Walther Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why are these things (PPS') so scarce? Not finding them locally and none of my normal online sources have one and very few on GB (and most of them are .40 and I want 9mm).

Have had a PPQ for a while and love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
picked up a new PPS today cleaned and took to the range seems like a fine gun and an awesome ccw. Even though im in ma my dealer had the S connector. In fact the trigger is what sold me on this as compared to the crappy MA shield trigger

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll be joining the PPS club here in the next week or so, and I would like to confirm what I've read through this thread before purchasing this as my first firearm.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

When I go to the shop, pull the slide back and lock it.
The slide's locking mechanism should look like:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/Sinnerboy61/Walther PPS/DSCN1236.jpg

Feild strip the weapon and look for what is called the "trigger spring" tab.
It should have the letter S on it, and not H. To view this, pull the trigger while the firearm is tore down?
It would look like this: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachments/pps/1993d1331391142-pps-checklist-before-buying-imageuploadedbytapatalk1331391141.321332.jpg

Check the date of manufacture by looking at the double letters on the slide between the crest and the antler.
Get something as recent as possible with the above mentioned criteria. using this code below, BD would mean the weapon was made in 2013
A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I = 8
K = 9

That is all my understanding of purchasing one of these, what seem to be great, pistols. Confirmation of my understanding from some of you more tenured folks would be great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes, those are the main points, you may also check to see which magazines are included, and if it has night sights or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, those are the main points, you may also check to see which magazines are included, and if it has night sights or not.
Thanks, Olympic. Night sights aren't really a deal breaker for me, but they would be a nice extra. Birthday and Xmas are the same day so I'm trying to convince my brother to pick an extra mag up for me >:-]. Swinging by my first gun show Sunday, and hoping for some good loot!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I finally saw a PPS and got to handle it at a gun store out of town. It's much larger than I thought it was even though it is slim as noted by the S. It felt okay in my hand and the trigger felt good. I'm sure it's a fine gun and shoots well based on what I read about it. I'm just not looking for another subcompact at the moment, maybe down the line. But that of course depends on how my Shield continues to perform over time. So far it's been solid.

Happy shooting! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
just joined the PPS family, I ordered a PPS from Grabagun, and just saw it yesterday at my FFL. Too bad CA has the 1 gun in 30 days rule, so I won't get to DROS it till 9/26, I decided to DROS the HK VP9 first yesterday. I currently ccw/edc my PPQ M2 9mm.

Anyways, so here it is, date code BE (2014)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a PPS 40 cal and will probably purchase a PPS in 9mm. Also, before purchasing I'm in the process of trying various ccw pistol models such as : nano, xd 3.3, and LC9s. Compared to any of these 3 it is my belief that the PPS construction is far better than these 3 models. The PPS just feels solid and it shoots just as straight as you can hold it. I like my PPS 40 and have around 1500 to 2000 practice rounds fired. I broke the nano chassis after just 85 rounds (fail to eject and loading sequence bent the internal chassis) and the range returned to B. XD just didn't feel as solid either and practice rounds were low and left of target. LC9s felt good, but I just saw a video where the slide wouldn't fully close due to an improperly aligned guide rod. After trying these 3 other models I must say Walther PPS is the most accurate and has safety features that I trust as well. Seems to me the PPS is one of the best with your neck on the line.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LC9s felt good, but I just saw a video where the slide wouldn't fully close due to an improperly aligned guide rod.
In fairness to Ruger, they spotted the alignment problem of the RSA early on, made the fix, and are sending new RSAs to all who got early models. They merely put a conical head on the front of the guide rod and now it aligns perfectly.

Still in fairness mode, the PPS has had issues as well which were quickly addressed. Can happen to anything manufactured; it's if and how promptly its handled that's important.

I don't own the LC9s... I do own the PPS!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought mine yesterday, love it!! I have a BE, put 150 down right off the bat. Started to shoot left and low. Made some breathing adjustments and it was dead on after that. Great trigger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the checklist on springs and date codes still need to be checked as of 10/16/15? I was going to buy a PPS and didnt know there might be issues. Can someone please update the checklist if there is any to check on buying a PPS at this time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any PPS you purchase now should be stamped, BE (2014) and come with 1 7rd and 1 8rd mag. Walther seemed to make a large quantity in 2014. See the photo posted by Ruddog, a few posts above for current package contents. The trigger pull weight will be dependent on what state you are buying in. No need to disassemble the gun, the pull weight difference is obvious and the identifying sticker on the container is marked CA or MA if it is not an S trigger.

I prefer to buy from "Davidson's Gallery of Guns" unless I can get a better price OTC from my favorite gun shop. Davidson's stock is current in both 9 mm and 40 S&W. Check and see what shops in your area post a price on Davidson's. I just bought a PPS last month for $389, including transfer fee + Tax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got mine today, used (who knows if it ever went back for repair or not).
Date code BA (2010) with AF (06, June?) serial.
Came with one each 7 & 8 rnd mags.
It has the S trigger stamp and the fixed slide lock tab.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does the checklist on springs and date codes still need to be checked as of 10/16/15? I was going to buy a PPS and didnt know there might be issues. Can someone please update the checklist if there is any to check on buying a PPS at this time?
Can someone answer this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope there are no issues. I just bought PPS from Buds and it will be here next week. I would think all is good on any upgrades by this date of purchase 12-11-15. Surely inventory isn't going to be that old?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The nicest marked years IMHO were BC and BD. They were marked Walther Arms instead of Smith & Wesson and they still had the really cool eagle over N proof instead of CIP over N that the BE's and later have.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts