Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a fairly new PPS owner. I got a PPS 9 from a gun show. I got it used and did some barter on the gun. It is a nice piece of hardware but I am now experiencing some issues with the gun.
The gun is having issues with ejecting the used shells. This is a really big issue for me since this is my carry gun or at least it was until I started having these issues. In the meantime I have brought the XDm out of the drawer and am currently carrying it until the PPS is fixed. After some research, it appears that the issue is with the extractor hook. I have taken some detailed pictures and compared them to another PPS that has low usage.
I have the following questions:
1) Based on the pics, what is your thought on the ejection issue? Extractor or other issue? (Updated 9/30/2011. I sent it to S&W and they replaced the extractor and the slide spring. Upon receipt of the firearm from service I immediately fired 300 rounds at the indoor range and did not experience one issue)
2) This gun has a lot of rounds through it. How long will the spring last? Should I consider replacing? (Updated 9/30/2011. See update above. Spring was out of tolerance and was replaced; however, I believe that the main culprit was the worn extractor)
3) Is it recommended to send to S&W for repair work or use local gun smith? (Updated 9/30/2011. I decided to go with S&W as I did not know a local gun smith and I was hoping that S&W would warranty the repairs.)
4) I bought this used but is it possible that it would be a warranty item? If not how much would I expect to pay for repairs? (Updated 9/30/2011. S&W did not charge me for the repairs. I am not the first owner)
5) My understanding is that I do not need to use local FFL to mail the gun to S&W for repairs. Any concerns with this? (Updated 9/30/2011. Fill out the form on S&W website http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_761651_-1_757814_757812_image and they will email you a prepaid FedEx shipping form. They also pay insurance. You don’t need a FFL if you are the owner and are shipping to the manufacture for repairs.

Thanks in advance!
Will

·
Registered
146 Posts
While I can't answer all of your questions I may be able to give you some answers to some of them.

2- I have put over 3,000 rounds through my PPS and it still works great. Have more rounds been put through then that? When you have the gun looked at you may want to have the person inspect the spring to be on the safe side.

3 If you know a good local gunsmith that may be the way to go since you can talk to them in person. But you would want to be sure that they are familiar with Walthers if not just send it to S&W.

4 Your best bet would be to call S&W explain that you got the gun at a gunshow and see what they say.

My personal opionion is anyone should becareful about buying at a gunshow b/c if you end up with a gun that is a dud you don't have a store or person to go back to. When ammo was scarce a few years back I got some at a gunshow and it turned out to be crap. It was in a namebrand box but was most likely reloaded. When I took my CCW class the instructor told us other stories about gun show guns not having firing pins and things along those lines. Good luck getting your PPS fixed.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I don't see anything about either slide to raise any red flags. The 10% slide does look like it needs a good scrub.

Clean the pistol - or have it cleaned, buy several boxes of different ammo and try it again. If it still has issues, send it off to S&W.

The PPS is much thinner and more powerful than most pocket pistols. Make sure you are gripping it solidly and consistantly, a slight changes in grip style could affect function so that you have a 10% feeding issue. It may help to purchase a "limbsaver" grip that will aid in getting a consistant hold on the pistol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the gun from a local dealer at the gun show not an individual. The gun was used. I am unsure how many rounds have been fired in its life. I could take it to them and have them take a look but it’s a good 40 minute drive. Guess it is a good excuse to take an afternoon off and ride my old chopper.

The other slide in the pics is my roommate’s gun. He also bought his used but from what he was told less than 200 rounds were fired from his. Mine has visibly (significantly) more wear than his especially on the ejection clip. On mine the end is really rounded off and his still has a nice sharp edge.

I know that the gun in the pic is not the cleanest it has ever been but this was after some rounds at the range and did not thoroughly clean if for the pics. I too thought that it might be ammo related and I have already tried different brands with the same result. All my ammo is factory new principally because it is cheaper to buy new than buy reloads.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Excellent report with excellent photos. Thanks for doing that. Don't think I can help as I'm brand new to the PPS also but hopefully the more senior members will be by to offer ideas/suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent report with excellent photos. Thanks for doing that. Don't think I can help as I'm brand new to the PPS also but hopefully the more senior members will be by to offer ideas/suggestions.

Thanks. On some of them i used my magnifying glass in front on my camera lens. Actually worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PPS 9mm Extraction Issues

I could be wrong, but it appears to me from the first photo in your post that the extractor in the pistol that is giving you problems is missing a small portion of the extractor hook that pulls the fired round out of the pistol chamber. If I am correct about that, the extractor in your pistol may not have enough contact with the cartridge "rim" to pull the fired cartridge out of the chamber reliably.

I have two 9mm PPS pistols(If you find something that you like, buy at least two of them because they will quit making it.)that have over 1000 rounds through each of them with zero malfunctions.

Once you resolve the extraction issue with your PPS I strongly suspect it will become your favorite carry pistol as it is mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be wrong, but it appears to me from the first photo in your post that the extractor in the pistol that is giving you problems is missing a small portion of the extractor hook that pulls the fired round out of the pistol chamber. If I am correct about that, the extractor in your pistol may not have enough contact with the cartridge "rim" to pull the fired cartridge out of the chamber reliably.
That is my thought as well. I contacted S&W via website and they sent me the instructions and shipping lable to return the gun for repairs. Not sure if it is a warranty issue or just a wore out part. Either way I am sure that the gun is worth the money for the repairs. I do love how it performs and the size is excellent for carry.

I am sending the gun out tomorrow and it will take at least a week before I hear back from S&W. I will keep you posted with the resolution as I am sure that this may happen to someone else in the future.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Obviously, the problematic extractor looks to be considerably more worn. Don't know the round count differential, but my guess is that it would be substantial. I hope that MGMike will take at look and give us his opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time for an update. I received the gun back from service. They replaced the extractor clip and the slide spring. I took it to the range and put 300 rounds of new Winchester ammo through the gun. Fired all different speeds from slow to rapid. I did not have one jam, misfire, or any issue. Problem solved

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Just don't do what the prior owner did. DO NOT LOAD A ROUND DIRECTLY INTO THE CHAMBER!!!! The extractor IS NOT DESIGNED for the extractor to slip OVER a cartridge rim. If you download a PPS manual from Walther, it states NOT to insert a round into the chamber & close the slide. Many nimrods do not know that almost ALL autoloaders are designed to be loaded from an inserted magazine ONLY. There are a few exceptions like a Baretta 92 & several others. I was taught on a 1911 NEVER to load an auto except from a mag. It's a good practice to load only from a mag on any autoloader to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just don't do what the prior owner did. DO NOT LOAD A ROUND DIRECTLY INTO THE CHAMBER!!!! The extractor IS NOT DESIGNED for the extractor to slip OVER a cartridge rim. If you download a PPS manual from Walther, it states NOT to insert a round into the chamber & close the slide. Many nimrods do not know that almost ALL autoloaders are designed to be loaded from an inserted magazine ONLY. There are a few exceptions like a Baretta 92 & several others. I was taught on a 1911 NEVER to load an auto except from a mag. It's a good practice to load only from a mag on any autoloader to be on the safe side.
Good point. Go easy on our fellow Waltherians now. lol Live and learn.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Should we be referred to as Waltherians or Waltherites?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I've been spotty, at best, on the forums lately due to work and wish I'd seen this thread when it was fresh. This was the best FTE report I've read, as the pics and comparisons were unusually thorough. The first pic clearly showed the culprit -- extractor wear.

Might I suggest leaving those pics in place so that this thread will continue to provide a visual record of what extreme extractor wear looks like, since most might not know it when they see it? Also, ME's point is salient, as always.

Glad you have your firearm back!

Surreal

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Might I suggest leaving those pics in place so that this thread will continue to provide a visual record of what extreme extractor wear looks like, since most might not know it when they see it? Surreal
Done ... and an excellent suggestion, Surreal. Nice to see you join the living again, by the way.

Should we be referred to as Waltherians or Waltherites?
How about Waltherers?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, if it turns out that Waltherians is adopted, I claim full credit as the original inventor of the term. All royalities and proceeds will then divided fairly to all other Walther owner name proposers.

Regarding that worn extractor....were you shooting alot of steel cased ammo such as the Russian Wolf ammo?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was the best FTE report I've read, as the pics and comparisons were unusually thorough. The first pic clearly showed the culprit -- extractor wear.

Might I suggest leaving those pics in place so that this thread will continue to provide a visual record of what extreme extractor wear looks like, since most might not know it when they see it?

Surreal
Not too bad for a first post :) I am new to guns but not to the WWW.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts