Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I've seen something on this....but can't find it. Olefart, Mystro and others...what do you think of carrying this gun. The possible negative would be the short trigger pull with no safety or decocker.

I think it would make a great carry gun....unless the above makes it too dangerous....I think proper draw and holstering would make it ok...will be interested in opinions. thanks

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Katie Joe.....the PPQ is carried by MANY. I carry a PPQ 99% of the time. A good holster is certainly important....as well as paying proper attention to holstering/unholstering the pistol.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I've carried a Q for work and play since 2011....either the 9mm Navy PPQ or the Q45.

It is a great carry weapon and with the proper holster and belt you will love it.

Reactions: shokl8

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holster?

Katie Joe.....the PPQ is carried by MANY. I carry a PPQ 99% of the time. A good holster is certainly important....as well as paying proper attention to holstering/unholstering the pistol.

Suggestions on holster....I have a High Noon Kydex Ultimate Light ordered for PPQ from their sale...could go with something else if better. The same holster is great for my P365, but would like to carry Q a good bit. thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why do people think that the ppq is *unsafe* to carry? The trigger isn't that light and it has more take up than most other striker fired guns. I have no hesitations about using either of my ppqs for potential self defense situations but that's just me and I've never had to use a weapon in self defense so do what is right for you

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Katie Joe, there's oodles and gobs of holsters out there. Most people will go thru a few to many holsters searching for the one they like....winding up with a drawer full of holsters. However, in the end, they'll ALL swear up and down that their current carry holster is the best on the planet. And I have no doubt, they've made the best choice for them. But, selecting a holster can be a very subjective thing.

Personally, I wasn't having a lot of luck finding what I was looking for, so I simply started making my own. Yep, they're the best on the planet....at least for me. :D

Generally, a kydex holster made for a specific firearm will not fit another firearm. I couldn't find a picture of the High Noon Ultimate holster you referenced, but, I don't see how a kydex holster made to fit a PPQ could/would fit a Sig P365. Spend the money and get a holster made for a particular gun, and purpose. Not only will it function better, it'll be safer too.

In the picture below, I'm in the process of making some holsters for a Magnum Research MR40 4.5". After looking at that kydex, do you really think it'll fit anything other than a MR 40?

·
Registered
160 Posts
It seems I've seen something on this....but can't find it. Olefart, Mystro and others...what do you think of carrying this gun. The possible negative would be the short trigger pull with no safety or decocker.

I think it would make a great carry gun....unless the above makes it too dangerous....I think proper draw and holstering would make it ok...will be interested in opinions. thanks
I carried a regular sized HK VP9 ( same basic size and weight ) for about 3 years, and for a male, I had no problems with it. It did print some, but my state also allows for open carry, so I wasn't too worried about people seeing the shape under my shirt.
Now, it might be different for a female, if you are concerned with trying to make it as unobvious as possible. Due to the difference in body shape, and the need for different types of apparel.
If that's going to be a big influence, then definitely stick with the smaller p365. Or a PPS. Or a p99c, or even a PPQsc. Tho the first two are the smaller package single stacks. More concealable.
(Edit- what do we consider the p365? Single or double? Capacity wise, it's a double. Size wise, it's a single.)

There is a saying, that carries a lot of truth. "We'll only carry what we're comfortable with." Mileage on that varies, but we will carry to what is our preference, or our need. If YOU feel that you are proficient enough with this weapon, and once you get a holster for it, You are comfortable doing test draw and fire, and test holstering, that you feel like you are a safe gun carrier, then by all means, go with it :)
My biggest advice, is the draw fire testing. If you can pull it, fire from the hip or waist, without it going "click" before you intend it to, moving as fast as you can, then you and that particular pistol are relatively safe weapon carriers.
If not, then keep practicing, but keep carrying the weapon that you Can do that with. At least until there is no "click" that you don't mean to have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Katie

The real question you have to answer is what will I be wearing. I carried a PPQ M1 for a couple of years and it conceals fine with the right cloths. Jackets, Sport coat, and Hawaiian style shirts. Women are shaped differently but generally these should work for women as well. You are most concerned about the length of the grip and not the barrel. Avoid tapered or fitted tops, go for tops that fall straight down. Avoid fabrics that like silk as they tend to follow the contours of the gun rather than masking it, thus the Hawaiian shirts. Buy shirts one size larger. By far the best type holsters for concealment are the Inside the Waistband, such as Crossbreed or AlienGear. They tend to hold the grip closer to the body than Outside Waistband holsters. Like the shirts, if you are going with IWB get your pants (dresses) on size larger around the waist.

The key is once you put gun on, forget you are wearing it. My job is requires me to identify potential threats, one give away is people who are conscious of the gun. They tend not to move normally or favor the side the gun is on or fidget with the holster when they think no one is looking. Unless you are being watched by LEO or security people, most people will not be aware you are carrying unless you draw attention to it.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
^^^^^All good info.

Yes, carrying IWB will normally keep the pistol tucked in closer to your body than an OWB holster. More than once, I've been in close proximity with one or more police officers....even carrying on a conversation. I'm probably watching them (I watch everybody, BTW) with the same intensity/interest as they're paying to me. All while doing my best not to be obvious...meaning NOT simply staring. I'm always watching thier eyes to see where they're looking (what part of me....meaning at my belt line or looking at my face/eyes). I remember one time when I dropped by a benefit they were having at Chick-fil-a...raising money for a recently fallen officer. They had a t-shirt booth set up in the parking lot and there were cops everywhere. I showed up, carrying my PPQ, IWB, and I'd bet my left nut, no one was the wiser. I talked to a few officers, bought 2 t-shirts and left.

So, what you wear, and how you carry yourself....how you act, walk, mingle, etc. ALL play a role in being able to blend in with the crowd. You, DON'T want to be a 'stand out' in the crowd. AND, those Hawaiian shirts ALWAYS make me look twice. :D Yes, I have a couple of those....wore em' a couple of times....they simply made me stick out in the crowd. It's one size larger t-shirts for me. But since Texas has approved 'open carry', I am now carrying OWB, shirt tucked in....90% of the time.

So experiment, and find what works for you. Most importantly, you don't want to call attention to yourself.....you want to fit in....look normal, dress normal (for the area and season).....your movements need to be fluid and natural/normal.....fit in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reaction Lite

Katie Joe, there's oodles and gobs of holsters out there. Most people will go thru a few to many holsters searching for the one they like....winding up with a drawer full of holsters. However, in the end, they'll ALL swear up and down that their current carry holster is the best on the planet. And I have no doubt, they've made the best choice for them. But, selecting a holster can be a very subjective thing.

Personally, I wasn't having a lot of luck finding what I was looking for, so I simply started making my own. Yep, they're the best on the planet....at least for me. :D

Generally, a kydex holster made for a specific firearm will not fit another firearm. I couldn't find a picture of the High Noon Ultimate holster you referenced, but, I don't see how a kydex holster made to fit a PPQ could/would fit a Sig P365. Spend the money and get a holster made for a particular gun, and purpose. Not only will it function better, it'll be safer too.

In the picture below, I'm in the process of making some holsters for a Magnum Research MR40 4.5". After looking at that kydex, do you really think it'll fit anything other than a MR 40?

is the name of the High Noon Holster...go to their website, Kydex and you will see it. I ordered one specifically for my PPQm2

·
Registered
343 Posts
I literally just sat down after some cleaning that included putting away a box full of my old holsters that I'll never use again. Be prepared to try multiple before you find what really works for you. I'll leave leather recommendations to others, but for Kydex it's hard to go wrong with JM Custom Kydex- they have a whole range of different IWB options with different well-thought-out features.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Theis Holsters. I have been using one daily to carry a PPQ. There are small details, such as full slide length sweat guard and the end of the holster molded over the muzzle, Theis gets right. The full length sweat guard protects you from being rubbed raw by the rear sight. If you ever re-holster a hot pistol in an open ended inside the waist holster, you'll appreciate the protection having the holster molded over the muzzle affords.

This is the holster my wife and I use-
https://theisholsters.com/products.php?productId=17

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thinking of also getting a P99 AS 9mm also

Want another Walther as I like my Q so much...do you think the above P99 is a good choice or a mistake?

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Want another Walther as I like my Q so much...do you think the above P99 is a good choice or a mistake?
Joe, the P99C is an excellent pistol. The trigger is a little different, offering a total of three different methods of operation...AS, anti-stress, SA, single action, and DA, Double Action.

In addition, many people prefer carrying the P99 or P99C simply because allows carrying the pistol in de-cocked and in double action mode.

You can read about the P99 trigger here https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/33787-walther-p99-trigger-systems.html

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holster

Joe, the P99C is an excellent pistol. The trigger is a little different, offering a total of three different methods of operation...AS, anti-stress, SA, single action, and DA, Double Action.

In addition, many people prefer carrying the P99 or P99C simply because allows carrying the pistol in de-cocked and in double action mode.

You can read about the P99 trigger here https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/33787-walther-p99-trigger-systems.html

You mentioned you carry Q's ....what holster do you use, please for PPQ 4"

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Hello Joe. For the most part, I make my own....they're a hybrid, kydex shell and leather backing. These are for IWB, but, since I'm mostly carrying OWB now, I've been using holsters from K-Mech.com. I also have some OWB hosters from Safariland. Most recently, I picked up a holster from Garrett holsters (https://www.giholsters.com) ....kydex with leather lining .... extremely nice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Which Garrett Holster?

Hello Joe. For the most part, I make my own....they're a hybrid, kydex shell and leather backing. These are for IWB, but, since I'm mostly carrying OWB now, I've been using holsters from K-Mech.com. I also have some OWB hosters from Safariland. Most recently, I picked up a holster from Garrett holsters (https://www.giholsters.com) ....kydex with leather lining .... extremely nice.

Garrett site looks interesting...which model did you get?

also, do you not find the PPQ m2 9mm 4" barrel cumbersome to carry- thanks

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Katie, in all honesty, with the correct holster, ride height, belt location and cant, I can carry a 4" as easily as a 5". To answer your question, I do not find carrying a 4" or 5" pistol cumbersome. Actually, I find it quite comfortable....so comfortable, I almost forget I have it on. I've been carrying a 4" Q all day today....its just not a problem.

I purchased the Silent Thunder STX holster https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hst1400.htm

1 - 20 of 39 Posts