have told my friend what his cost would be, not the retail price. Another dealer, who is a close friend did some research and told me he'd charge me $540.00 for a PPS when they became available.
This is why I will continue to wait. The dealers selling them for +$600. are free to charge whatever they can get for one but I am also free to decline their exorbitant prices. Although most of the members know I am frustrated with the slow distribution of these pistols, I'm not going to just piss money away and buy one at a lousy price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is also a good example of why it is really important to find a good local dealer who is honest and you can get to know personally - regardless of whether you are looking for a PPS or another handgun. They may not always be able to get the newer guns in stock as fast, but when they do come in, they won't rip you on it.

The guy I deal with in my neck of the woods is great. When I ask him to order something, he pulls out his "big book," looks at it, bobs his head while trying to calculate something, and then just says "I'll sell it to you for such and such" which is almost always $40-$50 over dealer cost regardless of what it is (unless it is like a P22 in which case it is less). He's even shown me the dealer price on a couple of items on occasion without me asking.

If he DID get a PPS in stock, he would consider it's rarity worth more in terms of its ability to secure customer loyalty then its ability to be sold for $200 over dealer cost. (ie, if my dealer can get me a PPS at a good price, I sure as heck am going to come back for other stuff).

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Guys, let's stop all the nonsense. The 2008 price to dealers who have an open account with a major nationwide distributor is $505.98, plus shipping by UPS Next Day Air Saver. That includes 2% discount that is not earned for payment by credit card.

Do the math. If a dealer is make any money to keep his doors open, he's got to make a profit on top of that. The result will be your rock-bottom price. If you insist on instant gratification, it will be considerably more.

M

·
Registered
529 Posts
Guys, let's stop all the nonsense. The 2008 price to dealers who have an open account with a major nationwide distributor is $505.98, plus shipping by UPS Next Day Air Saver. That includes 2% discount that is not earned for payment by credit card.

Do the math. If a dealer is make any money to keep his doors open, he's got to make a profit on top of that. The result will be your rock-bottom price. If you insist on instant gratification, it will be considerably more.

M
Mike, I saw the advertised dealer price in print, in front of my face. Two dealers I know well and trust then tell me the gun will cost me about $540 if the gun costs them $485.00-$489.00. They are making about 12%. Neither have very high overhead, either.
According to you if the gun is $506.00(not a big difference between your quote and them) and if the dealer charges 30% it comes out to about $650.00, which is still a bit lower than the prices we are seeing on a lot of these pistols. Only one PPS I've seen in weeks was under $600.00 and somebody posted a link for the auction this website.

Another dealer, from CT. from whom I recently bought a very nice old Centennial told me his accountant said he needs to charge 20% mark up on any gun he sells to stay in business.

I don't understand your figures. If you agree at all with my math I think you might agree that making 30% gross profit on a retail item is excessive and greedy, no matter what the business is. I certainly do.

At any rate, I may be frustrated at the lack of PPSs on the market now, but as I've said in a few posts recenly, I will just have to keep waiting because I have no intention of getting screwed by a greedy dealer.
Mu local guys are very fair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When did this stop being the good ol' US of A where capitalism ran rampant? If the guy needs to tack on $100 bucks, or $50, or $500 bucks to stay in business, it is right to do just that. If your dealer is charging more than you want to pay, then just go buy it from somebody else.

Supply and demand, baby! I love it!!! :)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Mike, I saw the advertised dealer price in print, in front of my face. Two dealers I know well and trust then tell me the gun will cost me about $540 if the gun costs them $485.00-$489.00. They are making about 12%. Neither have very high overhead, either.
According to you if the gun is $506.00(not a big difference between your quote and them) and if the dealer charges 30% it comes out to about $650.00, which is still a bit lower than the prices we are seeing on a lot of these pistols. Only one PPS I've seen in weeks was under $600.00 and somebody posted a link for the auction this website.

Another dealer, from CT. from whom I recently bought a very nice old Centennial told me his accountant said he needs to charge 20% mark up on any gun he sells to stay in business.

I don't understand your figures. If you agree at all with my math I think you might agree that making 30% gross profit on a retail item is excessive and greedy, no matter what the business is. I certainly do.

At any rate, I may be frustrated at the lack of PPSs on the market now, but as I've said in a few posts recenly, I will just have to keep waiting because I have no intention of getting screwed by a greedy dealer.
Mu local guys are very fair.
Malysh: I don't know how old your figures are, but I doubt if your dealers could actually obtain a PPS today for $489-- and so far, they haven't.

Walther's 2008 MSRP is $665. Walther does not sell dealer direct, but markets its guns through wholesale distributors who sell to the dealers. One leading nationwide distributor is quoting, as of the SHOT Show two weeks ago, a dealer price of $505.98 plus shipping. I have their price list in front of me as I write this.

M

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mike
I checked with my two dealers. Late 2007 dealers price was $489.00 Their current early 2008 price is $500.00 to a small dealership. So we are splitting hairs between an $11 or $15 price increase to the dealers.

Nothing we buy is going to get cheaper, that's for sure!

Regards,
Malysh(also Mike)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dealer Cost/Reliability

As stated by a prior poster, the dealer can charge whatever they want for a PPS...its just a matter of how high the demand is and what the supply is. Also, my search time is worth money too, so I figure that into what the final cost is also. I am very interested in a PPS, but I have noted with disappointment that there are a number of issues that still need to be worked out with this firearm before I am ready to buy at any price. Thats why I waited for the kinks to be worked out on prior models like the P99 and P22.

Among Walther owners this new model is like a new Ferrari model to car owners- everyone wants one in their garage but they don't want to pay sticker price!

Walthers are not found in large quantities at shops or gunshows like other models, so you can either pay a premium to get what you want when you want it or wait patiently for that great sale 6 months down the road...maybe saving $50?

Good luck and thanks to all the PPS pioneers out there who are figuring out the flaws for Walther/S&W today so I can get one that is 100% reliable out of the box tomorrow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts