Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PPQ 9mm shoots more acurate then my friend's sig p229 40s&w. Someone said it happening because 40s&w bullet so fat and cannot fly straight all the time. If anyone own both caliber guns to compare?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I do not own both calibers; but I do have the PPQ and P229 in 9mm. From my experience I find both pistols to be accurate. The 229 (in my opinion) has a softer recoil in 9mm than the PPQ. The trigger reset on the 229 is not as nice as the PPQ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a DA/SA P229 in .40 and don't care for it at all. The bonus is that it's issued to me, so I didn't waste my money on it. The trigger stinks and overall, I don't care for it, but I don't have a choice. I have high hopes for the PPQ as I just got it yesterday. I'm going to be using it for IDPA type competitions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
When the 40 S&W first came out some gun writers immediately called it "an inherently inaccurate caliber". Another great writer myth that is held on as fact to this day. The 40 can be as accurate as any other caliber, depending on specific loading and pistol. A lot of the alleged 40 accuracy problems stems from the 40 recoil, both in anticipation and recovery at speed.

I own two SIG Sauer 229 pistols chambered in 40 and both are scary accurate, one ragged hole group accurate. The trigger systems of the PPQ and SIG 229 are very different and one is not better than the other. It depends on personal preference, what the individual shooter shoots the best, and trigger and training time. For me my preference is traditional DA/Sa. Bill

·
Premium Member
14,267 Posts
My PPQ 9mm shoots more acurate then my friend's sig p229 40s&w. Someone said it happening because 40s&w bullet so fat and cannot fly straight all the time. If anyone own both caliber guns to compare?
I own PPQ's in 9mm and 40 S&W. Both guns are accurate. In fact, both guns allow me to shoot the balls off a gnat at 20 yards. Shhhh, I think I can hear my 40 whining a little bit, cuz he was referred to as 'fat'. Or, maybe it's the booze....OK 40, time to get your chit together....lay off tha booze, you bozo, and fly straight. Or maybe it's those baggy pants he's wearin'....catchin' a little too much air....flutterin' in the breeze.:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whoever "Someone" is, is blowing smoke. I've has a couple 40s that were fine shooters, oh and I guess I better get rid of my 45 cause of those fat bullets that's can't fly straight. Ridiculous.

9 vs 40? It's all personal preference, both are excellent pistol rounds. The 40 has more power but more recoil and probably fewer rounds in the mag. The 9 has less power but less recoil and probably more rounds in the mag. There are also other consideration but like I said it's personal preference.

I bought the PPQ 9mm or I should say my wife bought a PPQ 9mm. She shoots the 9 all day long. Shooting a 40 she doesn't enjoy at all.

An by the way welcome to the board.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The .40 S&W is accurate with the right rate of twist. If you have to ask what this is and how it applies then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My P229 in .40 is an extreme tack driver as a typical classic P series SIG pistol is. I love my 9MM PPQ but for .40 I will take my SIG P229 every time. Shooting my P229 in .40 feels like shooting my PPQ in 9MM - maybe even less felt recoil.

Reactions: MFWIC and PolyPP

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the .40 is a bad and inaccurate caliber, then why would 90% of our nations law enforcement and almost every federal law enforcement agency a .40 cal?

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a PPQ, PPS, Sig P228, Sig P226 all in 9mm. They are all great firearms and I am as accurate with all of them.

I find the Sig P226 slightly easier to shoot as it has a fiber optic front sight and is a little heavier in the hand.

My PPQ is my home firearm and my PPS is my carry firearm. I still like to take the Sig P226 to the range at times and it reminds me what a great firearm it is.

note: The P226 and P228 have had trigger work undertaken by GrayGuns which has definitely had a positive effect.

Any differences in accuracy are 95% likely to be due to the shooter, not the firearm.

TheWombat

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hate to bring back old threads. But... I'm currently looking into a P229 in 40. Looking to use it as a home defense / backup ccw. Love and will never sell my PPQ. Just always wanted a Sig.

Reactions: PolyPP

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do not own both calibers; but I do have the PPQ and P229 in 9mm. From my experience I find both pistols to be accurate. The 229 (in my opinion) has a softer recoil in 9mm than the PPQ. The trigger reset on the 229 is not as nice as the PPQ.
The trigger reset on a P229 with a SRT kit is...it most definitely is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Holy old thread Batman...Didnt realize I replied to a year old post..one day short of its anniversary..

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hate to bring back old threads. But... I'm currently looking into a P229 in 40. Looking to use it as a home defense / backup ccw. Love and will never sell my PPQ. Just always wanted a Sig.
Top Gun Supply has a super great deal on a .40 P229 new for $699 if you don't mind not having a rail. I have a P229 in .40 and it easily is my favorite .40 pistol and I bet you will love it. For me felt recoil is less than shooting my PPQ in 9MM. Yeah SIGs are very top tier if you want a hammer fired metal frame pistol.

Sig Sauer P229 .40, SigLite Night Sights, DA/SA - Top Gun Supply

·
Registered
259 Posts
Top Gun Supply has a super great deal on a .40 P229 new for $699 if you don't mind not having a rail. I have a P229 in .40 and it easily is my favorite .40 pistol and I bet you will love it. For me felt recoil is less than shooting my PPQ in 9MM. Yeah SIGs are very top tier if you want a hammer fired metal frame pistol.

Sig Sauer P229 .40, SigLite Night Sights, DA/SA - Top Gun Supply
Holy snikies!! Thanks for that. Seems everywhere they want 850+. I was looking for one with out the rail for a light attachment. BUT I can do with out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
PPQ versus P229 is apples and oranges; both are tasty but in a different way. I have one of each in 9mm, and I have only shot .40 in a SIG P226 (FWIIW, I would jump over .40 to .45 if I moved up in caliber). The PPQ is my current HD gun waiting patiently day and night in my SpeedVault, and I also enjoy it at the range. I love the feel of the gun, and I really like the paddle magazine release.

I love the P229 for the decocker and DA/SA, and the build quality is great. The P229 will probably replace the PPQ as my HD gun when I get a couple of hundred more rounds through it. If I was forced to choose one or the other right now, I would probably go with the SIG. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts