Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about another carry gun and kinda narrowed it down between a SC Q and PPS 2.0

Anyone have any perspectives on the two....

PPS is slightly smaller @ 6.3" vs 6.6 and slightly taller at 4.9 vs 4.4.

I've got a full size 9 Q and .45 Q so I am comfortable with the platform...

Just would like to hear some real-world observations.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Friends, throw a p99c into the above mix. Someone just offered me one on a trade and if possible I'd like to hear perspectives between the 3: p99c, PPS, and PPQsc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m keeping my PPS m1, I thought long and hard and have a PPQ but both have the paddle release I like and if I switched to the PPQsc then I would have to surrender to the button. For me that’s too much of a sacrifice but I suspect it boils down to individual preference and if the clothes you wear allow you to carry the extra width.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
If I wanted a gun that would do double duty as a home defense and a CCW, I'd get the POQsc.

If I already had home defense covered and this gun would be my EDC, I'd get the PPS.

If my preferred method of carry was AIWB, I'd get the P99c.

If this was going to primarily be a range gun, used for extended range sessions trying to shoot the best I could, I'd choose the PPQs.

If I wanted a piece of history, was a bit of a collector or just plain liked it more, I'd get the P99c.

I reality, I own all three. All are good guns that are easy to shoot and reliably go boom when you pull the trigger. All are more accurate than is required for defensive type shooting.

They may have little advantages over one another in certain situations but all of them are good.

You can prioritize by your expected uses or just go with the one that you like best.

Here's another way to look at it, the P99c might no longer be manufactured. If you sort of want one, pick this one up while you have the chance.

Regards and best of luck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Please never call it a 2.0 again. We're not Smith and Wesson lol.

Honestly though they're all good guns go with the one that fits well in your hand and you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thinking about another carry gun and kinda narrowed it down between a SC Q and PPS 2.0

Anyone have any perspectives on the two....

PPS is slightly smaller @ 6.3" vs 6.6 and slightly taller at 4.9 vs 4.4.

I've got a full size 9 Q and .45 Q so I am comfortable with the platform...

Just would like to hear some real-world observations.
I think it comes down to how thin you want your end package to be and how you feel about grips. the SC's going to be just as thick with a short grip and if you lengthen it with a magazine you end up with a PPQ package anyway, the PPS is going to be much thinner with a short grip that you can adjust with the different magazines. I too carry the PPQ so I never end up using it with anything other than an 8 round magazine, which ends up making it about the same size as a 10 round G48, so keep that in mind. I've got some pictures comparing the two in the PPS forum. Admittedly the shorter grip with extensions is nice that it gives you the option to have a short grip for carry and a long for reloads but I generally don't think it's worth the uncomfortable grip for the most important shots.

Personally I would recommend the PPS because I don't think you're going to see a big benefit from the PPQ to the PPQ SC in concealment. Personally I find it's the thickness of the firearm that's the most important for making it really small. Also you can get a PPS in a pocket. Vedder makes a great pocket holster with a thumb break.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to all who helped me out here. It's much appreciated.

I'm going with the P99c AS as, Jimmo, I am a bit of a collector and love history.

I also like the idea of carrying in "DA" and not "SA" striker fired plus my PPQ mags can do double duty.

It comes with night sights and 3 mags so I think I'm doing fine in a trade I'll be making.

They are forecasting 12" of snow here in the Seattle/Puget Sound area so life as we know it will come to an end and I'll probably be able to do the deal some time in May after the thaw. Pics and range report when I get the gun.

Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Heya Redcoat- well, it looks like I'm coming in at the tail end of the conversation, as your last post is that you've decided.

I do just want to add tho, that another argument in favor of your choice is that the p99c is no longer being listed in some of Walther's catalogs, so there's that rumor that it's been discontinued.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Many thanks to all who helped me out here. It's much appreciated.

I'm going with the P99c AS as, Jimmo, I am a bit of a collector and love history.

I also like the idea of carrying in "DA" and not "SA" striker fired plus my PPQ mags can do double duty.

It comes with night sights and 3 mags so I think I'm doing fine in a trade I'll be making.

They are forecasting 12" of snow here in the Seattle/Puget Sound area so life as we know it will come to an end and I'll probably be able to do the deal some time in May after the thaw. Pics and range report when I get the gun.

Again, thanks for the help.
A fine choice for many reasons! I am sure you will like it. They are unique in the striker fired pistol world. I am surprised they did not "catch on" with the general public more than they did. Maybe the marketing was bad or just not there.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Regards

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hey Redcoat, the P99 mags only work with the M1 versions of the PPq. If you have a PPQ m2 (i.e. you already prefer a button like I do). Then you want a PPQsc.

Truthfully I own both as well, and my PPSM2 is my favorite carry gun. It’s flatter and conceals really well. With a 7 round mag I get a full grip on the gun. I love my SC, but you really need the pinky extension mag in order to get a good grip. But my SC is the second gun I carry- usually in an off body bag. (as a backup to my PPS).

I have also owned a P99c. And I just didn’t like it initially. It seemed to me, a snappier recoil than the standard Q or PPS, but in reality, it’s pretty similar to the SC. I also don’t like the DA/SA trigger. My brother has that gun now, and because he is left handed, he loves the paddles (different strokes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
P99c definitely! I've been carrying mine for four years. I have a PPS M2 too and it's great but only gets limited carry time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ekjunge: It is an M1 with the paddle release. That's one of the reasons I like it. Have the m1 version on my Q and I'm real comfortable with it. Plus, for me DA/SA is my preferred mode. I'm down to two striker-fired pistols now....M&P 2.0 in 9 & .45 and Qs in 9 & 45. Everything else I own is hammer fired....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Then yeah, it’s a no brained- P99c. And if you look really hard you Iggy be able to find a full size P99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts