Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PPQ M2 4" 9mm and I love it. I have about 1000 rounds through it since I got it in March.
I'm considering a single stack EDC. I bought my wife a Glock 43X and she loves it but I don't. Not my gun so...
I'm looking at the PPS as my smaller EDC. I have read the reviews but would like to get the opinions of users here.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
It is very good gun. My PPS M2 has served as my summer carry since 2016. I have nothing bad to say about it. It has been very reliable and I can shoot it pretty good for what it is. I normally start carrying it around Memorial Day and switch back to my P99c around Labor Day. So it's about that time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a PPS classic. It's a great pistol.

As others have mentioned, it's capacity is seriously lacking compared to other similarly sized options now on the market. Take a look at these links below.

Why would you go PPS over P365/Shield Plus/Ruger Max/Hellcat? Frankly, I can't think of many reasons why. I own a PPS also a P365. The PPS hasn't seen a single round through it since I got the SIG.

The other thing is that Walther almost certainly has to be cooking up a competitor to the above 4 pistols. It may be a redesigned PPS or perhaps an all new offering. I'd hate to pick up a PPS M2 and then find that it's going to be either discontinued or replaced by an M3.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm very fond of my PPS M2 LE. I replaced the mag internals with Mag Guts, so my magazines now hold 9, 8, and 7. I don't need the bulk that this latest batch of double stacked guns brings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As others have mentioned, it's capacity is seriously lacking compared to other similarly sized options now on the market. Take a look at these links below.

Why would you go PPS over P365/Shield Plus/Ruger Max/Hellcat? Frankly, I can't think of many reasons why. I own a PPS also a P365. The PPS hasn't seen a single round through it since I got the SIG.

The other thing is that Walther almost certainly has to be cooking up a competitor to the above 4 pistols. It may be a redesigned PPS or perhaps an all new offering. I'd hate to pick up a PPS M2 and then find that it's going to be either discontinued or replaced by an M3.

Awesome reply!! Thank you!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm very fond of my PPS M2 LE. I replaced the mag internals with Mag Guts, so my magazines now hold 9, 8, and 7. I don't need the bulk that this latest batch of double stacked guns brings.
What bulk are you talking about? The current crop of stack-and-a-half micro 9mms are about the same size or even smaller than the PPS. The P365 is literally smaller in every dimension and even weighs less.

The PPS is a legit gun. It was really one of the first 'micro' 9mms to hit the market. If we rewind to 2007 it was the King of The Hill. There really wasn't much competition at all. The Shield, G43, LC9 etc didn't even exist back then. IIRC the Kahr PM9 was out too, and was basically one of the only other options in the class. You'd either be looking at the PPS or a doublestacked G26 (baby glock)

Again, nothing wrong with the PPS but time hasn't been kind when comparing it's feature set against the current batch of competitors. I hope a high cap PPS is in the works.... then again how long have I been waiting for Walther to release a true micro 380 (the PPK and PK380 are too big to qualify).

·
Registered
263 Posts
The thing that turns me off from the PPS M2 is going to the handgunhero website where you can overlay the P99C with the M2 and you see how much longer the M2s grip is compared with the P99C. I owned a P99C and it was just right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a PPQ M2 4" 9mm and I love it. I have about 1000 rounds through it since I got it in March.
I'm considering a single stack EDC. I bought my wife a Glock 43X and she loves it but I don't. Not my gun so...
I'm looking at the PPS as my smaller EDC. I have read the reviews but would like to get the opinions of users here.
The PPS M2 LE was my first gun and still a favorite. The price on sale was a steal at $399, at BassPro of all places! It has been reliable and I personally like the way it feels although I will admit replacing the 6 and 7 round mags that came with it with additional 8 rounders. That little bit of extension makes it much more manageable and comfortable in my hands. I am currently awaiting on the PDP to become more available, but remain happy with the PPS at the range and as a EDC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recently shot the P365 and my PPS M2 at my local range to do a side-by-side comparison. I shot both pistols extremely well and had very good groupings for each (I dry fire practice daily). My problem with the 365 is that my thumb was resting on the slide lock and I didn't realize it right away. If I were to purchase it, I would have to retrain myself on the grip. The question for me would be is the cost worth the extra rounds and what about changing my grip? I have not decided yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My PPS M2 has a really smooth trigger and is a pleasure to shoot. The ergonomics are exceptional, and after market holsters are readily available. The pistol also has extended magazines which you can buy. IMHO it's a better pistol than the original or it's main competitors. :cool:

·
Registered
...waiting for a SF Q45 OR.
39 Posts
My PPS M2 LE is an awesome shooter and feels (and performs) much better than my Wife's P365 and my Dad's P365XL and Hellcat. But I have taken a strong liking to hammer fired pistols lately (Sig P938 & Kimber Micro 9), which has me ready to part ways with it. As my EDC, I didn't have a strong need for a micro/sub compact that held 10/11/12/+... rounds, as I relied on the PPS M2's better trigger for shot placement and overall handling. Only thing was that they never released an M3 for an optics plate. Good little shooter, nonetheless...

·
Registered
122 Posts

I find the P365 and 365XL grip much less comfortable than the PPS. Yes, they have a lot more capacity, but overall the ergos of the P365 series just don't work for me. This surprised me because I otherwise have pretty average hands and tend to agree with the average shooter on what is a comfortable, ergonomic pistol. I shoot the 365's OK, but find the trigger guard small, the grip kind of awkward, and the magazine release downright terrible (the mag release alone would be a dealbreaker for me). I'm apparently in the minority here, and its too bad, as I really wanted to like the Sig, but now I find myself hoping Walther does a higher-capacity version of the PPS like S&W has done with the Shield Plus, because the PPS (and Shield) dimensions work quite well for me. Another feature I appreciate on the PPS is the striker indicator that protrudes from the rear of the slide as the trigger is being pulled, which provides a tactile and visual indicator for reholstering. I suppose my point is that there are some reasons why some of us might still choose the PPS.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I have a PPS M1. It's a very good pistol, but it is very dated in today's market. It's overly large for it's limited capacity though it is nice and thin. I have directly compared it to the Sig P365, and in every way the Sig is the better pistol The 365 is smaller, holds more rounds, and shoots better than my PPS M1. If I were going to buy a new pistol in this class now, there is no Walther that would be in the running. I also own a P99c AS in 9mm, that is an excellent pistol, but is overly bulky for it's meager 10 round capacity, I never carry it, it's just a backup for my P99 full size in case it goes down for some reason, which means that my c just sits in the safe a lot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I find the P365 and 365XL grip much less comfortable than the PPS. Yes, they have a lot more capacity, but overall the ergos of the P365 series just don't work for me. This surprised me because I otherwise have pretty average hands and tend to agree with the average shooter on what is a comfortable, ergonomic pistol. I shoot the 365's OK, but find the trigger guard small, the grip kind of awkward, and the magazine release downright terrible (the mag release alone would be a dealbreaker for me). I'm apparently in the minority here, and its too bad, as I really wanted to like the Sig, but now I find myself hoping Walther does a higher-capacity version of the PPS like S&W has done with the Shield Plus, because the PPS (and Shield) dimensions work quite well for me. Another feature I appreciate on the PPS is the striker indicator that protrudes from the rear of the slide as the trigger is being pulled, which provides a tactile and visual indicator for reholstering. I suppose my point is that there are some reasons why some of us might still choose the PPS.
There we go! I knew someone would come along and remind me why you might pick out a PPS.

Good reasoning! Fit is everything. If it don't fit it don't work. That said, I'm really sad to hear that. Fortunately for me the P365 seems like it was molded to fit my hand exactly. All the controls are in just the right place and with the 10 rd pinky mag it fits just perfect.

It's a shame that it isn't double action or I'd carry it all the time... which brings me to

The thing that turns me off from the PPS M2 is going to the handgunhero website where you can overlay the P99C with the M2 and you see how much longer the M2s grip is compared with the P99C. I owned a P99C and it was just right.
This right here. I bought a PPS thinking it might replace my P99C as a carry piece. I brought it to the range and the PPS was certainly nice and relatively easy to shoot, no complaints! Unfortunately in the waist band comparing it to the P99C (perhaps the best pistol ever created after the 1911) the PPS just doesn't stack up. Cutting off 0.3 inches width in exchange for less capacity and a longer grip (IE: the hardest part of the pistol to conceal) never seemed like a very good trade off especially when you consider you lose the ability to run the pistol double action and get (arguably) a worse single action pull.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts