Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my Q....would like another Walther. How would P99 compare? Is trigger as sweet as on the Q? Would love to hear from Olefart and Mystro...and others of course. Those who have both guns would be ideal.

Also, other suggestions for another Walther welcome

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
My PPQ Classic is nice but I prefer my P99 and P99c. In SA mode they are much sweeter than the Q trigger and that is saying something. But that's just one opinion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you've been shooting a DA/SA pistol, and want to utilize the decocked carry feature of an AS, it's a magnificent trigger. Would even go so far as to say a work of art. Decocked, and pulling the trigger DA is like silk on silk, buttery smooth. The pull weight is deceptive. They measure it at 5+ lbs. But it hardly feels like it.
One long stroke, hit a somewhat definitive wall, then click/bang.
Reset is shoooort. Like, let off the pressure and twitch your finger kind of short. Maybe add about half of what you've got on your Q and that's the P99. Maybe 1/4 of what you've got.
SA mode is kinda weird tho. To me. If you rack the slide and do nothing with the trigger, it will go all the way forward. Then when you get it halfway to the trigger guard, it will click. Like a false break. You can either let the trigger stay there, til you're ready to shoot, or go ahead and pull through to click/bang.
Aside from that little oddity, and the very slight bit more reset, the Q is the same as SA mode.

You've been debating this for a while, "pull the trigger" you won't regret it.
I think that they're out of p99c that they were offering for 350 right now. My seller that sold me my p99c is out of them except for. 40 but I only paid about 20 bucks more, I think. If ur interested.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I own a PPQ and my son has a P99 AS that I have fired quite a bit. While both are terrific pistols I prefer my PPQ and shoot it a bit better. For myself I don't like that the P99 trigger breaks farther back than on the PPQ. I did not find the P99 SA trigger release to be any better than my PPQ, both are outstanding.

Your best bet by far is to try a P99 AS for yourself and see what you think.

If I were to buy another Walther it would be the PPQ 45 or a PPQ 9MM 5" barrel model.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For EDC the 99 all the way. Love the PPQ but the 99 is a “safer” alternative for edc. The trigger is made for EDC.
J

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I believe if you search the threads here you'll find we have been having this conversation since 2011 with no discernible answer or change in opinion.

I'm not going to be much help, I carry either but prefer my PPQs. It just depends upon the task. If I am on the water the Navy Q or Q45 but on occasion I am required to carry something that has a DA trigger and therefore I go with the P99 or P99c...

Grip and accuracy are great in both weapons...I love both. Today I'm carrying my Q45.
I doubt this thread will resolve the issue but it should be a fun read.

Reactions: Dukes4aces

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a P99 AS 9mm

If you've been shooting a DA/SA pistol, and want to utilize the decocked carry feature of an AS, it's a magnificent trigger. Would even go so far as to say a work of art. Decocked, and pulling the trigger DA is like silk on silk, buttery smooth. The pull weight is deceptive. They measure it at 5+ lbs. But it hardly feels like it.
One long stroke, hit a somewhat definitive wall, then click/bang.
Reset is shoooort. Like, let off the pressure and twitch your finger kind of short. Maybe add about half of what you've got on your Q and that's the P99. Maybe 1/4 of what you've got.
SA mode is kinda weird tho. To me. If you rack the slide and do nothing with the trigger, it will go all the way forward. Then when you get it halfway to the trigger guard, it will click. Like a false break. You can either let the trigger stay there, til you're ready to shoot, or go ahead and pull through to click/bang.
Aside from that little oddity, and the very slight bit more reset, the Q is the same as SA mode.

You've been debating this for a while, "pull the trigger" you won't regret it.
I think that they're out of p99c that they were offering for 350 right now. My seller that sold me my p99c is out of them except for. 40 but I only paid about 20 bucks more, I think. If ur interested.

I have & love the Q...would like another Walther. From your post, it sounds like you think the P99 would be a good choice...am I correct?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I have & love the Q...would like another Walther.
I'm curious. Why narrow it down to a manufacturer? Nobody carries a manufacturer. They carry a model from that manufacturer.

I would list the traits or characteristics of a pistol that you are looking for, and then ask for choices in regards to that, and if it so happens to be a Walther that you are looking for, then so be it. Try shooting as many different pistols and designs as possible until you figure out what you prefer in regards to weight, frame material, trigger action, size, control layout, caliber, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back in the early 2000s I carried a P99 in 9MM on duty. It was extremely accurate. I absolutely loved the SA trigger.
Unfortunately, I traded it for a P99 in .40S&W that I hated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The P99 is James Bond. Not that it’s the gun he carried but that is is the intelligent gentleman of wealth and taste. The image of Bond. It’s a thinking man’s gun. A Glock slob is mystified by the decocker. The grip fits like a $250 pair of blue jeans. If you don’t have one you very well may not love yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts