Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm looking at purchasing one of these - I have been trying to read anything I can as to how the PPS is actually holding up in the real world, now that they are out. I came across this review over at Glocktalk and have provided the link. The original poster likes the PPS but has to send it back to Walther for a minor repair after only firing 20 rounds. Hopefully this is a rare case, time will tell.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=735619

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good review...but I am going to guess that running hot +ps through it before a thorough breakin period may have had something to do with the spring failure. Not that I think it SHOULD have caused the failure but if I was a betting man, that is where I would place my money.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Good review...but I am going to guess that running hot +ps through it before a thorough breakin period may have had something to do with the spring failure. Not that I think it SHOULD have caused the failure but if I was a betting man, that is where I would place my money.
I agree with ya...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not sure...the only thing that throws a snag in this breakage is from what I have read the PPS was designed around the .40SW...one would think that it should be able to handle +p ammo just fine...but things change whenever you make modifications....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Doubtful that a few rounds of +p would cause the failure. Walthers are designed around NATO ammo which is at least 38,500 lb of pressure.

A few rounds of +p didn't cause your problem. Steady use of +P might accelerate wear but it will not cause a failure like your spring.

BTW 40 cal is lower pressure than 9mm

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
What I find interesting about this elpisode is that the shooter, after his first stoppage which required a screwdriver to pry loose the slide stop, didn't bother to STOP and investigate the cause. He blithely continued shooting, and the next shot REALLY jammed it up.

Good thing it wasn't something structural...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
he could have at least broken it in with a couple of boxes of 115 grain FMC before stuffing in the +P....makes you wonder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The other thing I noticed in his post was there was no mention of an initial cleaning before firing. He just went to the range on the way home ofter picking it up. I don't recall how my P99 was shipped regarding the level of lubrication and/or grease but I know that my HK required significant cleaning before use. It may have no bearing but it's just something else to enter into the equation.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
... BTW 40 cal is lower pressure than 9mm
As I understand it the SAAMI pressure for 9mm and .40cal are the same (35,000psi), although +P pressures are about 10% higher.

·
Registered
333 Posts
First of all nothing "really" broke on the weapon ......at least not reported by the owner. The slide lock "spring" popped out and wouldn't stay put ........... this AFTER the owner "pryed" on the gun with a screw driver. He probably bent up the works ..........instead of taking the gun home and trying to figure out why the Slide would not release. Who prys on their gun with a screw driver to make it work ?? ...........an owner that wants to send the gun back to the factory for repairs.

Second...........Yes starting with Corbon +p's is a terrible way to break-in the weapon. Remember this is a machine that has many mating parts and springs that have to take a set. Forcing the weapon to operate at its upper limits, before all the parts have a chance to mate to each other is a mistake in my mind. You are just asking for trouble .............

The Slide lock spring more than likely got over compressed and jammed ---
a close examination -- off the Range -- might have revealed a simple adjustment to this minor problem. I doubt the owner will report back that he Bent up the slide release when using the screw driver........and that was the major cause of this problem. Easier to blame the gun !:mad:

JF.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As I understand it the SAAMI pressure for 9mm and .40cal are the same (35,000psi), although +P pressures are about 10% higher.

9mm+p is 38,500. 40cal is 35,000. There is no +p 40cal. You are correct that in the standard load both are 35K. The +p version of 9mm is about the same as NATO loads there ball ammo and Walther builds their weapons to eat a steady diet of that.

Sorry for the confusion
Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Doubtful that a few rounds of +p would cause the failure. Walthers are designed around NATO ammo which is at least 38,500 lb of pressure.

A few rounds of +p didn't cause your problem. Steady use of +P might accelerate wear but it will not cause a failure like your spring.
This was my thought too. The manual even states +P ok, but will cause more wear, +P+ not ok.

Don

·
Registered
87 Posts
This was my thought too. The manual even states +P ok, but will cause more wear, +P+ not ok.

Don
+P+ has no SAAMI standard that's why no manufacturer can or will endorse it. None-the-less +P+ rounds like Winchester 127gr and Federal 115gr have been the gold standard of 9mm for a very long time. Originally restricted to LEO use because of the risk of using such high pressure rounds in an old 9mm they are quite safe in new pistols designed for +P stuff. Until DPX appeared in 9mm I carried either Win 127+P+ or the new Winchester Ranger 124gr +P in all of my 9mm's including plastic Kahrs like the PM9. I just changed recoil springs every 500 rounds.

In a pistol with a barrel as short as a PPS it will be important to get as close to 1200fps with the bullet as possible. That is the point where most hits in CM are able to cause a cessation of "fight" in a BG. Because of that 115gr DPX makes a great deal of sense in the PPS and a round like the 147g Winchester does not. Although the new 147g rounds work just fine in 4" barrel pistols especially the ones with polygonal rifling they just over penetrate without much expansion in short barreled weapons.
Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
hello,
wow. the amount of criticism in this thread is downright disappointing. that most of it comes from folks who have most likely never even seen one of these weapons yet is equally disappointing. the personal comments that label me as an ignorant bafoon with a screwdriver wrecklessly wrenching my gun is the biggest disappointment of all.

walther builds some of the best weapons available. my sw99s of today as well as my p99s of yesterday were about as close to perfect as a defensive handgun can be. with this in mind i purchased the PPS, knowing that a new and relatively unproven design was prone to growing pains.

for starters, a weapon is either rated for +P ammunition or it isnt. these weapons are not fine swiss watches with delicate parts. they are tools of combat. to quote another poster on this very same issue:

----------
from http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30123&page=3

What I want to know is, What do you think you are breaking in? The Barrel? Nope if that had to be "Broken In" with several hundred rounds you would find yourself with no accuracy after a couple thousand.

The chamber is designed to contain the pressure. It doesn't care what you put in it as long as it doesn't go over the max.

As long as you clean the weapon first and inspect it to make sure everything is properly de burred and polished you should be able to run whatever you want through it. If it's rated for +p there should be no problem shooting it from the beginning.

I do understand "Breaking In" a gun in the sense of "I want to run a few hundred rounds through it to make sure that it isn't broken and is going to function properly, and to print where the gun shoots.

Your springs are either rated for the ammo or not. Springs will wear over time. Running "HOT" ammo through them will wear them faster but thats normal.

This is my opinion as a machinist, metal worker, engineer
----------

there is absolutely no reason why a weapon rated for +P ammunition cannot shoot it reliably from day one. the weapon is designed for european police issue and will undoubtedly be issued with 9mm NATO (comparable to +P loads) from day one, as well as .40 s&w that is harder on a weapon than any caliber ive fired. as i understand it, the 9mm p99 shares the exact same recoil spring as the .40 p99 and id be willing to bet that the .40 PPS will also share the same recoil spring as the 9mm PPS. ive also already spoken with walther america who assures me that no damage can be done by running +P from day one, although it "accelerates wear" just as using +P in any weapon does. with that coming directly from walther customer service the issue should be settled.

concerning the screwdriver, i did not force anything and the first and last failures were the exact same. i dont know how one poster concluded that the damage occured after i inserted a mini jewelers screwdriver to release the slide lock. if the slide is locked back, you cannot field strip the weapon to inspect anything. i did not bend the slide stop, i did not damage the weapon in any way. it required a simple and light twist of the mini jewelers screwdriver to release the slide. the only thing being forced was the slide lock spring.

yes, the weapon was disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and lubed prior to shooting.

finally, consider the nature of the failure itself. the slide stop spring popped off. the slide stop spring serves one purpose, to hold the slide stop down. during the normal cycling of the weapon neither the slide stop nor the slide stop spring are disturbed at all until the final round. there is absolutely no reason for the spring to jump off the slide stop during normal shooting no matter what ammunition youre using.

as happy as i am in general with my walthers and as much as some of you may love your walthers, this failure was 100% the fault of the weapon. failures are common in new designs and although it really isnt a terrible failure, if it had happened in a gun fight id be dead. perhaps you could consider that ive exposed a potential weakness that could save future PPS owners from suffering the same failure, quite possibly at the worst time imaginable.

id be happy to answer any specific questions, and i will indeed update when i have my weapon back from walther. only trouble is i was told that the weapon is in fact so new that they dont even have parts for them yet in this country. it could be awhile. in the meantime i will be waiting anxiously for the return of my PPS. if it ultimately proves as reliable as my other walthers have it will be the perfect choice for deep cover carry.

....does anybody make a holster for it yet?

·
Registered
254 Posts
there is absolutely no reason why a weapon rated for +P ammunition cannot shoot it reliably from day one. the weapon is designed for european police issue and will undoubtedly be issued with 9mm NATO (comparable to +P loads) from day one, as well as .40 s&w that is harder on a weapon than any caliber ive fired.
I agree. I don't believe it is necessary to baby a pistol with standard velocity ammo for a "break-in period". Makes no sense to me.
I also am perpetually puzzled why people urge you to "clean" a pistol before shooting it for the first time. Make sure the pistol is properly lubed and that the bore is free from obstructions, then take it to the range and shoot it with whatever ammo it was designed to tolerate.

Your issue with the slide stop spring may be a fluke. If not, I can think of much worse bugs possible for a new pistol.
I always hang back and let others gamble with their money on a new gun, but I've got a good feeling about this little pistol, and I've got one on order.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
as happy as i am in general with my walthers and as much as some of you may love your walthers, this failure was 100% the fault of the weapon. failures are common in new designs and although it really isnt a terrible failure, if it had happened in a gun fight id be dead.

Well I can only speak for myself so I will. I have enjoyed you first report, as well as, this response. But your above statement just about wraps it up for me. I thoroughly enjoy the Walthers that I own. But I must confess that on more than one occasion have become a bit peeved over the attention some pistols receive rather than the due I think the P99 deserves. Glocks are great pistols. I just think Walther took the concept design and made it better. But for whatever reasons the P99 just has not been a huge marketing success. So as far as I am concerned I believe the PPS could really go a long way to put Walther back into the CCW game and score big in a untapped market, such as for a slim, single stack pistol. If some here seem a little critical, I don’t think it was meant to be a personal attack. I have been on this board for a while and this is one of the most civil, gentlemanly group of individuals that I have met. But as you said, some of us here really love our Walthers. And as it has been said “love can be blind.” That being the case I would rather have believed that the PPS breakage was a human error…it is always easier to blame someone or something else rather than what might be the real cause. Personally I share high hopes for the PPS. But I admittedly I just don’t want to be confronted with the fact that it may be an actual systems failure, especially so early into the release of the pistol. Early design flaws/failures have a way of scuttling a product before it ever comes afloat… But all good things can be better and even good things are not perfect. So yes, thanks for helping to uncover something that may really have had the potential to be a fatal failure. And you have just verified the fact that every self-defense pistol needs an adequate break-in period to reveal any potential problems.

As per holsters the only thing I can think of right now would be a good Yaqi slide....

·
Registered
256 Posts
MontanaBighorn,

Thank you for the follow up post. And by the way, I too was a little disappointed at the critical nature of some of the comments posted.

In any event, thank you very much for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
MontanaBighorn,

Thank you for the follow up post. And by the way, I too was a little disappointed at the critical nature of some of the comments posted.

In any event, thank you very much for keeping us updated.
I agree. I thought Montana's review was informative, honest, and well done. Walther mania should not preclude honest discourse on Walther products.

Montana: Please keep us informed. I for one am interested in your reviews of Walther products - both good and bad.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts