Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older PPS - 9mm. I've only run about 1200 rds through it. Previous owner said he put about 500 through it. Don't know how much original owner shot it.
With slide off - upside down with barrel - no recoil spring - barrel pressed down in 'locked' position barrel has back-forward play in it - hard to measure but would guess at least .10 - .15 thou play. Does any one know how much play is allowed ( if any ) ? I checked several other of my guns and and all have very little play. ( one-a xd9sc with 4k through it has zero play).
Thanks in advance for any help.
KSB

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an older PPS - 9mm. I've only run about 1200 rds through it. Previous owner said he put about 500 through it. Don't know how much original owner shot it.
With slide off - upside down with barrel - no recoil spring - barrel pressed down in 'locked' position barrel has back-forward play in it - hard to measure but would guess at least .10 - .15 thou play. Does any one know how much play is allowed ( if any ) ? I checked several other of my guns and and all have very little play. ( one-a xd9sc with 4k through it has zero play).
Thanks in advance for any help.
KSB
Hey KSB, sorry to hear about your trouble! I do believe play in the barrel is normal. When cycling the barrel has to be able to tilt. If there was no wiggle room, something would break/crack. That being said, I had to send my NEW M2 is in Florida getting "looked at" because there were gouges on the lower feed ramp. The quality of Walther's have really dropped and their customer service is almost non-existent. I'll take a look at mine before I sell it to confirm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Take a look at the lock up lip / step, one on the front top of barrel chamber area (square area) the other inside the slide, just infront of ejection throat,
that corresponds with the lock up lip. Also take a look at the upper rear of the barrel chamber. The two post L&R of chamber loaded indicator opening.
IF the lock lip on barrel or slide is worn down, chipped, cracked, that should be of concern. the two post in rear are for headspace and help stop the
slide at lock up if the lip is worn. Are the 2 rear post hammering the slide.
With a barrel that doesn't lock up good I would say the grouping from a rest is suffering. Hotter loads = faster wear . . . its the nature of the beast.
Take a few "good" pix and post here where someone with trained eye can take a look. Or visit a "local gun smith" (ask for the man) as not everyone
working the counter will be able to recognize the degree of severity. . . . . . . . good luck ! also send pix to Walther ! can't hurt !
My PPS m2 only has 500 thru it, no hot loads and no +P, it is still very tight.(y) . . . . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply.
Scouts 10 - lock up step on barrel, post/lugs at rear of barrel, breach face are all sharp - no signs of peening or damage.
Slide had a slight amount of peening/ridge where front of barrel locks up. Stoned it down smooth.
Other than excessive play ( to me ) all seems ok.
Thanks again.
KSB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts