Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up Q45 suppressor ready model a few months ago brand new. I've put about 600 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 230 grain through the gun and another 200 rounds of Federal 230 grain. Using the stock 12 round mags and the gun is not modified.

The gun is having some serious extraction issues with removing spent casings.
I've had over 20 stove pipes within those 800 rounds. Given that my other PPQ's have 1000's of rounds through them without a single malfunction to date and I do not clean them religiously, something is definitely wrong with this one.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue with their Q45. I wasn't even going to make a thread about this because I'm not trying to bad mouth Walther, but I was generally curious if anyone else has experienced it also.

https://imgur.com/a/xXJ6nrE
http://imgur.com/a/OTQ94Ej
http://i.imgur.com/ZBlYLeF.jpg

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Those aren't 'stove pipes'. Looks to me like the extractor claw is slipping off the rim of the cartridge case. I'd wonder about a tight chamber (maybe).....easy to check. Or poop behind the extractor claw. If the case is not stuck in the chamber and the extractor claw is clean and looks good, I'd probably order a extra extractor and spring JFTHOI....put em in and see how the gun runs.

Actually I think you need to contact Walther.

Here's a stove pipe.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those aren't 'stove pipes'. Looks to me like the extractor claw is slipping off the rim of the cartridge case. I'd wonder about a tight chamber (maybe).....easy to check. Or poop behind the extractor claw. If the case is not stuck in the chamber and the extractor claw is clean and looks good, I'd probably order a extra extractor and spring JFTHOI....put em in and see how the gun runs.

Actually I think you need to contact Walther.

Here's a stove pipe.

Thanks for the clarification.
I planned on contacting Walther, but I wanted to look into it before I shipped it off. Haven’t touched one of these internally yet, but now seems to be the time.
I’ll check out the things you mentioned and see what I find.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Same thoughts as above. Remove/clean extractor. If you call Walther, and you tell them you are capable of swapping the parts, they may send you a new one at no cost.

As a test, does a round easily fall into the chamber and fall back out?

Dave

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok gentlemen,

The brass cases fall out of the barrel easily. Took a look at some of my old brass and damn near all of them have this strange mark on them, it’s in the pics below.

After taking apart my other PPQ’s and looking at the extractor on them and comparing it to my Q45 it appears that my Q45 one is missing a piece of steel. It looks as if a little piece on the edge broke off? I tried to take a pic of it so you guys can see. Haven’t the slightest clue how that happened, I have a feeling it was like that from day one.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
From what I can tell, looking at your pictures, I agree.....part of your extractor claw is missing. I checked my Q 45.....it certainly looks different from yours. And THAT would account for the claw slipping off the rim of the case and leaving the case partially in the chamber.

Call Walther.....send em' the picture if needed.

The extractor is super easy to remove/install....AND, while you're at it maybe you can ducktape the slide to the hood of your Bronco and drive thru the car wash. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I can tell, looking at your pictures, I agree.....part of your extractor claw is missing. I checked my Q 45.....it certainly looks different from yours. And THAT would account for the claw slipping off the rim of the case and leaving the case partially in the chamber.

Call Walther.....send em' the picture if needed.

The extractor is super easy to remove/install....AND, while you're at it maybe you can ducktape the slide to the hood of your Bronco and drive thru the car wash. :D
Yeah it definitely broke off, I’ll give Walther a buzz tomorrow and see if they will send me out a new extractor. Yup, I run my range toys a little dirty:D , but not my carry gun. That’s nothing compared to this Walther sponsored shooter I came across on Instagram. He mentioned he had 10K rounds through his PPQ before he cleaned it....hahah The feed ramp was so caked up with grime.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I touched base with Walther customer service this morning, and they are shipping me out a new extractor. They were going to charge me for it initially, but after talking to rep he opted to ship it out to me for free. Mentioned they prefer not to ship out parts over a certain dollar amount because they think people will resale them. Fair enough.;)

Good customer service.

I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get the new extractor in and fire off some rounds.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I've had over 20 stove pipes within those 800 rounds.
The first two pictures show failure to extract malfunctions (or "double-feed" malfunctions). The third pictures shows a failure to eject malfunction (or a "stovepipe").

How were you loading the first round into the chamber? Were you loading it directly into the ejection port, or were you using the magazine?

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Looking at your chipped extractor with most of the claw/hook gone, I have a question. Have your ever, or do you make a habit of locking the slide back, inserting a round into the chamber, then thumb the slide lock, releasing the slide to spring forward into battery, forcing the extractor claw to impact the rim of the case and jump over the rim?

Other n' that, I can't figure out how your claw got damaged.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first two pictures show failure to extract malfunctions (or "double-feed" malfunctions). The third pictures shows a failure to eject malfunction (or a "stovepipe").

How were you loading the first round into the chamber? Were you loading it directly into the ejection port, or were you using the magazine?
All rounds were loaded with the magazine. I’ve never even loaded a round through the ejection port on any gun, but now I’m curious.:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking at your chipped extractor with most of the claw/hook gone, I have a question. Have your ever, or do you make a habit of locking the slide back, inserting a round into the chamber, then thumb the slide lock, releasing the slide to spring forward into battery, forcing the extractor claw to impact the rim of the case and jump over the rim?

Other n' that, I can't figure out how your claw got damaged.
Nope, I’ve never done that. This gun was malfunctioning within the first 100 rounds I put through it. I chalked it up as being new and needing a “break-in” period. Even though my gut feeling was completely different considering my other PPQ’s run like sewing machines.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
All rounds were loaded with the magazine. I’ve never even loaded a round through the ejection port on any gun, but now I’m curious.
You've been doing it the right way.

Loading a round directly into the chamber through the ejection port can cause damage to the extractor when the slide slams back into battery.

I chalked it up as being new and needing a “break-in” period. Even though my gut feeling was completely different considering my other PPQ’s run like sewing machines.
Failure to extract malfunctions are always either a gun and/or ammunition issue. When you get the pistol back, look at the extractor and make sure you notice a difference. I don't have a PPQ 45 to compare but others on this thread seem to indicate that theirs do not look like yours.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.