Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hya! Im brand new on this forum and will hopefully will be receiving my own within the month. You guys turned me away from the M&P that I was eyeing and onto this beauty.

Anywho, I was thinking of getting a light for this gun and pictures are increasingly hard to come by because of the guns newness and I was hoping that they lucky bunch on here with their own guns and hardware to pitch in and make post a picture of their gun and light for posterity as well as a little comment on their experience with it and the fitment.

I realize that there are post scattered with pictures and I would repost them if given permission. I also apologize if this thread might seem redundant.

To any that pitch in, Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 150w AIM sub-compaq and a 150w AIM compaq. Both fit but here is a photo of the sub-compaq, I like the look better it doesn't stick out as far.

here is a pix pointed at my mirror, this is in full daytime light. At night its blinding. I had my wife stand about 10 ft away and point it at me, I can't tell she's a woman let alone holding a gun. I'm super impressed with this like for $35. Oh the gun has about 200 rounds on it with the light, works perfect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How is your PPQ functioning with the TLR-3? I put mine on and took it to the range and had multiple failures. When I took it off the gun worked like a champ.
Hmmmm, sorry to hear that. Are you shooting 9mm or .40 S&W? Premium or range ammo? I haven't shot range ammo through it with the light attached. I plan on running some more rounds through it this weekend and I'll try both premium (Fed 165gr HST) and range ammo to see if I can get it to fail. Did it seem to be predominately ejection or loading failures?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Extract from my longer PPQ post on NJGunForum - Walther PPQ - New Jersey Gun Forums

I picked up a Viridian C5L light/laser unit to try. (Apologies for poor quality pictures, if I get time I will retake with better light/quality - however you can also just google for better quality pictures).

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

BEAM INTENSITY/WAVELENGTH: 5mW peak, 532nm, Class IIIa, Continuous Wave
LASER BEAM DIVERGENCE/SPOT SIZE/RANGE: 1.2 mrad, approx. 0.5" diameter at 50 feet, Range up to 100 yards daylight, 2 miles at night
DIMENSIONS/WEIGHT/CONSTRUCTION: 1.900"L x 1.460"H x 1.310"W, 2.344 oz. (including battery), Primarily 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum, front and rear covers in high strength Zytel polymer
USER ADJUSTABLE: Full windage and elevation on laser
POWER SOURCE/BATTERY LIFE: One CR2 3V lithium (included); 4+ hours laser (constant), 7+ hours (pulsing), 1+ hour (tac light and laser)
INSTALLATION: Slides onto tactical rail and locks into place by means of included Mounting Screw.
ACTIVATION AND MODES: Ambidextrous with SMARTLASER Technology, constant beam and multiple pulsing modes
INCLUDED WITH YOUR VIRIDIAN GREEN LASER:CR2 Battery, 3 Unique Rail Sets, 1 Rail Set Pin Removal Tool, 2 Adjustment Wrenches, 2 Mounting Screws, Operator's Manual, Demo DVD

update: photos have been replaced due to switching from the R2 rail set adaptor to the R1 rail set adaptor (that is also suitable for Springfield XD/XDM and S&W M&P.

PHOTOS

FEEDBACK

I like that it has a green laser, and the laser is very easy to visually see at any normal distance, even in daylight. It has ambidextrous controls for on/off which allows the user to use their weak hand thumb or finger to switch the device on. The C5L will remember the last mode used.

It has a variety of modes that can be cycled through by pressing both on/off switches simultaneously and includes. laser only, laser/light, laser/light strobe, laser strobe etc. The ambidextrous switches act as both constant and momentary on/off. The laser is adjustable for windage and elevation and the C5L fits almost all firearms - you can check out the Viridian Fit Chart here http://www.viridiang...ducts/fitchart/. I am still playing with the various fitting adapters to see which one works best with the PPQ.

My main dislike about the C5L is the battery cover. It is metal, yet the housing you screw it into has a plastic thread and it is very easy to damage the thread. You can see from the photos that the battery housing has marks on it, and this is from limited use.

The C5L also adds some additional width to the firearm, as shown in the photos above. This may be fine for home defense but less ideal if you are carrying. Viridian also sell the X5L Gen 2, which is brighter and slightly longer and thinner. I will post re: X5L Gen 2 and the Kaluban Cloak holster later in February (edit: now posted later in this thread)

On the plus side, Viridian customer service is amazingly good, and they are replacing this unit with a brand new one.

note: I just went through a force on force training course and while all students had weapons lights or hand lights not one student used them even in lower light (not dark) scenarios and it is clear that no students had really trained with them sufficiently for it to become instinctive to use. Something to consider if you are paying $100+ on a light...

hth

TheWombat

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey TheWombat,

I have the exact same set up and have holsters on order from Garrett and Raven Concealment. They have yet to arrive. Just wondering what holster you went with to hold the C5L?

Did you get the new ECR system? Viridian didn't make a holster yet for the new system and when I asked they said it wouldn't work with any other holster. But I figured it couldn't be that complicated so when I recieved mine I looked over for a mechanical lever - none, sensor - none. Then I thought hmm... what if I turn it on and pass a magnet over it... and viola'... once I hit a certain spot on the bottom it turned off!

So I plan to insert a magnet into any holster I get at just the right spot and I have instant ON/OFF capability.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Streamlight TLR-3 using the C key. Fits like a glove.

Your TLR-3 must be different than mine. With the C Key, the light will not fit flush at the rear and still have full rail contact, it tilts up. Your pictures seems to show that the light is tilted up a bit, but the rails look like they are parallel to the frame.

On mine, the best fit I can get is with the "E" key, and when fitted leaves a 3/8-1/4" gap between the rear housing and the trigger guard.

See my photo's here: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/18595-surefire-x300-x400-w-ppq.html#post145070

James

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've bought the Kaluban Cloak for ~$80 plus postage and arrived in a week. I've posted photos in the holster thread. While they don't have a version for the Viridian C5L they do have for the X5L Gen 2 and I can confirm that that C5L fits fine in it.

I prefer to manually switch on and off, it is straight forward to do with my weak hand thumb.

hth

TheWombat

·
Registered
181 Posts
IWB without the light using a Theis Hybrid holster - I've posted a review on the holster thread.

OWB with the light using the Kaluban Cloak holster.

Typically if I am carrying in public then it is IWB without the light.

TheWombat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nebo Protec

I just wanted a simple flashlight for mine nothing too fancy. I found this one on Amazon for $40.

NEBO PROTEC:

Output: 190 Lumens
Runtime: 3 hours continuous use
Length: 3.375"
Width: 2.25"
Height: 1.25"
Weight: 0.2 lb
Battery: One CR123A (included)

So far I like it. The controls are not as reachable as the TLR-1 but when using a 2 handed grip it shouldn't be a problem. If you notice the output is 30 lumens more than the TLR-1 though. They also have 2-3 other options that might be right for you but I liked the affordability of this one and all I needed was a light. Note: Reviews for their laser were less than stellar that is why I stayed with just the light.

PROTEC Firearm Lighting | Hand Gun Lighting | Long Gun Lighting | Laser Sights | NEBO Tools

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your TLR-3 must be different than mine. With the C Key, the light will not fit flush at the rear and still have full rail contact, it tilts up. Your pictures seems to show that the light is tilted up a bit, but the rails look like they are parallel to the frame.
Maybe I lucked out with tolerances, who knows. The key is fitting in the slot and there's maybe 1/32" between the light and trigger guard. And yes, it does tilt up ever so slightly. This is my first light so I don't know if it's supposed to do that but at close ranges (10-15 feet) the light spot lines up pretty close with the sights. My guess is that it's not supposed to do that but since this gun is for indoor home defense I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How is your PPQ functioning with the TLR-3? I put mine on and took it to the range and had multiple failures. When I took it off the gun worked like a champ.
Sorry it took me a while to do some testing, I've been fighting an infection the last couple weeks. I went to the range today and got some interesting results. My PPQ is .40 S&W and this trip I brought some 165gr (Federal HST) to try since I hadn't tried that with the light. Low and behold I had 3 failures to feed in the first mag of 12. Followed it up with 50 rounds of 180gr (Federal Champion) range ammo and not a single problem. So I'll stick with 180gr when I have the light on, I have yet to have a problem with that weight. Thanks for prompting me (even if unintentionally) to do some more testing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've now also acquired the Viridian X5L Gen 2 in addition to the Viridian C5L I have previously posted in this thread.

Once again I will update photos with better quality ones when I have the chance to.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

BEAM INTENSITY/WAVELENGTH: 5mW peak, 532nm, Class IIIa, Continuous wave
LASER BEAM DIVERGENCE/SPOT SIZE/RANGE: 1.2 mrad, approx. 0.5" at 50 feet. Up to 100 yards daylight, 2 miles at night
DIMENSIONS/WEIGHT/CONSTRUCTION: 2.84"L x 1.37"H x 1.45" W, 3.3 oz. (including battery), primarily 6061 Aircraft Grade Aluminum, front and rear covers in high strength Zytel(R) polymer
USER ADJUSTABLE: Easy to use windage and elevation adjustments on laser
POWER SOURCE/BATTERY LIFE: 6+ hours of constant laser runtime, 10+ hours of pulsing laser runtime, 60 minutes of laser and light runtime. Unit runs on one CR123A 3v lithium (included).
TACTICAL LIGHT OUTPUT: 154 lumens on continuous, 187 lumens on strobe mode
ACTIVATION AND MODES: Ambidextrous activation and infinite amount of custom operating modes (user can customize laser pulse rate, tactical light strobe rate and light output).
UNIVERSAL MOUNTING SYSTEM: Modular rail set included with unit allows quick mounting to virtually all railed handguns and rifles

The X5L Gen 2 supports the same 6 modes that the C5L does and cycles through them in the same order:
  1. Laser On & Light Off
  2. Laser On & Light On
  3. Laser On & Light Strobe
  4. Laser Pulse & Light Off
  5. Laser Pulse & Light On
  6. Laser Off & Light On
In addition the strobe frequency, pulse frequency and light brightness can be adjusted, and there are ambidextrous controls to support both right and left handed shooters.

FEEDBACK

Build quality remains on par with the C5L i.e. good, however there is one big improvement which is the battery cap. On the C5L this is a potential weak point and requires careful use when replacing the battery. The X5L Gen 2 has a much more robust battery cap (it is actually the housing where the LED bulb fits) and is much easier to use.

In addition to the Battery Cap improvement, the X5L Gen 2 is also brighter and uses the CR123A batteries often found in tactical flashlights. It is however longer in size and so depending on the firearm you are fitting it to you may prefer to use the C5L. For my PPQ I will continue to use the C5L as the light brightness is sufficient for my needs and the overall smaller size of the C5L is preferred to keep the light from protruding past the muzzle.

The Kaluban Cloak holster that I ordered specifically for the PPQ/X5L Gen 2 also works fine in retaining the PPQ with no light attached AND also with the C5L attached to the PPQ.

PHOTOS

Here you can see the X5L protrudes past the muzzle, the housing where the LED bulb is unscrews to allow the battery to be replaced. The ambidextrous circular switch to the rear of the X5L is easy to operate using the weak hand thumb. This is both a constant and a momentary on/off switch.

For these last two photos I have, purely for comparison purposes, placed the C5L on top of the X5L Gen 2 unit.

This first photo shows the difference in length and the similarity in the overall design of the housing

This second photo shows the difference in the battery comparment and also the significant difference in size of the LED light reflector.

Both the C5L and X5L Gen 2 seem to work well.

TheWombat

1 - 20 of 166 Posts