Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on the Walther website that they sell the PPQ M2 configured with optional XS F8 night sights.

Has anyone had the chance to shoot one from Walther with these sights? Just wondering about the accuracy, functionality and your preference.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
I never tried the XS sights but finally had a chance to try the try the tritium Speed Sights. While they are OK I would not use them on my EDC.

They are great for fast target acquisition and reacquisition but frankly not all that much faster than my TFX Pros and where I found them lacking was moderate lighting situations like dusk and dawn where the ambient light closely matches the output of the tritium vials.
During those times it was harder to line up the sights and this is where the combination of a fiberoptic bundle and a tritium vial like the TFX Pro really make a difference.

A further flaw for me is the lack of an aggressive slope on the front of the rear sight for belt racking. This is a deal breaker on a EDC when one may need desperately need to rack a weapon one handed....believe me on this one I know!

Properly installed any night sight will be accurate and function just fine. Sometimes there is a small learning curve but not often.

As to which night sight is best, that should be determined by how you will use the weapon. A range weapon will have different needs than ccw or HD/EDC.

Meeps are goods as are Trijis, the Speed Sights are top notch, as far as I'm concerned the most versatile and robust night sights on the market today are the Tru Glo TFX Pros.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PPQ M2 W/XS F8 Night Sights

I need to weigh in on the PPQ M2 w/XS F8 Night Sights - Buyer Beware - its either a piece of crap or I have a factory defect ? Its probably great if kept locked in a gun safe and Only used for the rare occasion for protection? I'm an active weekend shooter, I put 800 ~ 1,000 rounds per month, light by some standards. My guns are cleaned regularly, never dropped or gun bag hitting any hard surface - No reason for the rear sights to be loose and move.

After several months of reviewing brands, model, calibers and weekly trips to the range to rent every gun in rental stock, read reviews, blogs, comparison video's etc. I finally settled on 2 brands, It was a toss up between a Sig P320 and the PPQ. In July 2018 I paid a visit to my local dealer, as soon as I saw and held the PPQ w/ the XS F8 sights, went in a darkened room, I WAS SOLD. I was informed by my dealer these are a new Factory installed option. I eagerly paid the extra price and walked out with my new PPQ. Within a month the Rear sight was moving freely along the channel. A return trip to my dealer to have sent back to factory. My dealer did ask if the set screw fell out (I had never seen 1) when the receiver was returned from the factory, dealer and I inspected and No Set screw was installed. Same problem has occurred 2 additional times - 1st Aug. 2018, 2nd Oct. 2018, 3rd, Nov. 2018. I just returned from the range and guess what, Now a 4th time !!! Maybe I should be grateful the Super Glue or JB Weld the factory used to repair lasted 6 months??? I'm thoroughly frustrated and my dealer was informed when returned the 3rd time the factory will not accept a return from him - I now need to deal with a customer service rep, oh joy. BTW, I did ask my dealer, I feel he or Walther Arms needs to make me right and refund me or exchange for another brand of equal value. On his recommendation I'll see what transpires with customer service on this return and if it happens a 5th time. If I can't depend on my weapon, its not worth the aggravation. Sorry for the long post, I had to get it off my chest. BTW, after the 2nd return I purchased the Sig P320, Love it and has performed flawlessly

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Welcome to the Forums M. Sorry your sights are giving you fits. It certainly sounds as if you got a bad set of sights for your weapon.

Generally Walther's Ft Smith CS is pretty good especially is you explain what has been happening carefully and calmly. They likely will send you a shipping label.

If it can be resolved have you considered just "biting the bullet" and switching sights? There ARE some great sight systems out there that will hold zero for years no matter what type of abuse you expose your weapon to...

I do hope you manage to get the issue resolved. The Q is an excellent weapon (with the exception of the sights).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need to weigh in on the PPQ M2 w/XS F8 Night Sights - Buyer Beware - its either a piece of crap or I have a factory defect ? Its probably great if kept locked in a gun safe and Only used for the rare occasion for protection? I'm an active weekend shooter, I put 800 ~ 1,000 rounds per month, light by some standards. My guns are cleaned regularly, never dropped or gun bag hitting any hard surface - No reason for the rear sights to be loose and move.

After several months of reviewing brands, model, calibers and weekly trips to the range to rent every gun in rental stock, read reviews, blogs, comparison video's etc. I finally settled on 2 brands, It was a toss up between a Sig P320 and the PPQ. In July 2018 I paid a visit to my local dealer, as soon as I saw and held the PPQ w/ the XS F8 sights, went in a darkened room, I WAS SOLD. I was informed by my dealer these are a new Factory installed option. I eagerly paid the extra price and walked out with my new PPQ. Within a month the Rear sight was moving freely along the channel. A return trip to my dealer to have sent back to factory. My dealer did ask if the set screw fell out (I had never seen 1) when the receiver was returned from the factory, dealer and I inspected and No Set screw was installed. Same problem has occurred 2 additional times - 1st Aug. 2018, 2nd Oct. 2018, 3rd, Nov. 2018. I just returned from the range and guess what, Now a 4th time !!! Maybe I should be grateful the Super Glue or JB Weld the factory used to repair lasted 6 months??? I'm thoroughly frustrated and my dealer was informed when returned the 3rd time the factory will not accept a return from him - I now need to deal with a customer service rep, oh joy. BTW, I did ask my dealer, I feel he or Walther Arms needs to make me right and refund me or exchange for another brand of equal value. On his recommendation I'll see what transpires with customer service on this return and if it happens a 5th time. If I can't depend on my weapon, its not worth the aggravation. Sorry for the long post, I had to get it off my chest. BTW, after the 2nd return I purchased the Sig P320, Love it and has performed flawlessly
Did your sights have a tritium vial in the rear sight? I just bought a PPQ with XS F8 sights through gunbuyer.com and there is no tritium in the rear (although it is marked as an XS product).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently installed the XS F8 night sights on both my PPS M2 and PPQ SC. I find them to be excellent for my needs (YMMV) and like having the same sights on both guns. As for longevity, time will tell, however, FX stands by their products and I was very careful to follow the install instructions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the XS F8 night sights for a little while. I have nothing terrible to say about them except they weren't compatible with me. I have shot too many years with 3 dot sights and it just wasn't easy for me to adapt to a figure 8 sight.

I replaced then with Trijicon HD sights and I couldn't be happier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.