Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got me a black PPS yesterday. Havn't even shot it yet. I have lots of 124 grain ammo around as well as 115 grain left over from the Rhorbaugh days. Can I use either ammo just to use it up or not. The Personal Protections I have are Golddots and the ball ammo is Blazers.

Which is better? Thanks

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My PPS works just fine with 115gr ball (CCI Blazer Brass/Aluminum) and with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.

No issues at all.

James

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll shoot 115gr WWB from Wally World for practice. For SD loads, I've been referred to this list and am confident using anything from it:

9 mm
Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

Source: Recommended Pistol Caliber Loads

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good List. For practice I also favor the 115 gr Winchester White Boxes of 100 from Walmart, excellent ammo. While I like to support local shops, this stuff is just too good and at too good a price not to take advantage of.

For defensive carry ammo, suggest the Corbon 115 gr Plus P or the Corbon Power Ball ammo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just sold it is all, I had no problems with it. It was just like a little thousand dollar bill laying in the safe and I sold it to buy other stuff. I kind of wish I had not sold it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The best of the best right now is
DPX
Spear Gold Dot
Hydro Shock

They are some of the most modern rounds

Ranger has some limited drawbacks compared to the new stuff.
If you don't mind I'll quote doctor roberts from the above link
" Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 10 or 15 years ago. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's."

Perhaps you have your rangers confused with hydrashocks?

·
Registered
158 Posts
My PPS works just fine with 115gr ball (CCI Blazer Brass/Aluminum) and with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.

No issues at all.

James

I also use CCI aluminum as range ammo and it works great. My P99s really like Gold Dot 124+P, but unfortunately my PPS doesn't like the Gold Dot. I'm currently testing the PPS with Black Hills with good luck and will report after I put more through it.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts