Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to renew my range membership and had some extra time so I decided to send a few rounds down range from both my Q45 and my P99.

I’d injured my hand a few weeks ago so I knew it would be interesting shooting.

I was shooting GECO FMJ 230 for the 45 and GECO FMJ 124 for the 9mm at 25 to 55 feet from my Wright Regulator Holsters. I shot two and three round strings as quickly as I could present to target.

I started with the Q45 and then went to the P99. Both weapons were flawless in their function.

The Q45 sits well in one’s hand and is a natural pointer. It comes easily to target and drops quickly for the next round. I find even in the Florida heat the grip gives me no trouble. Why Walther waited so long to produce a 45 is a mystery. They created a winner on the first try!

My P99 as always is a businesslike weapon. While not as much fun to shoot as a Q, it certainly gets the job done. When I shoot it by itself I’m extremely accurate with it but today after the 45 I was shooting high left especially at distance.

Still both weapons were as I said flawless I just wish I had been…

Not my best day at the range...

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Nice groups! But what else is to be expected. I knew I was on to something when I was shooting my initial Walther, the PPX.

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I enjoy seeing the various "racing" Qs that Walther offers and some of the things that folks have done to their P99s but to me these are work weapons made to be run under difficult circumstances with almost any ammo.

That means a bare minimum of changes and "upgrades". Rugged sights that can be racked on your belt or shoe (a rock if need be), and RSA that isn't going to fail in dirt, grime or water and nothing attached to the rail.

Again I love the 5" Qs and all the others but when push comes to shove give me my plain ol Q45 with the TFX Pros and the BT guide rod and I'll jump right in the barrel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ooo. My two favorite pistols in action. Good day at the range!

·
Registered
499 Posts
This inspired me to get out to the range with the PPQ45 and a PPQ M1 5".

From 25 to 35 ft., shooting the bullseye and also the head and some of the other numbers on the target. The PPQ45 is on the left. Mostly slow fire w/ some double taps. Also shot some strings with follow-up shots as soon as I was back on target.

Fun shooting !

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a PPQ45 M2 and love it. Five 230 grain Bear Creek flat points, 50 yards.

The OEM sights printed high and have since been replaced with the Trijicon fiber optic front and the same company's plain black, serrated rear. This makes for a much tighter, clearer sight picture and it now plops them on the top center edge of the front sight at 50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks fellas. I'd have taken a paddle model but this M2 sorta fell in my lap. Button or paddle, it's all a matter of getting used to the gun.

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If that Q45 was only a paddle model.....
When the Q45 came out I wondered if I'd have issues transitioning between paddles and the Q45's button. Surprisingly enough I seem to have no issues.

I think it might be because the Q45 is slightly thicker than my Navy Q or P99 and I use my thumb to release the mag on the 45 (remember I'm shooting one handed) and I use my middle finger to release the mag on my paddle weapons...I'm not troubled.

If that is the only reason your are avoiding a Q45 you may want to rethink things...rent one. Shoot it and find out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts