Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been informed that the PPQsc uses the same recoil spring as the PPS and PPSm2, but that the P99c uses a heavier spring, can anyone confirm this? If it’s true, what would the reasoning behind that be? The felt recoil on the PPQsc, from my testing, is noticeably more than the PPS, after this research I would assume that’s because of the extra weight and mass of the slide while using the same spring. Does anyone have both a P99c and a PPQsc to compare recoil assemblies? Any information on this subject would be extremely helpful.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
All I can confirm is this. From the 'exploded view' parts list, the PPS M1, PPS M2 and PPQ SC use the same rsa part number. The P99C uses a different part number. Whats different? Beats the chit out of me.

PPS M1 – 2686881
PPS M2 – 2686881
PPQ SC – 2686881
P99C – 2688697

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have both the PPS M2 and P99c. I don't know that I would say recoil is "heavier" on the p99c, but it does seem to have a little more muzzle flip. I will check and see if the RSAs interchange when I get home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I was also wondering if the 99c experienced similar “felt recoil” or “muzzle flip”. If I keep this SC I’m gonna have to play around with some recoil dampening assemblies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks! I was also wondering if the 99c experienced similar “felt recoil” or “muzzle flip”. If I keep this SC I’m gonna have to play around with some recoil dampening assemblies.
Keep in mind the PPQ SC cycles faster and needs the stronger spring to cycle properly. I go to the range every week and shoot 300 rounds. I was a little put off my the recoil but I now have close to 5000 rounds through it and hardly notice it any more. You can’t really make a good judgment until the gun is broken in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I checked on Wolff's website and didn't see anything that would work in the PPQ in 45 acp. I'd like to shoot lighter target loads and want to "tune" the spring. Zev makes a setup that allows you to use Glock Gen3 springs in Gen4 pistols. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind the PPQ SC cycles faster and needs the stronger spring to cycle properly. I go to the range every week and shoot 300 rounds. I was a little put off my the recoil but I now have close to 5000 rounds through it and hardly notice it any more. You can’t really make a good judgment until the gun is broken in.
I put a little over 2,300 rounds through the SC over the course of about 4 months. I really wanted to love this pistol since I kept missing out on decent priced P99c’s. I understand that it cycles faster than the PPQ, but are we sure that isn’t because they used the lighter PPS RSA instead of putting the R&D into producing one specifically for the SC? Like, “people want a chopped down PPQ, and we have all these PPS RSA’s available, let’s modify a PPQ slide to make it light enough for a PPS RSA.” I get it, it’s a cheaper alternative that, and at least for the most part, it worked. According to the post above, the P99c’s RSA is heavier/stiffer than the PPS, still waiting for the results of his experiment.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are willing to spend a few bucks and enjoy the PPQ SC at the range, buy a set of SpeedSights. They are amazingly easy to get use to with great results. I personally don’t really mind the perceived recoil, and find a great companion to my SIG M11-A1 for daily carry. Though I have added a rubber sleeve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are willing to spend a few bucks and enjoy the PPQ SC at the range, buy a set of SpeedSights. They are amazingly easy to get use to with great results. I personally don’t really mind the perceived recoil, and find a great companion to my SIG M11-A1 for daily carry. Though I have added a rubber sleeve.
I concur that SpeedSights are great - have them on my PPQ M2.
I've been waiting for them to come out with a model to fit the PPQ SC/ PPS M2, but so far, there's nothing available for those models on their web site. My latest email inquiries have gone unanswered, although the last word I got several months ago, was that they were "being developed".
I'd really appreciate knowing how/where did you got these sights for the PPQ SC..? TIA!

As for recoil, I added a RSA with a metal guide rod to add some weight. It seemed to help, as did using the larger 15 rd mags. But I never thought the recoil/flip was ever worse than my PPS M2 - felt about the same using the smaller mags in each. I like to carry the PPS with the 7 or 8 rd mags, and the PPQ SC with the 10 rd mag with finger extention for a better grip on both, and to better resist recoil/flip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I concur that SpeedSights are great - have them on my PPQ M2.
I've been waiting for them to come out with a model to fit the PPQ SC/ PPS M2, but so far, there's nothing available for those models on their web site. My latest email inquiries have gone unanswered, although the last word I got several months ago, was that they were "being developed".
I'd really appreciate knowing how/where did you got these sights for the PPQ SC..? TIA!

As for recoil, I added a RSA with a metal guide rod to add some weight. It seemed to help, as did using the larger 15 rd mags. But I never thought the recoil/flip was ever worse than my PPS M2 - felt about the same using the smaller mags in each. I like to carry the PPS with the 7 or 8 rd mags, and the PPQ SC with the 10 rd mag with finger extention for a better grip on both, and to better resist recoil/flip.
Shooting the PPS M2 and the PPQ SC back to back is like night and day, to me at least. I carry the stock 6 round in the PPS (I’ve had the MagGuts installed in it for over 2,000 rounds) and even with that pinky hanging off the grip I feel like I have more control over the firearm throughout the shot than I do with the SC. Lots of “regripping” between shots with the SC compared to the repetitive snaps of the PPS. If I had more disposable income I would have played around with recoil assemblies/springs, maybe taken it to the gunsmith to see what they thought maybe there’s something to be done to make it more manageable, but I ended up selling it. We’re sticking with our PPS m2’s for EDC’s and we added a PPQ m1/Classic w/ some 17rd mags to the family for range days and let’s be honest here, the PPQ is small enough to carry around if for some reason we have to. Best thing to come out of my PPQ SC debacle was my discovery of the Bravo Torsion holster and how well it hides full size double stacks without the added bulk of a mod wing/claw. The PPQ SC is a fine gun, I would consider buying it again under three conditions, first, if I figured out a way to make those grip sleeves feel more stable, second, if I found a good aftermarket recoil reduction RSA, and last but not least, if it were between $300-$350, preferably less, especially with the PPS being $250 out the door these days.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good luck with that. I personally love the SC but then I have to because my wife has commandeered my M1 and my SIG P938 for daily carry. I do have a Pachmayr grip sleeve which I installed using hairspray so it sticks pretty well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.