Walther Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agree

Just don't do what the prior owner did. DO NOT LOAD A ROUND DIRECTLY INTO THE CHAMBER!!!! The extractor IS NOT DESIGNED for the extractor to slip OVER a cartridge rim. If you download a PPS manual from Walther, it states NOT to insert a round into the chamber & close the slide. Many nimrods do not know that almost ALL autoloaders are designed to be loaded from an inserted magazine ONLY. There are a few exceptions like a Baretta 92 & several others. I was taught on a 1911 NEVER to load an auto except from a mag. It's a good practice to load only from a mag on any autoloader to be on the safe side.
I agree completely! I spread the word whenever I can. I learned this the hard way. I hope to help educate people to never load one round at a time into the chamber of a semi-auto pistol. It doesn't matter what brand it is. It should become a habit that even one round left in the box at the range HAS to be fed through the magazine. Ignorance can cause equipment failure. And the need to go read all the manuals of all the weapons you own!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This gun is a piece of crap. I had the same feed issues and returned it to Walther (Smith & Wesson). They replaced the recoil guide rod assembly and the ejector. It returned a week later and did not misfire through about 100 rounds then the striker would not hit hit the primer hard enough to fire (FTF). When I broke it down I found out that the striker guide (which is plastic) had broken in half. I had put about 400 rounds through the damn thing to this point. If the striker cannot last more than a few hundred rounds this is a pretty sorry piece of workmanship. I ordered a new striker assembly from Walther (Smith & Wesson in the US) and paid for 2 day delivery. Five days later I am still waiting for it. I think I will just replace the striker and head to a gun show to swap it for a Glock or other quality pistol. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Couple of things I want to mention to you...

1) What is the date code of this firearm?
2) Understand all firearms are not perfect, let alone an entire line (PPS, 1911's, Glocks, etc.) of firearm...
3) Your experience is NOT typical of this firearm
4) You could just have a bad gun....it happens.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This gun is a piece of crap. I had the same feed issues and returned it to Walther (Smith & Wesson). They replaced the recoil guide rod assembly and the ejector. It returned a week later and did not misfire through about 100 rounds then the striker would not hit hit the primer hard enough to fire (FTF). When I broke it down I found out that the striker guide (which is plastic) had broken in half. I had put about 400 rounds through the damn thing to this point. If the striker cannot last more than a few hundred rounds this is a pretty sorry piece of workmanship. I ordered a new striker assembly from Walther (Smith & Wesson in the US) and paid for 2 day delivery. Five days later I am still waiting for it. I think I will just replace the striker and head to a gun show to swap it for a Glock or other quality pistol. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!!
Sorry you are having trouble.
If you really are selling it, I am in DFW area and we could do a face to face sale with no shipping or other costs. PM me with a price if you are interested and please consider me first in line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Couple of things I want to mention to you...

1) What is the date code of this firearm?
2) Understand all firearms are not perfect, let alone an entire line (PPS, 1911's, Glocks, etc.) of firearm...
3) Your experience is NOT typical of this firearm
4) You could just have a bad gun....it happens.

I am not sure what you mean by the date code. The composite frame has a code which appears to be 3/09/10 E. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Extractor Issue

I have a Walther PPS in .40 cal and had a similar issue to some of the photos here on the 9. I'll be sending back to S&W to get it repaired however it is now about a year old and I'm wondering what the repairs will run me.. Hopefully the photo came over ok, had a bit of trouble with the sizing..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Unless I miss my guess here, your repair will be handled free of charge, just as it should be handled free of charge. S&W is always pretty good about repairing the Walthers, even the ones than extend beyond the warranty. The company also is picking up the shipping -- yes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My PPS9 just went back to S&W for an extractor issue. It's about 2 years old and they did tell me I would have to pay for repairs but not shipping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called them up and they sent me a call tag for it. A few days later the call tag arrived and I sent it in. About two weeks after that I got it back. They didn't ask me to pay anything on it and it is about 14 months old. Now to bring it to the range to give it some use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My PPS9 just went back to S&W for an extractor issue. It's about 2 years old and they did tell me I would have to pay for repairs but not shipping.
Mine was manufactured in 2001 according to the "AB" S/N. Mine was 10 years old and they never charged me.

How much will they charge you? It is worth it to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just order the parts from Walther & put them myself. I won't pay for a repair. On the other hand, I have a dozen gunsmiths to back me up. But I never seem to need them!! All these broken parts are just that. They make these guns so simple that anyone can fix themselves. I guess folks can't do maintenance on things anymore. In the dark ages , right after the car was popular, we used to have to "tune them up" every 10K to 12K miles if you expected to go anywhere with reliability. You were forced to spend a ton of money or learned how to do mechanical work yourself. As a kid in High School, no one had money to blow, so we learned- Fast!! Guns are still made from parts. If you can get the part, put it in the gun. It only goes in one way. Figure it out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine was manufactured in 2001 according to the "AB" S/N. Mine was 10 years old and they never charged me.
You don't have a 2001 production PPS, they weren't made till 2007 at their earliest. You're looking at the serial number not the production year code. The characters you are looking for are a two letter code, standing by itself (Not the 'DE', that is for country of origin). It is either AH, AI, AK, BA or BB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my pps back from S&W. The Extractor flew off after approx. 2000 rds. I have to say S&W had the best customer service I have ever experienced. They were fast, polite and efficient. They sent me the shipping label and paid for postage and insurance. My pistol was not under warranty and they replaced the spring and extractor for free. They told me it would take 4-6 weeks to fix the gun, I got the gun back in the mail in a little over a week. Kudos to their gunsmiths.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why would an extrator fall off?

The extractor on my 9mm PPS fell off after around 600 rounds fired.

Walther fixed it, but gave no reason for why it happened. Anybody have any ideas? I have not shot any +P ammo in this gun.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts