Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anyone know if you can purchase the new Navy striker assembly to put in a standard PPQ? I'd like to do this and drill the holes in the slide as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know if you can purchase the new Navy striker assembly to put in a standard PPQ? I'd like to do this and drill the holes in the slide as well.
I'd like to know as well, and also how easy is it to replace the striker assembly?

Is this something most inexperienced people can do? Or something that should be done by a gunsmith?

Also, is the finish on the slides really the same? I noticed my Navy version had a more "matte" like finish while the standard m1 was a little slicker. When I called Earl's he said the finish was different between the Navy and standard model, but I don't know how true that is. He also said he was the only source for PPQ m1's which didn't sound true, so I don't know if he was trying to talk me into one of the $1900 m1 Navy's he had or if they really do heave a special finish on the slides

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'd like to know as well, and also how easy is it to replace the striker assembly?
It is as easy as can be. All you need is something to press in the small tab on the top-right side of the slide plate, pull the slide plate down, and replace the striker assembly. The Navy striker assembly will drop right in. But there isn't much reason to install a Navy striker assembly in a standard PPQ.

Out of water, I personally think the standard PPQ may actually be more reliable with a wider range of ammunition, due to the weaker striker spring, though I haven't heard of any examples to prove this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^ thank you; if you don't mind, can you expand on why you think it would be more reliable with a weaker striker spring?

My goal is to make the gun as reliable as can be. The threaded barrel isn't so important, and I see how the drainage hole can cause dust to get inside. I was under the impression that a stronger striker spring would be better in or out of water.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,504 Posts
The drainage ports are on the inside and dust isn't a problem....I know, I EDC my Navy Q.

As is, either Q will be extremely reliable.

Unless you are going to be in a marine environment the Navy Q might be over kill.

I am in, on or under the ocean on a daily basis and my Q has "gone swimming" more then once. I want to be sure my weapon will fire even if pulled right out of the water...the stronger striker spring allows for better force if the channel still has liquid in it. It will impact the primer hard enough to ignite the powder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In picture 0009 if you look at the bar that the small spring fits into the one on right does not have the retaining slot as the bar in the one on the left. Don't think it will let the spring slip out but it seems just unfinished to me.
http://www.tanfo.de/0_WA/PPQ_VS_0009.jpg
I believe the slot IS there, it's just that the spring on the right is properly situated in the slot, and the spring on the left has gotten moved a bit to the right, and so is not quite all the way in the slot. Look closely at the locations of the springs, in comparison to each other.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Has anyone tried shooting the regular PPQ underwater to see if it works? I'm about to try it. . . lol.
First, I'd ask why you would want to?

Then, I'd probably suggest that you didn't try this. There is a lot more pressure in the chamber when the bullet has to push a barrel full of water out of the way before it exits the muzzle.

It will probably work, but it isn't optimized to be fired underwater, and the Navy will probably be more reliable in a wider range of conditions or scenarios underwater.

But the question of "why" keeps coming to mind. Finding out if my pistol fires underwater isn't keeping me up at night, though finding out what the previous owners of my pistols that were purchased used did when they owned them, well...

·
Premium Member
8,504 Posts
I will say that the Navy does fire fine underwater....do not use hollow points....

I'll be trying at 2 atmospheres (28 psi) soon and will let everyone know the results.....I'm not chancing it at greater pressures (or depths, greater depths mean greater pressures).

·
Registered
9 Posts
First, I'd ask why you would want to?

Then, I'd probably suggest that you didn't try this. There is a lot more pressure in the chamber when the bullet has to push a barrel full of water out of the way before it exits the muzzle.
So, just to be clear, the PPQ SD Navy IS optimized to be fired underwater. That's one of its "claims to fame". That said, I'm baffled as to why you'd ever want to fire a handgun underwater. Given the ballistics in a hydraulic (as opposed to a pneumatic) environment, I'd guess (JUST a guess) that its effective "kill range" was a couple of inches -- maybe a foot. After that, a bullet would lose all kinetic energy and essentially become a fishing weight. Just saying!

·
Premium Member
8,504 Posts
That said, I'm baffled as to why you'd ever want to fire a handgun underwater.
If your weapon goes "swimming" you still want it to function upon immediate need..that means shooting before the weapon has drained or possibly shooting while the weapon is still submerged.

Your target would likely not be submerged, rather the target would be above the surface and your weapon below. This isn't all that unlikely an occurrence....

Falling (or being pushed) off a doc or canal come readily to mind.

There are better ways to stop someone at distance while underwater, but personally I want my weapon to fire reliably even if it has been is is submerged....the Navy Q is designed to function in or around tough marine environments(read salt water). Shoot a BG 5 meters away while under water...not so much....

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
So, just to be clear, the PPQ SD Navy IS optimized to be fired underwater. That's one of its "claims to fame".
It was designed to work better underwater than the regular PPQ.

That said, I'm baffled as to why you'd ever want to fire a handgun underwater. Given the ballistics in a hydraulic (as opposed to a pneumatic) environment, I'd guess (JUST a guess) that its effective "kill range" was a couple of inches -- maybe a foot. After that, a bullet would lose all kinetic energy and essentially become a fishing weight. Just saying!
I don't want to. I was responding to a post where a member here stated that he was wanting to shoot his pistol underwater.

My main concern would be chamber pressure. I don't have any experience firing pistols underwater, or data from someone who does, but I would imagine that pushing all that water out of the barrel would increase chamber pressure to what could be dangerous levels, and for what?

If I were say, a diver, who carried a pistol while diving, I may have had a different opinion on this subject, but living in a city, with the only body of water I'm likely to encounter being a swimming pool, it isn't a major concern of mine.

They made changes to the PPQ to make it function better underwater. One of those changes was made to the striker spring, where they increased the spring pressure. This may increase reliability underwater to a degree. It may also decrease reliability above water to a degree. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have a pistol that was optimized to fire above water than below, being that I personally am much more likely to use my defensive pistol while dry.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
For what it's worth, this is not meant to undermine anyone who has purchased a Navy model. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, and I would seriously consider carrying one if I were in the position of certain members on this forum who live, work, or travel in or around water on a daily basis.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
For what it's worth, this is not meant to undermine anyone who has purchased a Navy model. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, and I would seriously consider carrying one if I were in the position of certain members on this forum who live, work, or travel in or around water on a daily basis.
Balance: I'm glad you qualified that, so that I and all the other Walter Mittys on the forum can sit down and relax. Myself, I need reassurance of uncompromised defense while I am in the bathtub. I call those once-a-week intervals Really Open Carry.

M

·
Premium Member
8,504 Posts
My Navy Q has gone swimming a few times....personally, I'm more worried about Florida critters in the water then a BG....

But now Mike has me thinking....the Q might have to go along in the bath too...joining my ducky and pirate boat...:D

As to the pressure of the water in the barrel: because water is basically incompressible you aren't talking about moving very much water...a few CC of water in the barrel at maybe 28 psi at 33 feet (sorry about the mixed units here). The pressures involved will not be past barrel specs...but I wouldn't use hollow points...

at just below the surface water pressure and air pressure are the same (or almost) and even though water is denser then air you won't have a problem...it is more allowing the weapon to cycle in this environment...

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Balance: I'm glad you qualified that, so that I and all the other Walter Mittys on the forum can sit down and relax. Myself, I need reassurance of uncompromised defense while I am in the bathtub. I call those once-a-week intervals Really Open Carry.
But now Mike has me thinking....the Q might have to go along in the bath too...joining my ducky and pirate boat...:D
:D

I won't be buying any used Navy models any time soon.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I LOL'ed at balance' post. :D:D:eek:;)

Nahh, people fire AR's, AK's, etc underwater, they have a much longer barrel, bullet, and more velocity, they too don't cause a rupture in the space-time continuum. ;)

The Navy Q, as olsoul mentioned is designed so the slide can cycle properly in extreme wet conditions.

Now, myself, I've never duck hunted in my own bathtub, but I wouldn't be afraid to use a Navy Q for that reason. But I don't like the taste of rubber, and besides, the duckies really belong to the kids...they'd likely complain of their ducks were inexplicably ventilated and incapable of displacement of H2O :D

(I don't even like shooting real ducks, and I think they taste horrible too!)
;)

·
Premium Member
8,504 Posts
21 - 40 of 63 Posts